Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-24-2009

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
mast shims fell out Tartan 30

On the mast of my Tartan 30The teak mast shims fell out , there are about 8 of them between the mast and the deck hole (mast partner).

Are these the proper items for supporting the mast ?
One comment i found interesting in my search was "The shims are there to hold the mast reasonably straight until all the rigging is in place and properly tuned. Nothing more."

so i am wondering if placing any material at all between the partner and the mast might be the wrong thing to do and cause unwanted contact at that area. Is there supposed to be a support function there ?

I've searched on here and seen good comments for a product spartite, also one thread that suggested using nylon rope and silicone; but the instructions were to use three strands or more .

On my mast partner it is only about 3/4 inch of actual contact area at the top of the partner , then it starts to widen as it is a cone shaped and about 8 inches tall off the deck. So three strands would have the bottom two down into the hole supporting nothing and only the top strand in contact with the partner.

thanks for any help

Last edited by ramminjammin; 07-24-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
rj,
I used spartite on my Islander and it worked great. Never had any water issues around mast or movement / vibration after applying. When I sold the boat 5 years later the spartiite was still holding up. It was a little expensive, but easy to install. Based on my experience with it I would recommend using for your problem.
Old 07-24-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I thought most mast wedges were secured in place with a small screw via a small hole through the side of the mast partner? They are in mine and if I remember right that is how it is described in the original owner's manual.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
You must use wedges, Spartite or something to prevent the mast from moving.
One of your wedges was simply not big enough or not wedge shaped enough and it fell into the cabin.
No big thing. Just remove the boot and drive in another one.

Using properly sized and shaped hardwood wedges, lubricated with some sort of adhesive and driving them home tight is a time tested method.

Spartite is a good product if you are looking at upgrading.

I would not recommend the rope and silicone method.
Old 07-24-2009

fcsob is on a distinguished road
I have also used the Spartite on my Morgan with great results.
Old 07-24-2009

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
thanks

is eight around the right number , seems the more the contact patch the better support , but maybe there is supposed to be some room for "free play " ?

also there was not a wedge on the leading edge towards the bow, and the wedge at the trailing edge , towards the stern, is somewhat crushed .
The previous owner had a hydraulic backstay that was tensioned to 2400 lbs for racing( I am in the process of rebuilding the hydraulic hand pump), and wondering if tensioning the backstay had crushed the wedge ? Is there supposed to be a wedge in the forward edge position ?

thanks

Last edited by ramminjammin; 07-24-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-24-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Not an expert

I'm certainly not an expert but I've read several places that the wedges are just a means of supporting the mast in an upright position until the stays are attached and tightened properly. That being the case you could take them all out once the mast is stepped properly. I'd ask a professional rigger for the correct answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 07-24-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Knothead, who replied above DwayneSpeer, is a professional rigger.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-24-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Knotty...the rope method wont work on this boat...but it worked like a CHARM on two of mine and has the advantages of equal pressure with a bit of give all around the mast...i.e. no hard spots...and it is a great way to waterproof the partners at very low cost.
BTW...this was taught to me by a rigging professional who found it being done in the Caribe and adopted it.
Old 07-25-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Knotty...the rope method wont work on this boat...but it worked like a CHARM on two of mine and has the advantages of equal pressure with a bit of give all around the mast...i.e. no hard spots...and it is a great way to waterproof the partners at very low cost.
BTW...this was taught to me by a rigging professional who found it being done in the Caribe and adopted it.
I've seen it done, and have even tried it. But it can be messy and depending on the line diameter and construction, results can be mixed. It's kind of like caulking a plank. As long a the gap around the mast is pretty constant, it would probably work alright. Usually though, there is quite a variation between the sides and the front and back.

The main point though is that there must be something there.
I remember one spar that was cut clean through nearly 50% of the circumference of the mast where it had been working against the fiberglass deck.
I don't know where this idea that the wedges are not needed once the rigging is set up came from. But it's not accurate at all.