SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Eye splicing New England T-900

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  PalmettoSailor 
#1 ·
I am replacing a halyard with T-900 (5/16"). Any of you have experience eye splicing this stuff? The instructions are more involved than regular double braid and it looks like a bit of a challenge. Any hints? Thanks
DD

#2 ·
My hint is to pay the $25 bucks to have a rigger do it. lol

I've taught myself to do an eye splice in double braid, but I did have the rigger splice my new VPC halyards since its a difficult one, and I'd probably spend more on the fids and line that would be sacrificed learning the new splice than just paying to have it done.

#4 ·
I printed instructions from NER's website and will let you all know how it goes! I just hope the line does not shrink due to my splicing mistakes (cutoffs!) I would have paid the splicing fee, but my shackles were here and not there, and I already have fids. Thanks for the feedback.
DD

#6 ·
Your T-900 should be spliced using a core to core splice. In the videos, my partner Andrew shows his method which is pretty much like what you are looking at if you're looking at the New England Ropes splicing instructions. Andrew actually makes it a little more complicated in that he insists in burying his cover instead of hiding it under a whipping. Which really accomplishes nothing except saving you from having to do a whipping. I would rather do a nice whipping and save the work. :laugher

It is not a really complicated splice after you've worked through it a few times. But it certainly is a little daunting when just reading the instructions. Perhaps watching the video will give you a little confidence to try it.
5/16" is actually a pretty good size to start out on.
Give it a try. :)

YouTube - Andrew's core to core splice Part One

YouTube - Andrew's core to core splice Part Two

#9 ·
Knothead,
You are correct that if you follow the directions it is not too bad. There are a couple of things to watchout for: First is remember to put your shackle on before you make the loop with the core. Sort of defeats the purpose of the exercise if you leave that out. Second, be prepared to work HARD to get everything buried in the cover when you are pulling the final step. I did not bury the last bit of cover as there was no way it would fit, so I sewed and whipped the short tail to the outside of the splice as per the instructions. I am not sure if I am going to do the shrink tube or not. If I had it to do again, I would probably pay the $25 to have a rigger do it(took me 2 hours), but now I know what it involves and will at least appreciate it if I pay to have one done. The video reference was much appreciated!! Thanks BTW, all the skin on my hands is sore from pulling on the cover. Oh well, at least I got to play with some boat toys in the middle of the week!
DD

#10 ·
I'd like to thank Knothead also. His video's are a real service to the sailing community and what convinced me to teach myself to do an eyesplice in the first place. Having seen the demo of the core to core splice, I may teach myself that one as well. Though I'd likely wimp out and use the heatshrink rather than filet my hands trying to bury the cover. lol

#11 ·
I am going to try a core to core and bury the cover with a different piece of line. I just did not want to try on this new halyard material at $2. per foot. If I had to cut it off (already did once) I might have ended up with a halyard that was 3-4' too short. I particularly liked the pulling tool he was using rather than beating his hands and fingers up pulling the tension on the line. I agree, good video!
DD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.