Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-03-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Changing traveler location?

I am thinking about moving the traveler on my Islander-28 forward 7". The structural modifications required to anchor and support it are not a problem. I am wondering if there are any important design considerations I should consider before making the changes. The traveler relocation is going to change the angles of the control lines if I don't move the bails. That doesn't seem to me to impact the loading of anything.

Currently the traveler delivers the main sheet to a block mounted cleat directly over the companionway. Redirecting it forward and routing it back to the cockpit is something I am doing anyway.

If you can think of a potential problem I will create by moving it please let me know.

Thanks,

George
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2009

bheintz is on a distinguished road

I presume there is a reason you want to do this, such as to mount a dodger.

Generally, the further aft the Traveler/Boom Bail is the lighter the load on the Main Sheet will be relative to Leach tension. (torque = force x distance). On the Islander 27 the Traveler is already relatively far forwards (approx. 50%). Moving it 7" probably will not be noticeable.

Having an offset between the Traveler and the Boom Bail will add a bit more compression load to the Gooseneck. Unless you do a lot of racing or sail with the Sheet in hard in heavy wind then you don't need to be too concerned in this respect.
Old 09-03-2009
Tundra Down

I could move the bails around if necessary but would rather not.

Yes, I am considering a dodger.

Thanks,

George
Old 09-03-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd give serious thought to moving it down into the cockpit rather than even more forward than it already is. (assuming bheintz' posted pic is accurate) You already have a serious case of "mid-boom-itis".

I realize there are implications with this too, but from a useability standpoint a mainsheet adjustment that is ready to hand is so much easier (and safer) than a cabin-top winch controlled arrangement, esp if you sail shorthanded. A boom-end mounted mainsheet looks like it would be near the helmsman to boot.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-03-2009
Tundra Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I'd give serious thought to moving it down into the cockpit rather than even more forward than it already is. (assuming bheintz' posted pic is accurate) You already have a serious case of "mid-boom-itis".

I realize there are implications with this too, but from a useability standpoint a mainsheet adjustment that is ready to hand is so much easier (and safer) than a cabin-top winch controlled arrangement, esp if you sail shorthanded. A boom-end mounted mainsheet looks like it would be near the helmsman to boot.
That is a worthy suggestion and I will consider how that might be done. The wheel already obstructs the cockpit so adding the traveler may not create a big problem.

That is an accurate picture of the boat. What problems are created by mid-boom itis? Is it access to the sheet? Is it a stress consideration? There are times when standing in the companionway with immediate access to the main sheet is handy. That is the way it is now. It is a bit of a pain having the sheet hanging down the companionway steps but it also gets a line out of the way. Having convenient access to it from the helm may be a preferable idea. Not involving a winch would be a very good thing. Any suggestions on where or how? I will start looking at other boats rigged that way.

If I moved the traveler forward how would that affect things? I was planning to run the sheet forward and turn it back to the cockpit through a clutch to a winch / cleat on the stbd cabin top beside the companionway opening. That is the arrangement on the port side now with a two line capacity.
Old 09-03-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Moving the traveler even more forward will reduce further any mechanical advantage the mainsheet has now, although if you utilize the existing bales the effect may not be noticable. The 'pull', though, will become less downward and have a forward component that could put added strain on the gooseneck fitting... simply put you're reducing the efficiency of an already compromised setup.

Installing the track across the cockpit just ahead of the helm binnacle should work OK, and as you say not cause any new significant obstacle there. Having your mainsheet - probably a simple 4 part tackle (using good low friction blocks) would be adequate- pulling on the end of the boom offers you a 6 foot longer lever to work with and it's handy to the helmsman. That location also deals with any dodger interference issues (including running the existing setup back into/under the dodger area). With a swivel fiddle block/camcleat on the mainsheet it will be equally accessible to the helmsman or anyone in the cockpit area.

Mid boom sheeting arrangements are more likely to fail in a hard gybe because the inertia of the end of the boom (and a large portion of the force on the sail) wants to carry on when the forward-mounted mainsheet pulls up short. Admittedly it rarely happens, but the effect can be imagined as being similar to breaking a yardstick over your knee. Try breaking that yardstick with the ends supported and striking it in the middle... it will take more force to do so.

btw - the picture shows no vang rigged - hopefully you do have one - it's one of the more important safety features of a well rigged boat.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."

Last edited by Faster; 09-03-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2009
Tundra Down

My wife might object to my removing the cockpit table to make room for the traveler. It would be a great place for it for single handed sailing.

What would you suggest the bail locations be for that set up?

Yes we do have a vang rigged. Essential!

George

Last edited by downeast450; 09-03-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2009
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
My wife might object to my removing the cockpit table to make room for the traveler. It would be a great place for it for single handed sailing.

What would you suggest the bail locations be for that set up?

Yes we do have a vang rigged. Essential!

George
The sheet could attach directly to the end of the boom, requiring a single attachment point - there may already be something usable in the boom end casting.

If you have a fold down table on the binnacle, then that is a problem... they're very nice to have. But - perhaps it might be modified to be stored while sailing and reattached when necessary - putting a snap shackle on the mainsheet connection to the traveller allows you to remove it to the rail (well out of the way) when moored, anchored etc.

Another issue might be cockpit lockers (looks like there's one to port?).. you'll need a fixed seat area in way of the traveller track to properly mount it (unless you'd be satisfied with a traveler only as wide as the space between the seats.)

So.. plan B (C?).. You have no bridge deck ahead of the companionway, but you could create one (SD has a thread somewhere on a similar project) and the track could go to the front of the cockpit. you'd also be modifying your companionway so this is much bigger deal - or simply span the gap but you create a shin-basher. Also having the mainsheet that far forward in the cockpit limits the aft extent of your planned dodger....

Aha!! Plan D - get a bigger boat

Here's a link to a sistership with a dodger and the traveler in the original location:

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Old 09-04-2009
Tundra Down

Plan D is on the drawing board! I just retired (last week).

This I-28 fell into my lap two years ago. Being a former boat builder (not my latest retirement) I have been indulging myself playing with it. I would have never shopped for this boat but have been pleasantly surprised by its performance and comfort. My plan was to sail it for a year and sell it. I am enjoying sailing it. Perry designed a good little boat. The price was right! I have decided to make it as easy to single hand as I can as I play. Adding a dodger will make the late season sailing more comfortable. Perhaps I will just remove the traveler, lay up a "flange" for the dodger that will sit under the traveler in its current location and provide a bit more surface for attaching bits. I was playing with the thought of custom building a hard dodger and thought the extra "shelf" space that moving the traveler forward would provide would be useful. It isn't necessary.

Racing sailboats has not yet become a passion but I see it sneaking up. My retirement plan is to buy something I can spend summers on, comfortably, here in the NE. I may keep the I-28, too, for fun. I occasionally crew on IODs here on Mount Desert Island and have a sense of what racing involves. What kind of a handicap do you think a dodger will create in a race. I do not intend to go to a folding prop so my racing will be for fun.

George
Old 09-04-2009
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Plan D is on the drawing board! I just retired (last week)........ What kind of a handicap do you think a dodger will create in a race. I do not intend to go to a folding prop so my racing will be for fun.

George
In performance terms the dodger's a non issue, esp if you're staying with a fixed prop - that's a much larger detriment to speed than the dodger.

Where the dodger gets in the way of racing is access to the cabin top controls like halyard stoppers, the mainsheet (if there), impeding crew moving rail to rail during tacking and possibly visibility/line of sight issues on close crossings. It also makes communicating with crew on the foredeck more difficult - a crew member working under the dodger will not hear or be heard well by anyone forward, and vice-versa.

Sounds like you got a good little boat - and your plans/intentions sort of rule out any major mods unless you're doing it for the fun of it!

Enjoy her as best you can and keep an eye out for the next one!!