Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Why live by the insurance company? The insurance industry is a bunch of extortive bullshite anyway!
A common refrain - right up to the minute you have an accident and guess where you'll turn for financial help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Not my insurance company! I only have the absolute minimum insurance possible, a requirement by my marina. And, as we all know, the absolute minimum insurance is only insurance by name, but will do nearly nothing to help with financial help.

The industry of insurance only exists because it is the status quo. It does not provide any real service to most, and is only purchased because it is a legal requirement. It is only a legal requirement because of the powerful lobbies of the insurance industry. Hence, I see it as extortion.
Old 09-06-2009

Quote:
Not my insurance company! I only have the absolute minimum insurance possible, a requirement by my marina. And, as we all know, the absolute minimum insurance is only insurance by name, but will do nearly nothing to help with financial help.

The industry of insurance only exists because it is the status quo. It does not provide any real service to most, and is only purchased because it is a legal requirement. It is only a legal requirement because of the powerful lobbies of the insurance industry. Hence, I see it as extortion.
That a very cavalier attitude. I don't want this to revert to some philosophical issue you have with the concept of insurance but suffice it to say we had a fire on our (new) boat 7 years ago which totally destroyed it. Had the same thing happened to you and you were out $400,000, you'd sing a different tune.

I care nothing if you or someone else has insurance; just stay away from the rest of us.
Old 09-06-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Well said by a college student who owns a 1968 24 foot Inlander. You were not a member of Sailnet when I was run down from behind by a power boat. He to only had minimum Insurance coverage. Unfortunate for both him and my wife, she not injured minimally. The jury verdict was 3 times his insurance limits. He was personally responsible for the difference after his insurance payed. So our attorney wanting to get paid, filed with the court to enforce the verdict. That meant seize his house and sell it at a public action and attach his earnings to help pay my wifes medical costs and losses.

He was called back into court to explain to the judge if could afford to pay the verdict or if the court should seize the property. He said to the judge that he would burn down his house before he would see sold at auction. The judge slapped a body attachment on him which meant he stayed in jail until the verdict was satisfied to protect the assets.

!0 days later, A certified check was at the court house. It's our understanding that he had to cash in investments, retirement accounts and re mortgage his house.

But think of what he saved not buying those higher insurance limits.

Last edited by bubb2; 09-06-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

[IMG][/IMG]

The skinny piece is the outer skin of a 500,000 dollar J-160 that did NOT have enough stands last winter and i dug it out of ONE of the many UNUSED stands it fell on to

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Well

[IMG][/IMG]

The skinny piece is the outer skin of a 500,000 dollar J-160 that did NOT have enough stands last winter and i dug it out of ONE of the many UNUSED stands it fell on to
What does this have to do with the strength of the wooden stands? What you're talking about has to do with the stupidity of the yard that put the boat on the stands. Sounds like a new boat to me!

Dave
Old 09-06-2009

I think the point is there are two lessons to be learned - that people who try to save a few dollars on the wrong things usually end up learning a very expensive lesson. The second lesson we learn here is those same people don't like to hear the first lesson.
Old 09-07-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
well

It has to do with stands failing ,these folded in a 60 knot storm BUT the boat was on the hard masr-up

AND he already bought the tops of the stands which is 2/3 of the total cost anyway ?

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-07-2009

peptobysmol is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why live by the insurance company? The insurance industry is a bunch of extortive bullshite anyway!
I agree 100%. If the ins. co. wants, they'll find a reason to deny your claim. Regardless if you have made routine and on-time payments for years. It wouldn't suprise me that certain accounts are randomized to be denied to maintain profitability
Old 09-09-2009

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptobysmol View Post
I agree 100%. If the ins. co. wants, they'll find a reason to deny your claim. Regardless if you have made routine and on-time payments for years. It wouldn't suprise me that certain accounts are randomized to be denied to maintain profitability
Randomized? I thought ALL insurance companies denied all claims until you took them to court... That's basically my experience anyways.

I agree with Tager about legally required private insurance amounting to extortion. It gives them a captive audience- they can literally charge as much as you can possibly afford to pay, and pay out only when ordered to do so by a judge but you'll keep buying it!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.