Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-04-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Adler barbour refrigeration conversion

Do any of you have experience with the A-B Waeco conversion kit CS-NC-15? This is the one that the compressor and evaporator are built as one unit, installed in the icebox through an access cut in one end. No refrigeration lines, tstats, or other hookups other than 12VDC needed. This is going in a 6 cuft box on Sparkie. Any feedback?? Thanks
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I installed an A-B cold machine kit after our old Grunert system died. That has a sealed compressor unit that you mount within 15' of the box and then a sealed evaporator unit that you mount in the box. Works great and it's not a power hog. Seems like a little distance between the compressor and evaporator would be more desireable rather having the compressor on an outside wall of the icebox.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-04-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
AB Cool Machine

I have no experience with that particular unit but have used one of the more conventional Cold Machines for many years. The first unit I had was installed by the PO and worked flawlessly for years but finally quit last Spring. After consultation with the factory they told me that the problem with it was probably the control board and there were two versions an inexpensive one and a not so inexpensive one. Since the unit I had was at least 12 years old since that was how long I've had the boat I elected to buy a new one. I did and installation was a breeze.

As far as the unit you have chosen, the only thing I would worry about would be carrying off the heat from the compressor. That is the critical part of the whole operation. If the compartment you will install it in is well ventilated, go for it. If not you may want to install a separate ventilation fan in that area. I did for my installation and it has made the unit more efficient. There is even an output in the control hookup for a separate fan.

Overall Alder Barbour makes a quality product and I have no problem recommending in to anyone.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 08-04-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Also, depending on how you use your new refer unit, there can be additional costs for a bigger battery bank and a way to charge them. Refer units are probably one of the bigger consumers of the amps in your bank.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.