SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Yanmar 2GM (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/56996-yanmar-2gm.html)

nereussailor 08-11-2009 02:19 PM

Yanmar 2GM

I've got a Yanmar 2GM in my H30 and the fuel pump is leaking. I've posted here before about the problem, so I don't want to hear about switching to an electric fuel pump. I might do that if I can hook up both.
The problem is that the fuel pump is leaking fuel both in the oil, and out of the fuel pump. The parts needed to rebuild the pump supposedly aren't available individually or in a kit, but I can purchase a whole fuel pump. The service guy at the Yanmar place said that they just rebuilt one, a couple of weeks ago, but wouldn't give me any information. So why is it that he can get the parts to rebuild one, but I can't.
Is there a place where I can get the material for the diaphragm and make my own. I can't see spending the money on a new fuel pump if I can get a new diaphragm for a couple of bucks. Can anyone help with this?

Dave

PS can you tell I'm really cheap :D

Northeaster 08-11-2009 03:10 PM

I know there are knowlegeable people here as well. However, there are a coupld of mechanics that are always on the cruisersforum website, and they have been very helpful as well.
I would post it on both sites. I am sure that someone would have access to the parts. A couple of the mechanics have even offered to ship parts, if you can't get them elsewhere.

Post it under the engine section!

I just had my 2GM leaking a bit of diesel. Looked like it was the fuel pump, but ended up being the banjo fitting, just after the pump. tightened it a bit and fine now. Was not leaking fuel into the oil / block though. I owuld not pay for a whole new pump either!

nereussailor 08-11-2009 04:37 PM

Fuel pump

Hey Northeaster,
are you talking about the renegade cruisers, or another forum?

Dave

bubb2 08-11-2009 05:05 PM

Manufacturer: YANMAR MARINE ENGINEPart #: YANK128270-42000

zeehag 08-11-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nereussailor (Post 512981)
Hey Northeaster,
are you talking about the renegade cruisers, or another forum?

Dave

is in cruisers forum -- actually in sailboat owners, i believe....not renegade cruisers--
Yanmar 2GM - SailboatOwners.com

nereussailor 08-11-2009 06:15 PM

Thanks Bubb2,
I'm not looking for a water pump. I'm looking for a "Fuel Lift Pump" rebuild kit

Dave

nereussailor 08-12-2009 01:03 AM

Actually, the Yanmar dealer by my boat has it for $74 and he also has it in stock. I called 4 dealers and they all said the same thing so it's off to buy a new fuel pump. The tractor pumps aren't the same, the arm looks different, and the top of the pump doesn't seem quite right. I wouldn't waste my time hoping it would fit.
As for letting someone else fix my boat, the answer is NO WAY! Too many idiots out there that f^#k things up. Same with my car. I fix it and no one else. The last person I let fix my car, charged me $250 to replace two 18" pieces of brake line. That won't happen ever again.

Dave