Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-31-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I will post my opinion - run away.

I bought a house (a house, I know, not a boat but still somewhat comparable) from a smoker. It took YEARS to get that smell out. I ripped out the sheetrock, repainted, ripped out flooring, had ac ducts cleaned several times, all fixtures, windows, replaced flooring with tile and new carpet after super cholonating and washing repeatedly, etc.

Never, never, never again. We (as non smokers) are very sensitive to that smell. Small amount of it anywhere will stink forever. This is especially apparent when it has been shut up for a while (or even shut for not a while). And how do you get that film and smell out of the millions of unaccessible areas in the bilge or behind cabinets, or hidden in cabinets, or in the upholstry (inside), etc.

There are a million boats on the market right now and it is a buyers market. You will still have to really shop for a GOOD boat (and will probably still pay close to top dollar for a really well cared for boat), but if you are a non-smoker, avoid smoked-in boats like the plague. Let a smoker buy that one. They won't hardly smell it. And no offense, but if they were insensitive enough and thoughtless enough about resale to smoke in their boat in the first place, what other things have they neglected to care about? Maybe, maybe not... but the thougth would cross my mind. Most of the smokers I know smoke outside of their house and moke outside of their boats for that very reason.

I realize there are a LOT of smokers on this forum. My comments were not meant to frustrate any of you. I just think smokers have a difficult time comprehending how much of a turn-off the old smoke smell bothers non-smokers. So please take the comments as something to consider if you do smoke and how you may actually lose 50% of a potential buying audience if you smoke in your boat/house.

My opinions.

- CD

PS When you put clothes or any items on that boat, all of those will smell like smoke. We would leave the house smelling like smoke. It made our car smell like smoke because the clothes absorbed the smell. That crap gets everywhere and on everything. NEVER AGAIN.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 07-31-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Some car dealers use Ozone Generators to get the smell out. It's kind of like one of those Sharer Image magic air cleaners. They just put it inside the car with all the windows up and let it run overnight. On a boat it may need a week but I think it will get the job done, that's what they're designed to do.
Here's one- Residential Ozone Generator Rental - ozone generator rental residential
$79.00 for a 2 day rental, does a whole house.
I know nothing about that company or that generator, googled it up.

Last edited by sww914; 07-31-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2009

mtruc is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all replies. I ended up finding one with zero smell that looks very promising. Will do the inspection soon.
Old 08-06-2009

fordo is on a distinguished road
Good luck with your new boat! I bought a used car that smelled of cigarettes. My mechanic suggested that I use fabreeze on the fabric and put fabic softener dryer sheets under the seats. The smell was gone in three days. Can't say it will work on a boat but it sure worked on my car!
Old 08-07-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordo View Post
Good luck with your new boat! I bought a used car that smelled of cigarettes. My mechanic suggested that I use fabreeze on the fabric and put fabic softener dryer sheets under the seats. The smell was gone in three days. Can't say it will work on a boat but it sure worked on my car!
This works surprisingly well. Febreeze and anything that absorbs. Charcoal, baking soda, dryer sheets, etc. Ask the owners if you can spray down the boat and drop off a few dryer sheets, then come back in a week and check the smell again?
Old 08-07-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I just light my pipe and after a few minutes I don't smell the cigarettes anymore. I've also heard that sea-sick passengers can help in acclimating one to the smell.
Old 08-07-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Tip of the day - Use Vodka, place in a spray bottle. Spray the areas or in the air - it kills the bacteria, kills mold, and when done is orderless.. Have a few russian friends and you have non-stinking party to boot.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 08-07-2009

CodeZero is on a distinguished road
Most realtors have access to a smoke eater - when selling a home that has been smoked in they place the smoke eater in the home for a” time" to rid the home of the smell prior to viewing. The smoke eater runs extremely high voltage across small wires - when the air is pulled or pushed past it splits the 02 (oxygen) atoms into 01 atom (ozone) the 01 atom is unstable and will attach itself to a carbon atom and oxidize the carbon atom - remove it permanently. This is the best way to remove the smell of smoke from anything. Look to a realtor or fire Restoration Company to rent a machine - it really does not take much time to clean anything inundated with smoke