Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-26-2009

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
Replacing 20 year old Danforth anchor

I have a 35' sailboat (around 13,000 lbs) that is 20 years old; I purchased it last year. It came with 2 anchors, a 20H Danforth and a 25 lb CQR. It appears the Danforth has been used the most and is well rusted and the shackle is likely degraded. So I decided to get new anchor, chain and rode for the primary anchor.

I purchased a 'traditional' anchor from my local convenience marine store to replace the 20 year old Danforth anchor. I have 2 problems with what I purchased. My existing 20 H Danforth is 20 lbs and has width of 20", that is the length of the rod that the flukes pivot on. The new 'traditional' anchor is 22 lbs, but has a width or rod length of 27". At 27" it will not fit in my anchor locker. I checked on the Danforth web site and they list the 20 H as having a width of nearly 27". So it appears that the PO must have modified the rod length to fit in the anchor locker. What is the purpose of the specific rod length on the Danforth? It must have something to do with the center of gravity and it not tipping over if it lands on its side, but how much will I change that if I grind off 3" from each end, as the PO must have done, so it fits in the locker?

The second problem I have is that they sold me the 'traditional' anchor (very reasonably priced) as a identical replacement for my 20 H Danforth with a straight face, because both the Danforth's and the 'traditional' anchors are made by the same company (Tie Down Engineering). I specifically asked about ordering a Danforth and about their High Strength Fluke Anchors, but they would take 3-4 weeks to get in. What they had available in stock is their 'traditional' anchor. I am thinking I made a mistake and should return it as when I returned home and checked the web site, the price difference is substantial between the Danforth and the 'traditional.' Am I correct in assuming that the quality difference is also substantial?

thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I assume you a talking about the West Marine anchor. I bought one to replace a "real" Danforth over 10 years ago and find it to be decent anchor. Quality seems fine and has all the pluses and minuses of a fluke type anchor. I suspect the PO cut the rod down so it would fit in the locker. My guess is this will reduce the ability of the anchor to set reliably somewhat.
Old 08-27-2009

I bought a Rocna instead!

Sure, it was the local WM and I will state up front that they did not in anyway misrepresent the anchors they had in the store. But when you are standing there looking at a Rocna on the shelf for $499 and a traditional Danforth for around $100, you are bound to say to yourself, why am I spending an extra $400?

What bothers me was that I got sucked into the lower price anchor just like everyone else. There where two on the shelf when I came in. People were coming into the store pretty regular and with the Danny approaching NC they were looking for ground tackle and lines. A fella walked in, grabbed one of the traditional anchors and then there was only 1, so I grabbed one also.

I went in with the intention of replacing my Old High Tensile Strength Danforth with a newer and next size up. But you cannot do that, without a 4 week wait. The reason is that they just don't sell that many HT Danforths, there is no demand (I am sure there is a chicken and egg problem here) so they don't stock them and they take a long time to get.

But if you could do an in store comparison (and you can if you ask and look on the internet, etc) you would see that the HT Danforth is more like $350 not $100 and so the difference in price between it and a heavier Rocna is not that much.

Anyway all of this bothered me driving home and so early this morning I called the store and told them to hold the Rocna (it is a #15 the 33 lb anchor which is more anchor than the 20 H Danforth that I am replacing) and they said sure no problem and where very interested to listen to my minor complaint.

I also bought 50' of new 5/16 chain and 150' of 5/8" rode as my intention is to make this my primary anchor and have the old Danforth and the CQR as backups or alternates.

I have an windlass that is several years old and I was not sure which chain to get. There is a difference in the link size between BBB, G4 and High Tensile strength. But fortunately my old chain is stamped with a '3B' presumably standing for BBB and that is the same size as the G4 I purchased.

I bought a thimble with the line and so this morning I did my first ever eye splice. The hard part for me was trying to keep the strands twisted as I passed them over and under. After I was done I took them to sail maker who does splicing and whipping and he said for a first try it was not bad, just too long.

That was not a problem. I had him add whipping to the thimble and at the finish of the splice and the bitter end. He said that actually it is better to let the strands go flat when you make the splice as that provides a better grip on those strands as the splice tightens down.

His feeling on anchors was that good anchors are more useful than even your engine. You can always drop it and wait out a situation or use it to pull you off a grounding because if it sets well, you are pulling on something that is really solid. He has 5 anchors on his boat and all are ready to go.

I did not plan to buy the Rocna, but given all that I have read about them on this forum I am happy with this decision. One question I had for WM was if I used it and was not happy with it would they take it back. They said that is entirely up to Rocna, so there is a question for Craig.

cheers
Old 08-27-2009
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Ron, WM have their own returns policy, but Rocna also have a no-questions-asked money back guarantee. "We unconditionally guarantee your Rocna will be the best anchor you’ve ever used - end of story!" etc. Get in touch with the North American distributor (SCM in Vancouver, details on the Rocna website) for more info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 08-28-2009

Rocna policy

Craig,
Thanks, I figured you would 'monitor' any and all anchor threads.

This particular WM manager said he did not know your policy, but he would honor whatever it was.

I am not concerned, I expect it to perform admirably. They had the #10 and the #15 in the store, they indicated your sizing was more conservative than others and it looked, from the chart, that the #15 was a reasonable size for my 35', 13,000 lb displacement sailboat.

This all ties in with my entrees in the Hurricane preparation thread, where I am considering anchoring in a creek if we get hit. I figure now with 3 anchors, well protected creek and some trees to tie off to, I should be in good shape to weather most of the bad weather we could get.

thanks,
Old 08-28-2009

ANCORALATINA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith View Post
"We unconditionally guarantee your Rocna will be the best anchor you’ve ever used .

Who?? other than Rocna people in general and C.S. in particular, says the same thing??..

A good anchor ?? Why not? But to be « the best » you have to compare with other anchors...

And more « independent » the comparison, better too...

If I’m well informed, the Rocna anchor has been compared in independent tests by several different nautical magazines:
- First test has been done by the Sailing magazine Practical Sailor in soft mud in year 2006
o Best choice : XYZ anchor
o Recommended : Bulwagga anchor and Davis talon
o Budget buy : Hydrobubble anchor

- Second test done in dec 2006 by Sail Magazine
o Best holding power 1° Hydrobubble anchor - 2° Fortress anchor – 3° Spade anchor

- New Practical Sailor test ‘Heavy weight anchors » dec 2008
o Best choice Manson Ray anchor

- Yacht Magazine (Germany) August 2009
o Best choice (four stars) – Kobra anchor (Plastimo) – Manson Supreme

In these four anchor tests, the Rocna has never been « the Best »?..

Could you please Craig, tell us to which INDEPENDENT test you are referring to affirm that the Rocna is « the Best » ??

Could you also tell us more precisely how the « Chinese » Rocna model compares with the original one??

João NODARI

Last edited by ANCORALATINA; 08-28-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2009

marinextreme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANCORALATINA View Post
Who?? other than Rocna people in general and C.S. in particular, says the same thing??..

A good anchor ?? Why not? But to be « the best » you have to compare with other anchors...

And more « independent » the comparison, better too...

If I’m well informed, the Rocna anchor has been compared in independent tests by several different nautical magazines:
- First test has been done by the Sailing magazine Practical Sailor in soft mud in year 2006
o Best choice : XYZ anchor
o Recommended : Bulwagga anchor and Davis talon
o Budget buy : Hydrobubble anchor

- Second test done in dec 2006 by Sail Magazine
o Best holding power 1° Hydrobubble anchor - 2° Fortress anchor – 3° Spade anchor

- New Practical Sailor test ‘Heavy weight anchors » dec 2008
o Best choice Manson Ray anchor

- Yacht Magazine (Germany) August 2009
o Best choice (four stars) – Kobra anchor (Plastimo) – Manson Supreme

In these four anchor tests, the Rocna has never been « the Best »?..

Could you please Craig, tell us to which INDEPENDENT test you are referring to affirm that the Rocna is « the Best » ??

Could you also tell us more precisely how the « Chinese » Rocna model compares with the original one??

João NODARI

Alain,

Perhaps you could point out please where in Craig's posting the word " independent" appears?

The posting does not claim that any test either independent or otherwise states that the Rocna is the 'best'.

We at Rocna do not make that claim either in reference to testing.

We simply state , as Craig points out, that we stand by our guarentee that the Rocna will be the best that you have ever used , or return it. That assessment is up to the individual purchaser and to date we have not had a single return based on our Rocna not being the best that the purchaser has used, or of the Rocna being so poor in performance that the purchaser wants to return it. That says it all.

It is of constant amusement to me that our Rocna instills such fear in you that every posting to do with Rocna brings out a totally negative posting from you in an attempt to discredit either the design, the performance or the origin and method of manufacture.

The one thing we do know is that the Chinese production facility is turning out the best manufactured and finished ROCNA that we have ever had in our hands. It is not just a copy, imitation, or slightly altered version of an original , but a faithfully reproduced superior item to the original.

It is a pity to find yet another useful thread hijacked again by the competition (?) and dragged away to be another Rocna bash or Craig bash.

Try to keep it clean for the sake of those who enjoy informative discussion

Grant King
Production Manager
Rocna Anchors, New Zealand