Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-21-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020 View Post
I too have this problem. Its the drive belt that stick to the wheel housing. try some taculm powder. Mine starts to stick AFTER I dismantle it for washing (dish washer liquid). Usually after sometime on Autopilot, I need to "break-free" the sticky belt by jerking the wheel before its normal.
Aha! I've been searching all summer for an explanation of why our ST4000 drive unit binds periodically to jam the wheel when it should be free-running. I took the unit off the wheel, took it home and split the halves. Other than age, I could see nothing wrong, and the two halves run freely on the bench. But, on the boat, I had to rig a small line to pull up a bit on the drive motor to change the way the two unengaged halves relate to each other. That slight change allowed the unit to run free when the clutch was off.

Maybe its as simple as an old belt binding on the surface it is supposed to glide on? Perhaps it shrunk a bit in diameter over the years? Or perhaps the drive lever (clutch handle, I call it) flops down when the wheel is in the right position, clamping just enough on the belt to make it grab on the drive (pinion) sprocket?

After I posted this message the first time this morning, I found this in Raymarine's excellent self-help database, which I had not noticed before, dealing with binding and squealing: "The ST4000 and ST4000+ wheel drive units uses a toothed belt internally, which is tensioned by the clutch lever. The unit also has rollers internally which locate and guide the rotating drive ring. The ST4000 and ST4000+ wheel drives are BLACK in color. Do not confuse them with the newer ST4000+ Mk II wheel drive, which is GRAY. The MkII wheel drive has completely different internals. The parts and procedure listed in this solution do not apply to the ST4000+ Mk II wheel drive. Over a period of time, salt deposits can build up inside the unit and around the rollers and this can lead to the feeling of 'stiffness'. As time goes on, the rollers may also require lubrication. Any squealing noise you hear is probably from the rollers. Raymarine offers a wheel drive service kit, part number D169, which should restore the drive unit to like-new operation. The kit contains a custom tool for opening the wheel drive unit, a replacement belt, waterproof grease and instructions. You should avoid getting grease on the belt or the belt's running surfaces. You should also check the rollers in the clutch mechanism, they may be stiff too and may also need greasing."

UPDATE: Two marine suppliers told me the D169 repair kit for the ST4000 is no longer available.

By the way: I think the Allen heads are metric, which is why my 1/8" Allen wrenches seemed a hair too big? That's 0.125", or 3.2 mm.

Last edited by floatsome; 09-25-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2009

ereiss is on a distinguished road
ST4000 repairs

Unfortunately, I have learned from Raymarine that 1) there are no adjustments to be made in the unit and 2) there are no parts for sale. Then they said I could send it in to them for repair. I asked why I should if there were 1) no adjustments and 2) no parts. Their response is that they hold on to some parts and can do the repair.

I'm, at this moment, trying to find out the cost to have them replace the rollers and the belt on my ST4000. Looking at their price list I come away confused. The web pabe (Raymarine Marine Electronics - Autopilot Repair Rates) says that repair to the ST4000 Wheel Drive is $375. One could buy a new MK2 for about $100 more. That's a lot to put in some rubber wheels and a $20 belt.
Old 09-21-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereiss View Post
....(Raymarine) says that repair to the ST4000 Wheel Drive is $375. One could buy a new MK2 for about $100 more. That's a lot to put in some rubber wheels and a $20 belt.
If you're bent on retaining your old ST4000 control head I'd definitely go for the newer drive ring. It's a much better engineered item for the extra $100. I'd also have little faith in the "repaired" unit.

If you choose to go with the newer version S-1 or better, be aware that the architecture has changed - the cockpit mounted head is a Seatalk unit and the "brains" are in a separately mounted computer controller. Depending on the version you'll also be installing a rudder sensor or a gyro. This means a pretty complete rewiring job is required. We installed ours this spring with good results.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-28-2009

bakerha51 is on a distinguished road
Question Found a belt

Hi - found a belt on ebay as suggested and would like to know if anyone knows what the special disasembly tool/technique is or can help with the instructions. Or - if anyone has the instructions from the d169 kit possibly.
Old 10-28-2009
Jerr - Shipwright, rigger

MyBoatWorks is on a distinguished road
Sorry to say folks but they're really cheap units, sold at sickeningly high prices. I just mended the brake of a customer's unit with an elastic band, until he gets disgusted at it enough to buy a new unit. Autohelm ought to be ashamed to put this level of flimsy out as a product.

There is some good news, though, on the subject of belts. All commercial belts are printed with numbers. Go online to a commercial belt wholesaler and they'll ship you one or several for about $15 each. They're just standard belts and don't let manufacturers talk you into otherwise. For one of my machines, Hitachi has a six month waiting period and charges $260 for a six-inch belt I bought at a local industrial supply store for $4.50 and yes, it was in stock and truly was identical. Cheers! - Jerr
I'm a shipwright, rigger and professional sailor, in business as My Boat Works, in Los Angeles. I also make super quality, High-Definition instructional boating movies! I'm here to give my expertise to boaters, as I was helped. It's my pleasure to help you enjoy activities I love so. Cheers! - Jerr
Old 11-10-2012

Ashley50311 is on a distinguished road
Re: Raymarine ST4000 Autohelm binding

How much does an S1 unit cost and where would I buy one

thanks

Ashley

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.