Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-22-2009

anhinsb is on a distinguished road
Kerosene pressure tank part

I just bought a 1975 29 Ranger. This is my first boat ever and I am constantly learning. I have a kerosene cabin heater(force 10) and stove/oven(shipmate). I figured out how to get the heater going, but I need a part for the pressure tank on the stove. At one time there was a brass nut/ring/cap that threaded onto the tank and retained the pumped pressure. I sent an e-mail with pictures to Sure Marine in Seattle and they pretty much told me that I am out of luck and it's an obsolete part. I want to see if the oven even works... my questions are... 1. Does anyone know how I might get the part for the tank? 2. Where to buy a whole tank if I can't find the part? 3. How to "rig" the cap down to keep the pressure inside?

I have found replacement stoves, but am having trouble locating info on just the tanks. I understand that it is an outdated system, but it is what came with the boat and I would like to exhaust all options before I move on.

Thanks to all. April
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I don't know where you are located, but if there is a used marine equipment store in your area that would be a good place to try. In Victoria where I am there is a sailors exchange that has many used stoves/heaters in stock. Good luck.
Brian
Old 05-15-2010

happypanther1 is on a distinguished road
I just read your post about your shipmate kerosene tank. I have a 1979 Tanzer - same stove, same pressure tank. I had a couple of problems with mine - one I fixed already. The leather gasket inside the pump rotted. I fixed it with a small piece of a leather glove cut into a circle. It fit onto the end of the piston just fine and delivers the same pressure per pump as the origional. My second problem is that the bottom of the pumping cylinder is starting to leak back into the cylinder from the tank. I suspect the little rubber one way valve is the problem. I plan on fixing that by removing the piston assembly, drilling out the small hole in the top threaded part to make it large enough to accept a standard motorcycle tire valve, then seat the valve. That should make it easier to pressurize the tank, plus, if the bottom of the cylinder leaks - I don't care, the air valve at the top will hold the pressure. BTW - we use our stove and oven all the time. Works great. We prime our burners with alcohol although I have seen people use propane torches. Parts for the burners are available through a dealer in Seattle - regards, Rick
Old 05-16-2010

anhinsb is on a distinguished road
What is the name of the dealer?
Old 05-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhinsb View Post
What is the name of the dealer?
It appears my previous post didn't make it - the dealer is Sure Marine Service - they're on the web. Located in Seattle.
Old 05-17-2010

Drop me a line at happypanther1@yahoo.com so we can discuss the solution
Old 05-17-2010

I just got a reply from Sure Marine Services - they don't have the parts we're looking for.
Old 05-24-2010

pressure tank option

I solved the problem of the tank loosing pressure via the old pump system they used. I removed the pump, kept the outter screw ring, found a washer to fit the ring, then inserted a motorcycle tire valve into the washer. Put the two parts together, screw it onto the tank - and it holds pressure when you pump it a couple of times with a small bicycle tire pump. As a matter of fact, it used to take me a good 5 minutes to build up 12 lbs of pressure, now it takes about 2 -3 pumps. Total cost of the 'repair' was $3.25
Old 10-09-2012

msopkiw1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Kerosene pressure tank part

Happypanther1,

I have the same problem as you with my kerosene tank. Do you still monitor this site and can you assist me in any way. Thanks
Old 10-09-2012

Re: Kerosene pressure tank part

I couldn't find any replacement parts so I solved the problem another way. I removed the pump from the top pressure fitting. Then I found a washer that fit in the pressure fitting, then I drilled the centre of the washer to be big enough to "barely" squeeze a regular car tire valve plug through the hole. Then I screwed the pressure screw top onto the tank, filled it with air from a small bicycle pump and it holds pressure better than the old pump system. Cost about $2 for parts, 15 minutes do time to fit it together. Pics available if you send to rbever at telus dot net