Recommendation needed: Diver/bottom cleaning Annapolis area - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-22-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I liveaboard and don't haul for the winter. If you keep the boat heated it isn't an issue.

I use Patrick McMahon ( diver-4-hire@hotmail.com 410-271-0340 ) and am pleased with his service. I particularly like that he will send me an e-mail when he is planning to be at the boat (I am on a 5 week schedule) so I can leave a check out for him. That works for us. If you choose to use him please tell him Auspicious recommended him. He is $3/ft for the first service and now charges me $90 / service for the regular cleaning.

I did use Yellow Dick Diving a few years ago with good results, but that was before Christian bought the business. I do know he and his girl friend are very active in the local sailing community and sponsor at least one race boat. He's a good cook also. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
I am curious to know what sailors are paying for this type of work. Bottom cleaning, inspections, zincs, etc. Is $ 3.00/ ft. about the going rate for bottom cleaning ? Do any of the divers services yu know of charge a minimum? thanks, Rick
Old 08-22-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
We also use Blue Planet and pay $3 to $4/foot. They charge based on how much time they spend on the boat, so it varies depending on how gucked up our bottom is. We schedule together with a couple of other boats on our dock, we save a little bit of money because the divers only mobilize once to do 3 boats.

Sally Morris
Robert van der Gon Netscher
BLUE PLANET DIVE SERVICES
410-867-2962
blueplanetdive@comcast.net
Old 08-22-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsailor View Post
I am curious to know what sailors are paying for this type of work. Bottom cleaning, inspections, zincs, etc. Is $ 3.00/ ft. about the going rate for bottom cleaning ? Do any of the divers services yu know of charge a minimum? thanks, Rick
Hull cleaning rates vary from region to region. Seems like the going rate in Annapolis is $3.00/foot. You being in New York it may be different. Here in the Bay Area, for instance, we generally charge $2.25/foot for sailboats and $3.00/foot for powerboats. Zinc replacement is usually $10.00/zinc, plus the cost of the zinc. In SoCal hull cleaning is even cheaper, by a buck or so a foot.

I personally have a $50.00 minimum wet fee and that buys you half an hour of my time for inspections, retrievals or other misc. dive work. Again, YMMV depending on where you are located.
Old 08-24-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Why do most other local divers not work through the winter? You don't haul for the winter in that area, do you?
Most folks around here haul out for the winter. And if I recall, the Blue Planet guys go work in the Caribbean during the winter. So maybe it's a combination of low demand and seasonal opportunities elsewhere?
Old 08-25-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for all the great info! This is a big help...
Old 09-09-2009

salrman is on a distinguished road
blue planet diving

Has anyone heard from them lately? I've left email and voicemail messages for over a week and have not heard back from them.
Old 09-09-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Jos,

Assuming your prop and shaft are comparable to my own (big assumption) you can check/clean yourself very easily. I can reach my shaft and prop with my right hand while holding onto a rope attached to the stern cleat with my left and still have my head above water. Guess if I found the zincs missing I'd have a different problem but for scrapping and cleaning find a clean creek, get into the water and see what you find.

Best of Luck...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 09-09-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by salrman View Post
Has anyone heard from them lately? I've left email and voicemail messages for over a week and have not heard back from them.
I wrote them and didn't hear back, but I only tried the one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
Jos,

Assuming your prop and shaft are comparable to my own (big assumption) you can check/clean yourself very easily. I can reach my shaft and prop with my right hand while holding onto a rope attached to the stern cleat with my left and still have my head above water. Guess if I found the zincs missing I'd have a different problem but for scrapping and cleaning find a clean creek, get into the water and see what you find.

Best of Luck...MGM
MGM, I figure I can reach it--it's probably the same distance as yours, though might be the opposite side of the boat. But when I tried it, I couldn't see anything whatsoever. And I didn't want to just reach out and grab the prop if there were barnacles or something on it. I'm betting I can get the hang of it if I can find someplace where I can see it, at least with a mask on.

By the way, sounds like you guys had a good Labor Day weekend!
Old 09-10-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I dive my own boat now, only way to make sure its done right.

The places that I've called around to on the bay were about $100 for my 25 footer. Couldn't find anyone cheaper.