Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009

Ken05 is on a distinguished road
I worked for a 80,000+ employee Insurance Co. for a while. I can attest that the devil himself is a fat, new jersey insurance co. attorney.
The Board of Directors could easily step in for the cast of the "Sopranos" and no one would know the difference.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
To get back to the stands themselves...
Some have suggested the good idea of putting pads underneath the feet, to help them avoid sinking into the ground. If they sink or heave with a frost...oops. Our yard does this with their stands even on a paved surface. Another important safety feature is to chain the pairs of stands together so they can't slip out and have the boat fall over that way.
Old 10-07-2009

grandview846 is on a distinguished road
The pic's in the original post are really helpful... thanks a lot. I'm in a predicament where the person I bought the boat from informed me after the sale, one season later, that the jack stands were actually his and are not available for my use this winter. So looks like I'll be building some stands to brace a 23 foot Grampian.... really appeciate the pic's.
Old 10-07-2009

grandview846 is on a distinguished road
Wood jack stands

The pic's in the original post are really helpful... thanks a lot. I'm in a predicament where the person I bought the boat from informed me after the sale, one season later, that the jack stands were actually his and are not available for my use this winter. So looks like I'll be building some stands to brace a 23 foot Grampian.... really appecriate the pic's.
Old 11-22-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: Home made jack stands

I have a proper metal cradle for my Edel 22'. The problem I have is that the 2 front pads rest against the topside paint instead of the bottom anti-fouling paint.

Come next April I want to paint the topside including the 8" squares now covered by these 2 pads.

QUESTION:
Can I use 6x6's jammed underneath the deck to act as temporary front stands and then loosen the 2 front pads enough to roll & tip under them?

The 6x6's would only be in place long enough for the paint to be applied and dry and then I would crank the pads back into place.

My boat has been on the hard for 2 years and is at the very back of the yard, blocked in securely by all the other boats over wintering. There is no way that they yard crew can get near my boat to re-position it properly on the cradle.

Thanks for your feedback
Old 03-18-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

BUMP.....
And one of the pads spans topside, boot stripe and anti-fouling paints so if I can just use a couple of temporary 4X4 to support the deck I can get this lady back in the water.
Thanks.
Old 03-18-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Maybe you could just rent, or borrow a couple of metal jack stands from a boat yard.