Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-21-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Tiller delaminating, which glue?

The tiller on my new boat is delaminated badly. All the layers of wood are separating. My plan is to pour glue in between the layers. Then clamp them tight and leave overnight. Sand then stain the exterior. Good as new I hope. Question is which glue, Tightbond III or Epoxy?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2009

bheintz is on a distinguished road
If I were doing the job I'd use Epoxy (System 3, West System, MAS, etc.) without any filler. Then Sand and Varnish it.
Old 08-21-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The nice thing about epoxy is it leaves an invisible glue line. Uv will yellow it but only if it is not protected by varnish.
Brian
Old 08-21-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Don't clamp so tight that you squeeze all the glue from between the laminate. That will reduce the holding power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 08-21-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Absolutely use Gorilla glue, its the perfect aplication for that glue. Wet the wood prior to application, then calmp tightly.
Old 08-21-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I second Gorilla glue but make sure it's the polyurethane adhesive ( maple in color ) and NOT Gorilla Wood glue.

Also, Gorilla has a Epoxy now with gap filling capabilities but I haven't tried it yet

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-21-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
I do alot of laminating and repairs such as this and prefer to use epoxy and cotten fibers added . Gorialla glue is convenient but expands alot and if you are not careful will get alot of squeeze out that hardens and you have to remove also , it tends to form air bubbles in it. I just use west expoxy or some simlar epoxy and first wet out the parts to be repaired with raw epoxy , then mix in a little cotten fiber filler( it really helps bonding when laminating wood together) , then clamp up and wipe off any squeeze out while it is still wet. As previously pointed out in prior post, do not clamp up too tight or you will squeeze all the expoxy out, just enough to firmly bring the pieces together. After it sets, lightly sand off the tiller and revarnish. Rick
Old 08-22-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
OK ..I have a question for you gorilla glue fans...every time I have used it for a wet application the glue dissolves..whats up with that?

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-22-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I sometimes use Elmer's Ultimate glue which I believe is a polyurethane based glue, and I think similar to Gorilla glue. It is available in both interior and exterior versions. The one I use is exterior, but not for immersion in water. While the instructions clearly state surfaces must be dry, clean and free of dirt, oil and old glue, it is a moisture curing glue and they say to wipe both surfaces with a damp cloth a minute before gluing. I have used this glue only on projects inside the boat and only if it will not be seen as the glue line is visible. It also expands upon curing and the expanded bubbly glue must be cleaned off after curing. Epoxy is waterproof and cleanup is easier the downside being having to mix 2 parts to start with.
Brian
Old 08-22-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
midnightsailor, I agree, it dose naturally expand; I use a blade once it gets that cream color and the squeeze out is easily removed; I have never had a joint or repair fail but, I have never compare it to your method either

Stillraining, I don't know how to answer that, there is a polyvinyl based that is water resistant but it's also water saluble making it easy to clean up with water, then there's the urethane polymer based that 100% waterproof; Also there's a 24hr/100% cure time.

I like the stuff, it's strong and like midnight said, it's convenient as in easy to store onboard

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies