Recommendation needed: Diver/bottom cleaning Annapolis area - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-10-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i dive my boat at the entrance to rock creek, it has a nice soft bottom. as well as it gets shallow gradually, moving 50 feet means about 6 inches of depth change.

just watch the minnows, they swarm when scraping barnacles. then they try to clean you off and it feels funny
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Scotty,

IMHO I would be carefull with the quaility of the water out of Rock Creek, Unless I was out far. There have been all sorts of alerts about high fecal chloroform counts as well. A number of people in our club have gotten sick swimming in the water there.

We keep our boat at the Maryland Yacht Club at the entrance to Rock Creek. I swim in the Chester, Whorton, Sassafrass. Personally I would never go in the water there unless it was an emergency.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-10-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
I'll second what Chef said. I used to keep a boat up there in Rock Creek. I thought I had a line wrapped around my prop, so I asked the marina office if I they had a mask I could borrow. The marina manager said "What?? You're not going IN that water, are you? If you do, you take a shower as soon as you get out!" Soon thereafter, I found the website for Anne Arundel County that listed the poop counts in the local waters and was astonished at how filthy Rock Creek and the Patapsco are. I even called the county and the guy said "That's nothing. Not too long ago, the water was so polluted, it was like battery acid. We were getting complaints of damage to boat hulls." I'm not sure how long ago that was, though.
Old 11-10-2009

Inamorata is on a distinguished road
Blue Planet Dive Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrman View Post
Has anyone heard from them lately? I've left email and voicemail messages for over a week and have not heard back from them.
I called a few times last week and the mailbox was full on the business number. There was no answer on the cell phone, but eventually Sally called me back after seeing my number a few times on her recent calls list.

We eventually made an appointment for yesterday afternoon to have the bottom done. I tried calling a couple of days ahead, just to make sure we were still on schedule, but again I could not reach anybody by phone. I thought they were probably just too busy to take calls, and that since we confirmed the appointment place and time, that everything would probably be okay.

Yesterday I waited at our boat at the agreed upon time and place. They never showed up. That's the last time I will call Blue Planet!
Old 11-11-2009

Other names for divers

Thought I'd post a couple of names for divers I found after Blue Planet Divers didn't show up on their scheduled appointment. All of the following divers seem good, and they all were willing to work on Sunday. And, they answer their phones and return calls

John at Commander Dive Services: 410-971-4777

Ryan at R&D: 443-763-0994
Old 06-24-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
I'm refreshing this thread because Blue Planet got a lot of recommendations early on and then appeared to go MIA last fall. Anyone have any divers they've used this season and would recommend?
Old 06-25-2010

We used John at Commander Dive Service last fall and they were excellent
Phone: 410-971-4777
Old 06-18-2012
J/35 One Design Racer

windependent is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommendation needed: Diver/bottom cleaning Annapolis area

I would NEVER EVER use Yellow Dick Diving again and I would emphatically recommend against them to anyone. He was supposed to clean the bottom of our race boat every Wednesday, and again at the end of the week on a regatta weekend. On a Saturday two weeks ago I went swimming with my family and friends and sliced my finger open on three LARGE BARNACLES. I called/left three voicemails and sent two email; no response. Then I showed up to race the next Wednesday and the bottom was still untouched. Called and sent emails again; again, no response. Had a regatta on Sunday...still nothing done. When I finally got in touch with him, on Sunday morning, all he had to say was "Gee, ya dude, I hear ya." This is the third time in a year and a half that he has screwed me like this. Stay far far away from Yellow Dick Diving.
Old 06-19-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

Im charging 3.00 a foot for sailing vessels, 2.50 for power boats privately owned. Commercial vessels I will charge an hourly or flat fee depending on the circumstances. I make more business in the winter than I do spring through end of summer because when its 25 degree air and 34 degree water im the only one around and you can bet the rates go up for that. Now, EVERYONE and their brother who has a tank calls themselves commercial divers, undercutting my company to the point that I cant compete with them which in turn, only hurts the entire diving community as well as myself. Do be careful on who you hire. Ensure they are properly trained, knowledgable and insured! Not just some weekend warrior looking for beer money. If they are just a recreational diver and get hurt while under hire YOU are exposed legally for them getting injured.
Old 06-19-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

My reccommendation is Charles Gilless - "Up the Creek Diving." email cgilless@msn.com. phone is 410-three two zero - 4798.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!