SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

gelcoat shaver

3K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
has anyone used a dedicated marine shaver to strip gelcoat off of a hull?

#2 ·
I have seen one in use and it looked like a hand held planer with a carbide blade. When I had to strip gelcoat on one of my boats, I purchased a planer and tried it. It works great for about 1 minute, then the blade is dull. The original blades are high speed steel rather than carbide. There is one place I know that sells carbide blades for hand planers. http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/ShapingTools/shapingtools.html

#4 ·
I never bothered to buy the carbide blades. I found so much damage to the hull that I stripped everything of value from the boat and took the hull to the local landfill. I latter found out that the boat had broken loose from its mooring during a storm and washed up on a rocky beach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.