SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Home made jack stands

18K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  gjk50003 
#1 · (Edited)
x

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice idea

Those look to be a pretty nifty idea.

I saved your images, (I hope that's ok). I have a Cal21 that I wanted to put up and I also have had trouble locating stands that are sutiable. Granted the 1,500 pounds I am planning to support doesn't compare to your needs, but if properly executed,
you should be ok. If you need to you can always make more. Noah's boat was held up with wood, no? Good luck and work with many hands. Jim B.

#4 ·
Wood is amazingly strong in compression, and those are built to take advantage of the strength. So I wouldn't worry about them failing. Being made of wolmanized wood, they could conceivably outlast metal ones

Depending on what the cost is, If you are any good with tools, it would be a simple thing to make up some custom stands using the threaded adjusters and plates on them, or buy your own:

Scaffold Swivel Jack - Scaffold, Scaffolding from ScaffoldMart
At six inch extension there's something like a 10,00lbs safe working load on them.

Ken.

#5 ·
The stands look like they will work fine. I would be concerned about one detail that can easily be dealt with. The poppets[swivel pads] appear to be mounted into the vertical standards by drilling a hole in the end of the p.t. 4x4. If this union were to be side-loaded, it could split through the side of the 4x4 due to the allignment with the grain pattern in the wood. I would wrap the end with epoxy and glass tape, hose clamps, or even a whipping with parachute cord to prevent this. The poppets appear to be from Brownell or Hostar stands. Being the most expensive part of commercial stands, you could easily duplicate the lower halves with pipe and angle economically at a local welding shop if you wanted all metal stands. Metal stands are available through West Marine.[I buy them on my Port Supply account regularly.] They can also be ordered from the Hostar website.[they build hydraulic boat trailers similar to Brownell's]

#10 ·
Stands

I'm not sure that you're looking at thesame stands that I am, but the main supports that I see are more like 6x6's or even bigger. I don't see them breaking out. Stands are for side support, they keep the boat upright. They really don't hold the weight of the boat.

Dave

#9 ·
#12 ·
Not my insurance company! I only have the absolute minimum insurance possible, a requirement by my marina. And, as we all know, the absolute minimum insurance is only insurance by name, but will do nearly nothing to help with financial help.

The industry of insurance only exists because it is the status quo. It does not provide any real service to most, and is only purchased because it is a legal requirement. It is only a legal requirement because of the powerful lobbies of the insurance industry. Hence, I see it as extortion.

#13 ·
Not my insurance company! I only have the absolute minimum insurance possible, a requirement by my marina. And, as we all know, the absolute minimum insurance is only insurance by name, but will do nearly nothing to help with financial help.

The industry of insurance only exists because it is the status quo. It does not provide any real service to most, and is only purchased because it is a legal requirement. It is only a legal requirement because of the powerful lobbies of the insurance industry. Hence, I see it as extortion.
That a very cavalier attitude. I don't want this to revert to some philosophical issue you have with the concept of insurance but suffice it to say we had a fire on our (new) boat 7 years ago which totally destroyed it. Had the same thing happened to you and you were out $400,000, you'd sing a different tune.

I care nothing if you or someone else has insurance; just stay away from the rest of us.

#17 ·
I think the point is there are two lessons to be learned - that people who try to save a few dollars on the wrong things usually end up learning a very expensive lesson. The second lesson we learn here is those same people don't like to hear the first lesson.

#22 ·
To get back to the stands themselves...
Some have suggested the good idea of putting pads underneath the feet, to help them avoid sinking into the ground. If they sink or heave with a frost...oops. Our yard does this with their stands even on a paved surface. Another important safety feature is to chain the pairs of stands together so they can't slip out and have the boat fall over that way.

#23 ·
The pic's in the original post are really helpful... thanks a lot. I'm in a predicament where the person I bought the boat from informed me after the sale, one season later, that the jack stands were actually his and are not available for my use this winter. So looks like I'll be building some stands to brace a 23 foot Grampian.... really appeciate the pic's.

#24 ·
Wood jack stands

The pic's in the original post are really helpful... thanks a lot. I'm in a predicament where the person I bought the boat from informed me after the sale, one season later, that the jack stands were actually his and are not available for my use this winter. So looks like I'll be building some stands to brace a 23 foot Grampian.... really appecriate the pic's.

#25 ·
I have a proper metal cradle for my Edel 22'. The problem I have is that the 2 front pads rest against the topside paint instead of the bottom anti-fouling paint.

Come next April I want to paint the topside including the 8" squares now covered by these 2 pads.

QUESTION:
Can I use 6x6's jammed underneath the deck to act as temporary front stands and then loosen the 2 front pads enough to roll & tip under them?

The 6x6's would only be in place long enough for the paint to be applied and dry and then I would crank the pads back into place.

My boat has been on the hard for 2 years and is at the very back of the yard, blocked in securely by all the other boats over wintering. There is no way that they yard crew can get near my boat to re-position it properly on the cradle.

Thanks for your feedback

#28 ·
Ive just recently purchased a 1984 Starwind 22 and upon pulling it home and beginning cleaning 5 years of neglect off the hull have discovered several spots of needed gelcoat repair, and bottom paint. I can repair the gelcoat on the trailer, but the bottom paint is another matter! Im wondering if I can paint the exposed stern and bow bottoms, then after those areas dry move the boat to stands to finish the center section and keel?
As I see it the trailer supports the keel, and has two 10' bunkers supporting either side of the hull. So if I cradle the stern and bow, and provide blocking under the keel would that be sufficient to remove the trailer for painting?
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.