SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Opinions on WM Offshore Sailing Life Vest (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/56506-opinions-wm-offshore-sailing-life-vest.html)

T37Chef 07-24-2009 07:48 PM

Opinions on WM Offshore Sailing Life Vest

I'm looking at purchasing an inflatable life vest with an integral safety harness. I see West Marine has this one on sale for $189.00. (Edit: Not this exact one linked, but the auto version)
West Marine: Offshore Sailing Manual Inflatable Life Vest Product Display

I know its not as "high tech" as the Hydrostatic ones, so I am also curious to hear if any of you have experienced "false" inflations with the either, more likely the non-hydrostatic models?

In addition, I recall hearing that inflatables with integral harnesses are very uncomfortable???

Another question; Some say 2 years, 5 years, etc. "service intervals"? Is this something easily done (using the rearming kits)? And does it makes sense to pay a little more and get the 5 year interval.

I have read the PS reviews but prefer to hear real life experiences, all suggestions comments welcome :D

bubb2 07-24-2009 08:06 PM

Chef, don't do it. You are a nice guy and I like you. This is a manual vest. Buy an Auto vest. Think about taking a boom to the back of the head and going over board. Manual vests will do you no good if you are unconscious. They are not uncomfortable. But get a Auto.

T37Chef 07-24-2009 08:19 PM

Sorry...I should have said that I would only buy a automatic inflatable vest...couldnt find the one in the WM flyer, on-line. Oops

They are advertising a WM Offshore Sailing Inflatable Life Vest Auto/Manual for $189.99?

bubb2 07-24-2009 08:22 PM

Thanks, I feel better. The new style with the neck padding are much more comfortable than they have ever been. Go to a west store and try one on!

T37Chef 07-24-2009 08:26 PM

I would but they don't have a changing room???

blt2ski 07-24-2009 08:27 PM

That looks like a newer version of the Mustangs I have. I have 3 that are labled Mustang, and got my kids WM badged hydrostatic version. 2 of the 3 mustangs are the old pill style, ie also bought before the hydro versions came out.

Certainly worth a trip to WM and see how it fits etc, and if you like it....BUY IT!

Marty

MSN2Travelers 07-24-2009 08:35 PM

Good PFD for the money

Chef,

I have this WM auto inflatable PFD with integral harness. I'm in my second season with this PFD and will tell you it's so comfotable that you don't even know you have it on.

I sail Lake Michigan and have been is some sloppy wet weather and never experienced a "false" inflation.

smackdaddy 07-24-2009 11:55 PM

THIS SEEMED LIKE A PRETTY GOOD DEAL TO ME RIGHT HERE AT SAILNET.

Integrated harness loop and D-ring. It's a lot cheaper here than at West.

Sailnet seems to have really good prices on a lot of stuff. It's weird that more people don't use them. I'm definitely going to.

sailingdog 07-25-2009 12:37 AM

One warning, many of the WM PFDs with integrated harnesses are not designed for people shorter than 5' 8". If you are shorter than that, do NOT buy one, unless you have checked it for yourself. The sales people and the literature really doesn't mention this minor fact, but the PFDs usually have it pretty clearly written on their instructions on the PFD itself. The reason many are not designed for someone shorter than 5'8" is the harness—the harness on many is not height adjustable, and as such will generally sit on the floating ribs rather than the ones that are fixed to the sternum. If you fall against the harness in that case, the ribs may cause serious internal injuries that can result in death by internal bleeding—not a good idea. :) YMMV.

night0wl 07-25-2009 01:12 AM

Hmm. Just got a WM retail insert in the mail today. Looks like the offshore hydrostatic auto inflatable is on clearance for $140. Seems like a good deal, dont know if its a regional sale or what, but I have 2 of these...one for me and one for the wife.