Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-16-2009

DS16guy is on a distinguished road
DS 16 sails and parts?

Hi...a newbie here an I hope I'm posting this on the right forum. I'm not only new to the forum, but new to sailing. I just bought my first boat, an 80 something DS 16. I bought this boat at a yard sail with trailer for $200...

The boat and trailer are in surprisingly good condition, but the drawback is the boat comes without sails. I wonder if anyone could advise on where to get sails for this? From the little bit of research I've done, the sail area is 155 square feet, and pictures show this little day sailer with two sails....maybe what they call a Genoa and a Jib? Any help is appreciated.....thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2009
The Brinlae Rose Lives

stevegmusic is on a distinguished road
no sails

I always check craigslist and ebay 1st. If you know how to rig a simple sailboat, you can use SOME parts from a general hardware store. Real boat parts are always best, but some things are hard to find if you don't live in a place where people sail much. I had to rig some stuff on my Bucc18 and I haven't had her out yet to see if she'll go, but if you can get the main up, control the boom, let out the jib and steer, I'm pretty sure you can sail.
I almost picked up a mutineer with no mainsail before I found the 'Rose'. I looked for a couple of days and found one with the right measurements on craigslist. The guy had just bought racing sails for his 15' dinghy and was getting rid of the stock rig. I think he could have been new to the game 'cause all he wanted was 60 bucks. He lived too far away so I asked him if he would ship. He said he would for 75 total. Poor guy probably could have got a couple hundred for them, but some folks just want room in the closet.
It sounds like a fun project. I wish you all the best. One thing to remember though, make sure your hull number, title, and registration stuff is in good order.

Steven
Old 08-17-2009

DS16guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmusic View Post
I always check craigslist and ebay 1st. If you know how to rig a simple sailboat, you can use SOME parts from a general hardware store. Real boat parts are always best, but some things are hard to find if you don't live in a place where people sail much. I had to rig some stuff on my Bucc18 and I haven't had her out yet to see if she'll go, but if you can get the main up, control the boom, let out the jib and steer, I'm pretty sure you can sail.
I almost picked up a mutineer with no mainsail before I found the 'Rose'. I looked for a couple of days and found one with the right measurements on craigslist. The guy had just bought racing sails for his 15' dinghy and was getting rid of the stock rig. I think he could have been new to the game 'cause all he wanted was 60 bucks. He lived too far away so I asked him if he would ship. He said he would for 75 total. Poor guy probably could have got a couple hundred for them, but some folks just want room in the closet.
It sounds like a fun project. I wish you all the best. One thing to remember though, make sure your hull number, title, and registration stuff is in good order.

Steven
Thanks Steve. The rigging looks original and intact, but I can't be sure. I guess I'll start out by measuring the mast and boom and take it from there. This company went out of business in the 80's, but there's a plate in the stern and I might be able to get a tracing for a sail number and maybe cross reference that? I'm going to thoroughly go over the trailer and boat and restore any glass etc. Probably paint her too, so this boat won't see any water until next year. People have described this little boat as a sturdy beginners boat with a maneuverability slightly better than a square bathtub. On the other hand, she weighs only 650 pounds and can probably be hauled by a VW bug.....
Old 08-17-2009

Gary3675 is on a distinguished road
Try the Daysailor Assco....DaySailer.org
You should be able to get the info you need plus info on sails.
Also check if there is an active fleet in your area. I am sure someone would be willing to help.
Old 09-09-2009

ThrillerDillerSchwill is on a distinguished road
meetoo

I recently purchased a 16ft Diller Schwill a couple of weeks ago. It appears that sails are hard to come by. I was doing a google search to find them, just to see how much they were going for -- new or used, and your blog note was the only thing I came across. I suppose craigslist would be the best bet for used sails. My main sail is ok for now. needs a little patching here and there. and my jib is good. I have an extra jib, but one of its corners is broken and needs to be fixed. Once you find a main sail and in need of jib, I'll sell you the extra jib if you want. Otherwise, I'll keep it as a spare. Good luck. If I come across a used sail for you, I'll let you know. You can also keep your eye open for a real cheap DS-16 that may have a broken rig or something but with the sails in good condition. Another thing, someone selling a DS-16 might have two or three sets that come with the boat; it wouldn't hurt to make an offer for one of the sets. Also, the DS-16 is sometimes referred to as a Schwill yacht or a Schwill sailboat. I am not sure what kind of info you found so far, if you do a google search, you can find the specs for a DS-16.
Jeff
Old 09-09-2009

one more thing

here's a good list of sail stores and manufacturers. There are many stores out there that sell used sails. good luck.
Old 09-09-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
Check the yahoo site:

DS16-DillerSchwill16 : A sailboat for the minimalist
Old 09-24-2009

Hello, I am inquiring about the DS 16 group. Is there such a group? If so, I wou

Hello, I am inquiring about the DS 16 group. Is there such a group? If so, I would like to know many DS 16 owners are there. I have questions about whether I need to take down the mast. I am going to have the boat on blocks in a marina in a bay. I recently bought the boat. Should I take it down and inspect the rigging, or can that wait till the Spring. The boat weighs 500 pounds. Will the boat be ok with the mast up during the winter? If there is anyone out there who can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-15-2010

FREDDY122 is on a distinguished road
DS-16 Mast base

Hi i have a Ds-16 1987 and my mast base is broken did you now were a can find a nother one thank you
Old 08-15-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Wow, the memories! A DS 16 was the first sailboat I owned in the late 70s. One of my first dates with my wife was on that boat. Got knocked down when a little storm popped up on Barnegat Bay. Down flooded the cockpit lockers when they popped open while the rail was under water. Gave her a nasty black eye with my fist starting the engine. I must have been good at other things for her still to marry me!

Gary H. Lucas