Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-25-2002
rick gleason

Adjustible Genoa Leads, Track & Teflon

Our Bristol 32 has 1" T-track. Schaefer advises that that is too small for adjustible genoa lead gear, particularly with rail mounted curve, and size of boat and
genoa =37'' luff and 20'' LP.

Schaefer also advises that changing the track to 1.25" is a big job, and original 4" oc bolt holes may not line up properly.

Does anyone have experience with changing tracks? Adjustible genoa lead gear?

I thought about this awhile and found out I could get 1/32" teflon sheet and glue it to the underside of the 1" track. I don''t think it would stay glued however.

What about using teflon spray (sold in Marine stores). Is that commonly used?
Would teflon spray help enough so that I would be able to use new adjustible genoa lead gear on our current 1" track effectively?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2002

geohan is on a distinguished road

Rick Gleason; Re adjustable genoa lead gear.

Unless you are flying a deck sweeper with a low clew try a tweeker riding on the sheet between the clew and the fair lead to the winch. Lead the tweeker line to a cleat reachable from the cockpit. Experiment to find the optimum location on the track for the tweeker line''s turning block. The tweeker reduces the loading on the genoa track and you will be pleased with how handy it is to control the genoa leach.
Cheers, George
Old 11-26-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road

If your idea with the teflon is to make the track more slippery so you can adjust the jib lead, you''re right. The teflon will be next to impossible to make stick to the track. The point loads will likely make it buckle as well. You might be better off using some lubricant like oil, (or grease, which would wash off less easily).

What exactly are you trying to do, however? IMHO, I cannot concieve of Bristol putting undersized genoa track on one of their boats. If it has held up for however many years since the boat was built, it must be tough enough for at least some use. (Is it actually a standard Schaefer track, or perhaps something they made especially for Bristol, or something else from another firm, more substantial than what Schaefer makes now?) Is there a reason you need quick-adjusting-under load capabilities? Many people manage by adjusting their windward leads and making a quick tack to get the other side. George''s idea of tweaking the sheet temporarily with another line would make the tacking procedure more workable in racing situations, where you might not want to tack for a while. We have 8:1 tackles on our genoa leads that allow us to adjust them at any time on our J/36. I am amazed at how little we actually change the settings, though. Often it is only at mark roundings, when we go from upwind to a close reach and can''t hold a chute that we need to open the slot a bit. One thing that does make moving "non-tackled" jib cars (we also have a few of those for other things) easier is getting the ones with spring-loaded pins instead of the threaded pins that lock the car in place on the track. Another question would be... how much difference is this going to make in performance on a Bristol 32, and at what cost. Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-27-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

While I agree that adjustable tracks won''t make much of a difference on a Bristol 32, I was a little surprised by your comment that you don''t use the adjusters much on your J-36, which is very similar in concept to my Farr 11.6. I find that we use the adjusters all of the time. We use them as wind speeds change both up and down over the course of a leg, or even when out daysailing. Small changes yield pretty big gains in speed or pointing.

Jeff
Old 11-27-2002

Sailmc is on a distinguished road

Line controled adjustable Genoa leads are real nice to have both for saftey and performance. Besides being able to adjust shape for wind conditions they are a big help when reefing. Besides the obvious benefits of furlers there is a safety issue in not having to leave the cockpit to reef. What''s the point then if you have to leave the cockpit to adjust your cars in heavy weather after reefing your jib? I believe Garhauer makes a line controled genoa car for 1" track. Check the thickness though this can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If your track has a lot of curve to it you might have a problem but Guido at Garhauer will know if their product will work. You can check out their web site. Garhauermarine.com
Old 11-28-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road

I guess we''ve been lucky to have pretty steady breezes and a well-cut/forgiving jib, enabling us to not mess a lot with the leads.
We do adjust them when we switch to a smaller jib, but not having roller-furling means (hopefully) thinking ahead far enough to change headsails before it gets too exciting forward. Performance is improved by having properly set sails, but everything is relative. On a Bristol 32, it might be difficult to measure the difference that moving the lead a foot either way would make.