Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-27-2009

jhack82 is on a distinguished road
mounting things

Hello,
I recently bought a 32 endeavour the lady and I will be living aboard here at the end of august. I am almost done refitting the electrical systems, patched the main sail, and fixed the engine.However, I have run across a few problems that I am looking for advice on. Mainly, I have a compartment I want to stow the pressure water pump, accumulator tank, and the hot water heater, but i am unsure how is best to do this. I am pretty sure I want to mount a board to the hull and then mount the items to the board, but what I am wondering is how is the best way to bind the wood to the hull? the previous owner actually glasses in a new battery shelf, but that seems very complicated, probably because i haven't done it. i saw mention of epoxying items when i did a search on mounting through the forum, if i go that route, what prep work has to be done to the hull? thank you for you time and advice,

regards,
Jordan Hackney
S/V Firefly
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Sand the hull where you want to attach the backing board and wipe with acetone to remove any wax or remaining paint. Mix epoxy and add colloidal silica to thicken it and place on hull. Place board where you want it and tape with duct tape of similar to hold it in place until the epoxy sets. Youn can go over the edges with glass tape and unthickened epoxy resin if you wish but it probably isn't necessary. I'd also seal the wood with epoxy. Here's a link to the use guides on the Gougeon's site (West system) but any reputable brand is fine.
Brian
Old 07-28-2009

OhioTom is on a distinguished road
Small jobs like this are very easy with epoxy. They also give you experience working with those materials for when you want/need to tackle a bigger job.

Just do it.
Old 07-29-2009

jhack82 is on a distinguished road
I was doing the prep tp do this job last night, and I looked at the hull and realized it was a course weave. What is a good way to get teh apint out of all those little ridges, or do i need to to get a bgood bond? thank you

regards,
Jordan hackney
S/V firefly
Old 07-29-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You can use a flap wheel on a drill, a wire wheel, or as I did the little sanding drum on a dremel with a flex drive. The flex drive lets you parallel the hull with the sanding drum and it's small enough to get most of it. You don't have to remove all of it, just most of it. Here's a pic of the results when I glassed in two partial bulkheads in the galley.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
mounting things-006.jpg  

Last edited by mitiempo; 07-29-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: erase mistake