Teak Smells? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2009 Thread Starter

Teak Smells?

I recently purchased and am living aboard a 1989 Hunter 30. Since moving aboard I have been diagnosing smells, making headway with bilge and head odors but this one has me stumped! The wood in the v-birth smells like old sawdust/mud-dobber!

The v-birth has a built in hanging locker starboard and vertical storage cupboards port, I believe these are marine plywood laminated with teak and that they are the source of the smell. When I first moved on there were a few mud-dobber nests and I thought that was the source so I knocked them all out and cleaned all around in there, still smelled. A couple of days ago I disassembled everything in there and pulled it out, scrubbed every board individuality with bleach and water as well as the vinyl hull liner and wood that is glassed in to the hull (main bulkhead into birth and the two pieces that encase the water tanks that you sleep on top of). The wood still smells! I know it's the wood because yesterday when I got home I could smell the pile of 'clean' wood that I left on the dock to dry.

My next steep is to give it all a bath in vinegar (I know I should have done that first), then would be to Te-Ka clean it all and varnish it hoping to seal the smell in, although I would prefer to keep it natural and just oil it every year.

What could this be, has anyone experienced this, and what are your suggestions to fix it???

Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2009

You might try cleaning the teak with TSP. Another option is to mask the smell... go buy a bunch of coconut air freshners and hang them in there for a few days.

I found this info googling, it pertains to Cigarette smoke smell but it should work with any smell. It mentions baking soda--which would probably be a good one to try as well.

How to Get Cigarette Smoke Smell Out of Wood | eHow.com
post #3 of 7 Old 08-15-2009
Coastal Traveler

Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Air the boat out really good and put fabric softener sheets around the boat under cushions and in storage areas, it really helps.

Dave
post #4 of 7 Old 08-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink2 View Post
I recently purchased and am living aboard a 1989 Hunter 30. Since moving aboard I have been diagnosing smells, making headway with bilge and head odors but this one has me stumped! The wood in the v-birth smells like old sawdust/mud-dobber!

The v-birth has a built in hanging locker starboard and vertical storage cupboards port, I believe these are marine plywood laminated with teak and that they are the source of the smell. When I first moved on there were a few mud-dobber nests and I thought that was the source so I knocked them all out and cleaned all around in there, still smelled. A couple of days ago I disassembled everything in there and pulled it out, scrubbed every board individuality with bleach and water as well as the vinyl hull liner and wood that is glassed in to the hull (main bulkhead into birth and the two pieces that encase the water tanks that you sleep on top of). The wood still smells! I know it's the wood because yesterday when I got home I could smell the pile of 'clean' wood that I left on the dock to dry.

My next steep is to give it all a bath in vinegar (I know I should have done that first), then would be to Te-Ka clean it all and varnish it hoping to seal the smell in, although I would prefer to keep it natural and just oil it every year.

What could this be, has anyone experienced this, and what are your suggestions to fix it???

Thanks!

Do a new coat of varnish - that'll handle it. Teak doesn't actually smell unless freshly sawn. Seems the curtains, cushions etc are on you r bit perhaps... but then - make the boat glossy and varnish and wallah - the smell is fresh again..

-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 08-15-2009

Buy or rent an Ozone generator...a powerful one like hotel people use to de-odor rooms. Let the generator run a few hours with all your cabinets, drawers etc, open...give your cushions a good fluff and be sure they have maximum exposure. Don't hang around breathing the ozone...it can kill your bad breath too...permanently....but it works like crazy.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
post #6 of 7 Old 12-03-2009 Thread Starter

Solution

Ok, It wasn't the teak.. it was the ceder lining! Can't believe I missed the obvious, it just didn't smell like ceder.

Anyways, what finally wound up working to my satisfaction was just a dilute of orange oil sprayed and wiped all throughout. That tamed it down a bunch.

Thanks for all the suggestions. (Ozone was next)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-03-2009

CAUTION using Ozone Generators. Please read this EPA page on ozone. Low concentrations of ozone can make the air smell fresh. So can opening windows. High concentrations can kill mold and bacteria, but can also degrade plastic and rubber as well as being harmful to other living things.

I thought I'd share this since I'm trying to remediate some mildew issues on my boat and have been doing quite a bit of internet research.

Greg
s/v Selkie
1972 Bristol 32, #64
"Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing to attempt."
Shakespeare

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.