Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have removed them from two boats as they are an absolute pain in the neck if you care to take care of your sails or if you sail shorthanded.

On the first point, arguably the single fastest way to kill a sail is to bunch it up every time you drop it. On my boats I have always carefully flaked the sails on the boom, laying the fabric out neatly to avoid crimping. It is nearly imposible to flake the sail neatly with lazy jacks in place so I ended up removing them when it came time to flake the sail.

But the bigger problem was dealing with raising and lowering the sail with lazy jacks in place when you are short-handed. If I raised the sail with the lazy jacks in place, the battens almost always got hung up on the lazy jacks.

Of course I could and did move the lazy jacks to the mast before I raised the mainsail, but then I was stuck trying to attach the 6 lines of the lazy jacks to the boom while the sail was up which is actually far more onerous than flaking the sail with the sail on the deck. (especially when one of the lines got away from me and I had to go up in a bosin's chair to retrieve it.

And frankly the Lazy jacks had to be removed when I was sailing anyway as they distorted the sail shape no matter how much I eased them.

I also found it easier to move the lazy jacks to the mast rather than have a custom mainsail cover, but of course that meant the jacks tended to slat if not tied off.

If you really feel a compulsion to complicate your life in order to make it incrementally easier, then I would suggest that you consider a Dutchman system which at least does not have to be removed to raise and flake the sail and which actually works pretty well to preserve the sail.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I have sailed on a few boats with lazy jacks. Two of them are 70ft + schooners. HUGE help there. So, I also put them on my Pearson 30. Also a vast improvement over none. I made my own and installed them for under $100 (including all of the mounting hardware). It took about 4 hours for everything. They are a very simple, retractable system. If you want more info on how to make them, PM me.
________
Glass Pipes

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2009
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
We retract our lazy jacks after the sail is down and tied up. They stay that way until shortly before sail comes down on next sailing. No problem putting the sail up. When we are done sailing for the day, we let go of jacks from their retracted position on mast, we go to a port tack briefly to set up jacks nice and tight on starboard side, then do a brief starboard tack to tighten up port side. Dropping the sail including time to adjust lazy jacks takes about 2 minutes. I could spend all day and not get the sail to flake as well as it does in the jacks. No problem putting mainsail cover on with the lazy jacks retracted. Took me a while to figure this out, but sure works well for us. Why people cut slots in their sailcovers is beyond me, just retract the lazyjacks.

michael
Old 08-18-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Too me Lazy jacks are just half of the set up. The other half is a stack pack sail cover. With the lazy jacks the sail drops in the sail cover and you just zip it up. Could not be easer!

Doyle Sailmakers: StackPack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 08-18-2009

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
I have a Dutchman on our P30 -- on a positive note, it works very well and additionally makes reefing easier. The Dutchman is integrated into the topping lift and the monofiliment lines run through small holes in the main -- the system is always there and ready to go, requiring only that you take in the topping lift before dropping the main or reefing. For the record, I have full battens so I never have an issue of battens getting fouled, etc. as some users will report with other systems.

The Dutchman was installed by the PO of our boat. While I like the convenience, I'm not certain what I'm going to do with my next mainsail (hopefully next spring) as the Dutchman requires some modification to the sail to install the lines. As small as they are, I'm not wild about the idea of putting holes -- no matter how small -- into a sail (seems counterintuitive...). Most people claim there is no effect on performance. Even after the sail is flaked, you should be careful to watch for any abrasions where the monofiliment contacts the sail -- I have several worn areas on my main from points of contact. More info on the Dutchman system is here.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~

Last edited by CLucas; 08-19-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
My preference would be the Stac-Pack system, from Doyle. However I don't believe that it can be retrofitted to an existing NON-Doyle sail.

Next would be Lazy Jacks (actually EZ-Jax®).

I have sailed with the Dtuchman system, and admire the clean neat flaking. However, the monofilament line adds additional windage, and the system looks like a maintenance PITA.
Old 08-18-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Find that unless the boat is dead into the wind the upper battens get hung up on the lazy jacks. Ideally the system would be designed so it would be easy to pull them back against the mast when the main goes up and then deploy them for taking the main down The system on my boat is not well designed. However, I have to say that the big main on my boat would be much harder to control when taking it down without the lazy jacks.
I'm thinking of putting in a dutchman system when I replace the main . Boat across the dock from me has it and it seems to work very well.
Old 08-18-2009
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
I installed lazyjacks on my C&C 27 this year, basically copying the Harken system and swaging up my own guide wires. (Note to Harken: I did buy some Harken ball-bearing blocks...) It's not a complete hands-free system, but it's better than what I had. I now get the mainsail cover off before leaving harbor, which means I can hoist without fussing around on deck to remove sail ties You do have to point head to wind (a good idea anyway) but I also have shock cord coming off the spreaders that keeps the jacks apart and allows a pretty clean hoist. When dousing, I still find I have to go on deck and tidy up the flaking, but my spouse/crew doesn't have to try to then attach sail ties while we might be rolling a bit in wake or chop. So a good project worth tackling.
I sailed on a Tartan 31 on the Hudson (Bob Millstein's Pentimento) in May. He had the Doyle zip system and I must say it was pretty slick. I've since seen other sailmakers offer similar setups (Evstrom Sobstad and I think North as well). One of my dock neighbors sewed up their own version.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.
Old 08-18-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
have sailed with and without them---i donot race--i will not race---try lowering sail in stormy or pre-stormy conditions without them--ye cannot see thru the mainsail-AND the main will catch air and become uncooperative--btdt--the lazy jacks are THE way to go--i donot have them on my formosa as yet-her boom is almost 20 ft in length--lol--they WILL be installed prior to my setting out cruising---my sail cover is set up for lazy jacks---so i donot HAVE to have the lovely stack pak system--i just want lazy jacks--a good safety measure in heavy weather----go figger!!!!!
Old 08-18-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
From a raceboat POV i cant see the jacks as much worse than hoisting the main through the running backs ?

And if you find it a PITA go back to a bolt rope mainsail and have that floping around on deck by yourself

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat