Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-09-2009
<----- thinking of this

JSL3 is on a distinguished road
autohelm 4000 parts

I have a problem with my autohelm 4000 wheel drive unit. The plastic (perhaps nylon - don't know) 'pinion sprocket' that transfers the power from the eletrcial motor to the belt drive has broken. I have been seaching the internet for available parts and haven't had too much luck. As I read on other posts, the autohelm 4000 isn't supported anymore. I have some leads on used parts (one in california and one in cape town) but they don't sound promising.
So here are my 2 questions.
1. Any ideas on where I can look for spare parts for this unit or asked another way, where can i find a substitue 'pinion sprocket'.
2. I don't have much to lose so I am considering trying to put the sprocket back together with and adhesive or epoxy of some kind. Any suggestions on what to use?
Some pictures:

Drive Unit external view

Pinion Sprocket in question (asembled but not glued)

The carnage

The schematic of the part, circled in red:

As always, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2009
Vancouver, BC

anderbra is on a distinguished road
I would look at second hand marine stores like "sailor's exchange" or "popeye" or whatever they may be called in your area. It may take awhile, as you never know what you will find at those places. I myself have been looking for the male two pin connector for the power cable for my older autopilot.
Old 08-09-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
You're not too far from me and I think I can help you. I'm on the West River at Hartge Yacht Yard. E-mail me at LSMACD AT (READ @) YAHOO DOT (READ . ) COM (That's to avoid spamalot).

Do it soon; I won't be here long..

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-09-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
A machine shop might be able to knock something like that out from aluminum with an hour or two of labor?
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-09-2009
<----- thinking of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
You're not too far from me and I think I can help you. I'm on the West River at Hartge Yacht Yard. E-mail me at LSMACD AT (READ @) YAHOO DOT (READ . ) COM (That's to avoid spamalot).

Do it soon; I won't be here long..
Very Cool!
A PM and an email are on the way.
Old 08-13-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
An interesting failure. It brings to mind a failure of the tuning gears on a type of radio I have in my airplane. The builder used nylon gears on a tuning knob and they either wear out or fail. The gear is a $0.75 cent part but the company does not support field repairs, and the flat rate repair is several hundred dollars.

That situation resulted in several resourceful folks scouting the web for replacements. I've saved the links to gear suppliers that I've accumulated. I'll try to look up the links and post them when I get home. If you could find a match made in brass it would probably be a good upgrade/spare to have aboard.
Old 08-13-2009
<----- thinking of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
An interesting failure. It brings to mind a failure of the tuning gears on a type of radio I have in my airplane. The builder used nylon gears on a tuning knob and they either wear out or fail. The gear is a $0.75 cent part but the company does not support field repairs, and the flat rate repair is several hundred dollars.

That situation resulted in several resourceful folks scouting the web for replacements. I've saved the links to gear suppliers that I've accumulated. I'll try to look up the links and post them when I get home. If you could find a match made in brass it would probably be a good upgrade/spare to have aboard.
Thanks Mid. You can feel free to post those links for others in the future but my problem has been solved by a Capn Larry. Here's the story.

As a side note the replacement part I got from Larry looks be aluminum (or another similar metal). It is definately not plastic or nylon. I guess the later production runs found the plastic to be problematic.
Old 08-14-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
I'm about to remove our AH4000 drive unit to figure out why it was grabing the wheel periodically even when the clutch was released. Fixed temporarily with a small line applying slight tension in one direction. Thanks for that schematic.
Old 08-14-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL3 View Post
Thanks Mid. You can feel free to post those links for others in the future but my problem has been solved by a Capn Larry. Here's the story.

As a side note the replacement part I got from Larry looks be aluminum (or another similar metal). It is definately not plastic or nylon. I guess the later production runs found the plastic to be problematic.
Yeah I just hoped it might help someone down the line. Unfortunately, I've lost the links so I'll be starting from scratch if I ever need either type of gear.
Old 08-14-2009

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Try Replacing the Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatsome View Post
I'm about to remove our AH4000 drive unit to figure out why it was grabing the wheel periodically even when the clutch was released. Fixed temporarily with a small line applying slight tension in one direction. Thanks for that schematic.
Floatsome,

I just had that issue with my Autohelm 4000. I replaced the belt which I found online at EBay Motors (just google autohelm 4000 and belt). Took care of the problem. The belt was only $20 plus $4 shipping. so I bought a spare in case they stop making them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.