Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-31-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
BBQ and propane question

I have a Magma BBQ that I have been using a small 10 Lbs. refillable cylinder with and a 5 ft. high pressure hose connected to the regulator attached to the BBQ.

the regulator has all but stopped working now and in reading the manual ( I know ...... I actually did pull out the manual ) this set-up is against ABYC guidlines and will lead to the failure of the regulator.

Magma's grills are designed for use with small disposable propane canisters or with preregulated
low-pressure propane and optional low-pressure valves. Running high-pressure
propane fuel supply lines on a boat is in violation of American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC)
guidelines and is not considered a safe application. Additionally, impurities found in larger
refillable propane tanks may clog the small orifices in the high-pressure control valve/
regulator causing it to lose performance capabilities and eventually fail.

Anyone else tried this setup or are you using the expensive, disposable, environment unfriendly cannisters. Which are also a pain to store onboard and dispose of when empty.

Other option would be to tee off the exsitng on-board propane system at $100 worth of parts and then I would have to leave the propane locker lid open while BBQ'ing ( which is most nights ) and would be in the way in the cockpit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We've always run a line directly from either 5 or 11lb refillable tanks to the BBQ reg... Haven't had any issues with it so far, but did not realize it contravenes the ABYC guidelines.... (but they aaare more like guidelines, are they not?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-31-2009
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I"ve used a tee'd high pressure hose from my main propane tanks to the regulator on my grill on three different boats over the past 18 years with no problem.
Old 08-31-2009

Not so worried about the regs as the hose is always in an external location, leaks if occured, would not be a problem. My issue is the regulator which is now not working, which could be from using the refillable tanks.

How long have your regulators lasted. This one is only 3 years.
Old 08-31-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
I have never tried setting up my BBQ with a refillable tank setup, preferring up until now to use the small disposable tanks. I may in the future strive to do this depending on what the feed back is on doing this. In the meantime, I have used a simple, elegant and safe solution for storing additional tanks. Quite a few years ago I fabrictaed a cannister storage unit from a short length of PVC pipe , whose diameter is the same as that of the short ,fat cylindes(i forget the actual measurement). I made it long enough to hold threen cannisters and used a press on and cap for the top and a coupling and screw -on end cap for the bottom.(all of PVC) I made a bracket from a length of starboard, about 1' x 1"x 1/2" with two channels cut into it at either end, which I then screwed this the the length of the PVC tube and ran SS hose clamps through which I used to mountg this to the stern rail. A drain hole was drilled in the bottom cap. To use just pull off the top and drop in the cannisters and recap to store them. When one is needed just unscrew bottom and casnnister drops out. I recently saw almost the exact same thing being made and sold online for about $80.00 They have dispensed with the bottom cap and just ran a pin with a security chain through the bottom to hold the tanks in it looks like. I have since made several more of these for friends and customers and they work well, are cheap to make, especially if you already have a piece of appropriate size PVC kicking around! I also see that newer cannisters are coming with a special cap that opens the cannister valves and vents them prior to throwing them out to make recyclying them safer., Rick
Old 08-31-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We've had regs that lasted literally years, others that failed in a season. Always on refillable tanks.They are not a particularly high tech item as regulators go, so I'm sure the user is the ultimate tester.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We've had regs that lasted literally years, others that failed in a season. Always on refillable tanks.They are not a particularly high tech item as regulators go, so I'm sure the user is the ultimate tester.

So, I'm not the only one with the regulator failing. Maybe I'll just keep buying regulators as they fail.
Old 08-31-2009

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
My boat came with a propane tank (5 lb with regulator) to feed the stove / oven. I bought a Force 10 (stow and go) BBQ and tried to tee off the main tank, after the regulator. This resulted in the BBQ being double regulated, and having very low flame. After speaking with others, I tried adjusting the BBQ regulator, to allow more flame. This improved somewhat, but then allow propane to pass, even when "off", In the end, I bought a tee to go before the existing regulator, so I could feed the BBQ (and it's connected regulator) to the high pressure side. It has worked well since!

I don't know how the regulations can say to not use high pressure, when that's what the BBQ requires.

I do keep and eye on the pressure gauge, which tells me if there are any leaks. It looses very little pressure, after the bottle has been turned off, for hours / days.
Old 08-31-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
never had a LPG before ... we love charcoal ....
Old 08-31-2009
S/V Loon

TaylorC is on a distinguished road
Scott, I've been doing the same as you - high pressure hose from a second refillable tank to the BBQ. I figure the second tank is my backup if my primary tank goes empty for the main propane stove.

Problem is that I have not yet lead the gas line out of the propane locker through a nice fitting, so I have to open the top of the propane locker when I use the BBQ, and the hose is sort of in the way, since the propane locker is about where I want to stand when I grill.

I happened to have an empty tank when I started my cruise this year, so I just grabbed a little canister of propane and used the BBQ the way it was designed, and I suddenly realized that I had engineered a way more complex solution than I needed. Those little canisters are widely available, and I ought to just remove the second propane tank and use the extra room for my BBQ tools.

When I chartered, the charter figured about 1 week per canister, so carrying two or three seems reasonable for a two week cruise.