SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Achilles inflatables

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  pegasus1457 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a 4-yr old Achilles inflatable (LEX 88) at a reasonable price. But I haven't heard anything about this Japanese brand of inflatable.

It is constructed of hypalon.

Does anyone have experience with Achilles tenders?

#2 ·
I have a 2002 Achilles (10'). So far so good. It has an inflatable floor...plenty hard and inflatable keel.

I have a 3.3hp on it...works fine. Seems pretty rugged. And, I can lug it myself...though it is kind of a pain.

So...I can recommend it, though I have little experience with other inflatables. My last one was so old and decrepit...I can even compare.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Had one I bought used in 1984 and used it until 1990, then it sat unused in my basement until 2000. I took it out, inflated it and used it for two more years before it was stolen. I had it serviced once during this period.

They make great boats.

#8 ·
I bought mine new in 1985 and used it every year putting it up during the winter. It's 10 feet with a wood floor which I've replace some of the floor boards and made one repair on one of the tubes though the years. It's still going strong and will plane with a 6hp Nissan with 2 people aboard (200lbs and 120lbs). I will finally be replacing it one of these days since it is very difficult to assemble on deck with the wooden floor and I don't like towing it.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like a quality product. For some reason we don't see them in my part of LI -- Avons, Zodiacs, WM, Sea Eagles, but no Achilles.

I think I will go for it, even though it has the infernal wooden floor. I can either tow it or keep it lashed down in front of the mast -- it is only 7 ft long from the transom (between the tubes) to the bow, with the tubes behind the transom straddling the mast.

#11 ·
thanks for all the feedback --

I bought it.

It looks like it has never been used.

All I have done so far is to fold it up and stuff it in its sack and stow it in the
cockpit lazarette, but I am looking forward to using it as intended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.