Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-02-2009

Guidera48 is on a distinguished road
Injecting epoxy in wet core

As I prepare to tackle the dreaded soft side deck repair, I am doing research on how to go about it. It seems this repair falls into 2 options. Drill and fill on small areas or cut and recore, on larger areas.

How about this. Any one tried it??

Drill several holes around the damaged area. Install a 1/4 air male hose fitting in the middle of the area. Attach a hose and vacum pump. Leave sucking at low pressure and remove the moisture. Later on, intruduce thinned epoxy into the holes and draw it accross the area. Close the holes one by one as epoxy comes out of the vaccum pipe.

Will air pass through the damaged area? Water already has.

I have read many posts describing injection of epoxy with seringes,however they all rely on gravity and wicking to move the epoxy across the damaged area.

A little help from a vacumm system surely would help draw and saturate the core faster. Is there such a system??

O.K. Let me have it.

Thanks

Jose Guidera
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I've actually had this done on a boat of mine...on a drill and inject under pressure until the epoxy comes out the other hole(s) basis. It ONLY works on very small areas and is not a suitable approach for repairs to more than a few square inches.
If you have larger areas of softness/wet core/delam...the only option is a complete removal of the laminate and core replacement.
Old 08-02-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
injecting the epoxy or resin sounds like it would work.
My concern would be the water / moisture removal to in preparation for the repair.
I've found exopy cures differently with alot of moisture present, like rain or soggy wood.
Old 08-02-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Perfect type of repair for a de-lamination, but misses the point entirely for a rotten/ wet core. It won't work, sorry, all you will do is make a bigger mess to fix. If you are comfortable with vacuum bagging, tackle this repair from below, thickened epoxy to bond the new core to the underside of the deck, then use 3m 77 to hold the glass layers in place, 2 sets of hands will help. Set up your bag, and infuse. I use an old pressure cooker with an extra line plumbed in for the infusion line, then add air pressure to the cooker to aid in epoxy transfer. I also would use extra slow hardener, and consider chilling if the area is large. I think MAS has epoxy specifically for this, But I like the West personally. (old habits die hard) good luck

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CBlu... to be clear...I agree with you entirely...it is a temp solution suitable for stabilizing a very small area and the right way to do it is your way. Sometimes a quick fix is suitable from a a time and $$ standpoint...but it is not a cure.
Old 08-02-2009

GREGGWARREN is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up I vac. bagged my keel

it was full of water and diesel and did injections it works , wanna see pics ???
Old 08-02-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGGWARREN View Post
it was full of water and diesel and did injections it works , wanna see pics ???
Yes, please!
Old 08-02-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
If your keel was full of water, and diesel, you did nothing. epoxy does not adhere to either. Of course this is my opinion, please prove me wrong.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2009
oscilating or persistant?

slippery is on a distinguished road
Core repair

technicalyy this repair method could be very dodgy! why...

1. you have to ensure the core material is dry to a level of less than 5% "active water" throughout the entire 'damp area" and that the core material is not compromised.

Injecting Low viscosity Resinsinto holes does not gaurantee you get resin to all the soft or "compromised areas of foam! NOR ITS POOR ADHESION WITH THE FIBREGLASS OUTER LAYER.

Using a vacum pump combined with direct heat will drive out water but if salt water has been present you will leave salts (sodium) behind and thus the epoxy's adhesion will be compromised. Also fungal growth with fresh water could cause similar problems.

You will also need to moisture probe (electronic)the core between holes to ensure no trapped water.

2. Injection of a low viscosity epoxy into the holes will not ensure total "gap filling" and will no resurrect the strength of the original lay up. Also the holes could be possible areas for further water ingress if not filled and sealed correctly.

Also, low viscosity epoxys do not like high film builds!

3. Cutting out the effected area (from one side only, typically the underside ) and replacing the core using a angled cut of 8:1 for the foam joints followed be re instatement of the fibreglass using a tapered / feathered edge tehnique (12:1)is best and will maintain integrity of deck.

4. The only technology that could be injected into a hole or used in contact with moisture would be a moisture cured Urethane but the above still applies.

And.. if your idea worked every boat builder (worth his salt) all over the planet would be doing it and i don't believe they are
Hope this helps
Old 08-03-2009

docrn is on a distinguished road
So how big is the area you are repairing? Would it be possible to just cut/router out this area and replace with marine ply (or whatever core material) and epoxy it in place?