Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
My vote is

Nay for Lazy Jack
Yay for EZ Jax

I guess I was feeling lazy (or lack of time? and pardont the pun) and bought my EZ Jax, and have been pleased with them. Storing them so you don't have the batten problem is a real plus IMO and you don't have to do any mods to your sail cover. I think they're less $ than Lazy Jacks too?

If I could have spent more $$$ I would have opted for a Stack/Mack Pack type set up. But I still don't like the way it looks when the sail is bent.

FWIW, I sailed on my Aunt & Uncle's Bristol 35.5 for several years, they had the Dutchman, they hated it, I didn't care much...I was just enjoying the rides. When it was time to replace the deteriorated lines they replaced with Lazy Jacks.

I also try to flake the sail differently each time so not to cause to much damage to the sail, but the convenience is simply worth it IMO.

Last edited by T37Chef; 01-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbondy View Post
With a StackPack-type sail cover, how are the sailcover "flaps" positioned when sailing? Are they pulled up by the lazyjacks? Or do they flop down around and below the boom? ... I like the idea of sewing up a homemade version of the stack pack, but am trying to picture how it looks when under sail.
The Stack-Pac has the sail cover split itnto two peices that are joined by a zipper when you cover the sail. One peice has a cover for the zipper that is held in place with velcro. The two peices of the sail cover also have two small, lengths of sail cloth, cut to a specific shape for the sail, that attach to the inside of the cover near where the zipper is attached. The other side of these small peices of sailcloth are sewn to the sail. When the sail is lowered, these two peices of sail cloth wrap around the sail, and are what the sail is actually stored in. When you raise the sail, these two peices of sailcloth are pulled taught, and pull the sailcover taught alongside the sail.

When I first saw the system, it reminded me of those honeycomb shades that are used on windows.

I hope that this helps.... It may be easier to look at the description on Doyle's website.

- Ed
Old 08-20-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Here is the PDF manual for the StackPack Installation

Interesting... StackPack is supported on non-Doyle sails too!
Old 08-20-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Actually - concept is great and if just cruising - works. Otherwise, a pain to manage - had them on my Cat 27, fine for cruising but they are not pain free. Easier to flake the sails as they come down if you have something more than dacron.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-20-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Corny,

Lots of answers here. Mostly positive I see. Here is me.

I went for the Mack Pack. It is another brand. I chose it because.
I did not want my sail altered or added to.
No batten fouling - The lazy jacks are able to be loosened so when raising the sail just pick a tack, free the line opposite, pull to loosen, raise the main and re-cleat the jack line to the boom.
Strong components.
The zipper closure is sweet.

Really cool.

I throw the halyard forward so it will not jam. When I let go there is a whosh and a clatter as the slides come down oh-so-fast.

Freakin' amazing. Worth every penny - but then I thought I could afford it.
Old 08-20-2009

redcobra is on a distinguished road
Had lazy jacks on my Alberg, had a dutchman system on the Cal, and now have the Doyle Stackpack. LOVE IT!
Release the halyard and into the cover she goes, pull the zip, and done.
All from the cockpit.

ps: I have a full battened main with a tides sail track and ball bearing batt cars.

Last edited by redcobra; 08-20-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2009

M275sailer is on a distinguished road
Good idea hienz, I am going to try to rig something useing the topping lift. There is always something to be said for a K.I.S.S. system.
Old 01-11-2012
Tanzer 22 Sailor

JohnChristopherBalch is on a distinguished road
Did you make or keep a diagram of your system? I know your post is 3 years old, but hey, I'll take a shot.
Old 01-13-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
added weight aloft????? bunk. is so little weight to rope in the making of lazy jax-- that excuse is for the lazy ones who dont see the use for them.
when sailing a heavy cruising boat, there is no reason to worry about the alleged weight of a couplafew lines and 2 rings for the home made jax-- and the prefab ones are so light as to be ridiculous on my formosa.
the safety factor of having and using lazy jax is an advantage that far outweighs any alleged weight problem. could be a problem for a 22 ft or under 30 ft boat--- but the safety feature/factor when cruising a heavy cruiser far outweighs any alleged weight aloft problem that might occur. the rope and rings weigh, what-- under a kilogram???? roflmao...weight problem... how about dousing a main sail on a 20 ft boom... in wind.... visibility is impaired sans lazy jax.
as for the canvas "problem"--- there are ways to make canvas covers conform to the addition of lazy jax, but if one is too cheap to spend a few extra dollars in the creation of a new sail cover, then i can not say anything about the problems one may incur upon ones own self. ditto with shade tarpage-- make them around the lazy jax. ANY canvas man worth anything knows hopw to make covers to accommodate them.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward