SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Boat cleat repair. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/57583-boat-cleat-repair.html)

dieselboy 08-30-2009 01:37 PM

Boat cleat repair.
 
So, i bought this 29' Jensen Cal....
The boat sail's great , it has great lines and i just love the way older "thicker boats sail but, she is an Ike survivor and has had three cleats torn out... Two on the bow and on on port side stern. The marina she was wet docked in is no longer there. At all.. 90% of all the boats there were destroyed or mia.. Less than 20 boats survived .
She was found a drift dragging a chunk of dock with her in to Galveston bay.
I had her checked out top to bottom and other than a few minor things " and these cleats" she is sound.

Any way i am looking for recommendations on the repair of the deck and cleat replacement.

I did a search on here but did not turn up much. Can any one shed some light on this topic for me?
Thanks for your time.

badsanta 08-31-2009 02:50 AM

Can you get to the underside of the cleat? If you can I would clean out the whole thing and back up the bottom with several layers of glass. then fill in the top. Finish with gel coat and then re drill for the cleats. I would really back it up alot, long and wide. It may have not just pulled out but really weakened a wide section other than the obvious.

dieselboy 08-31-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badsanta (Post 518474)
Can you get to the underside of the cleat? If you can I would clean out the whole thing and back up the bottom with several layers of glass. then fill in the top. Finish with gel coat and then re drill for the cleats. I would really back it up alot, long and wide. It may have not just pulled out but really weakened a wide section other than the obvious.


I Can and have been under all of them. They are very clean pull outs .. What ever happened it was fast! Sharp fast ductile holes.
What should i do about the 3/4 plywood ?

"""""That derelict boat was another dream for somebody else, don't let it be your nightmare and a waste of your life. """""" Is that a warning to me?? lol

padean 08-31-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselboy (Post 518521)
I Can and have been under all of them. They are very clean pull outs .. What ever happened it was fast! Sharp fast ductile holes.
What should i do about the 3/4 plywood ?


Overdrill the holes, let the wood dry out well (since the boat was found drifting with these holes) and fill with epoxy, then redrill to appropriate size. MainSail has an excellent photo description of a good way to do this at:

Re-Bedding Hardware Photo Gallery by Maine Sailing at pbase.com

I would be concerned about the deck in these areas even if it looks like fairly clean holes. I agree with BadSanta that putting a few layers of glass along the bottom side is a good idea, along with a good backing plate of a solid material.

badsanta 08-31-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselboy (Post 518521)
"""""That derelict boat was another dream for somebody else, don't let it be your nightmare and a waste of your life. """""" Is that a warning to me?? lol

That is for me! I learn slowly and I want to remind myself not to take on a huge project. I wasted years trying to fix some ones dream. You really just want to sail insted of sitting in a yard for years. There are alot of unfinished projects out there, for a reason.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012