SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Home made jack stands (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/57769-home-made-jack-stands.html)

moonie5961 09-05-2009 07:36 PM

Home made jack stands

2 Attachment(s)
x

jimmyb514 09-05-2009 08:21 PM

Nice idea

Those look to be a pretty nifty idea.

I saved your images, (I hope that's ok). I have a Cal21 that I wanted to put up and I also have had trouble locating stands that are sutiable. Granted the 1,500 pounds I am planning to support doesn't compare to your needs, but if properly executed,
you should be ok. If you need to you can always make more. Noah's boat was held up with wood, no? Good luck and work with many hands. Jim B.

jimmyb514 09-05-2009 08:27 PM

One more thing

I can't see in the pictures but you might want to put squares of 3/4" plywood under the main load bearing timbers (maybe doubled up), to spread the load to help keep it from settling too much. Again, the best too you.
Jim B.

merc2dogs 09-05-2009 11:45 PM

Wood is amazingly strong in compression, and those are built to take advantage of the strength. So I wouldn't worry about them failing. Being made of wolmanized wood, they could conceivably outlast metal ones

Depending on what the cost is, If you are any good with tools, it would be a simple thing to make up some custom stands using the threaded adjusters and plates on them, or buy your own:

Scaffold Swivel Jack - Scaffold, Scaffolding from ScaffoldMart
At six inch extension there's something like a 10,00lbs safe working load on them.

Ken.

xsboats 09-06-2009 08:39 AM

The stands look like they will work fine. I would be concerned about one detail that can easily be dealt with. The poppets[swivel pads] appear to be mounted into the vertical standards by drilling a hole in the end of the p.t. 4x4. If this union were to be side-loaded, it could split through the side of the 4x4 due to the allignment with the grain pattern in the wood. I would wrap the end with epoxy and glass tape, hose clamps, or even a whipping with parachute cord to prevent this. The poppets appear to be from Brownell or Hostar stands. Being the most expensive part of commercial stands, you could easily duplicate the lower halves with pipe and angle economically at a local welding shop if you wanted all metal stands. Metal stands are available through West Marine.[I buy them on my Port Supply account regularly.] They can also be ordered from the Hostar website.[they build hydraulic boat trailers similar to Brownell's]

JimsCAL 09-06-2009 09:41 AM

Defender sells Brownell jack stands. They also sell the screw swivel tops if you want to make the bottoms of wood.

k1vsk 09-06-2009 12:46 PM

Your insurance company would likely laugh at your claim if/when these failed.
I know us boaters can be cheap but, given the price of proper stands, some things are just not worth doing on the cheap.

tager 09-06-2009 02:01 PM

Why live by the insurance company? The insurance industry is a bunch of extortive bullshite anyway!

MarioG 09-06-2009 02:18 PM

I don't see any thing wrong with that, my boat sat on a wood cradle for 15 yrs and not much more then those. I built the trailer with that very method and it works great. the sides seem to be more for stablelizing then to hold the weight

Heres Cradle P1010306 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

heres trailer P1010034 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

nereussailor 09-06-2009 02:40 PM

Stands

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsboats (Post 520201)
The stands look like they will work fine. I would be concerned about one detail that can easily be dealt with. The poppets[swivel pads] appear to be mounted into the vertical standards by drilling a hole in the end of the p.t. 4x4. If this union were to be side-loaded, it could split through the side of the 4x4 due to the allignment with the grain pattern in the wood. I would wrap the end with epoxy and glass tape, hose clamps, or even a whipping with parachute cord to prevent this. The poppets appear to be from Brownell or Hostar stands. Being the most expensive part of commercial stands, you could easily duplicate the lower halves with pipe and angle economically at a local welding shop if you wanted all metal stands. Metal stands are available through West Marine.[I buy them on my Port Supply account regularly.] They can also be ordered from the Hostar website.[they build hydraulic boat trailers similar to Brownell's]

I'm not sure that you're looking at thesame stands that I am, but the main supports that I see are more like 6x6's or even bigger. I don't see them breaking out. Stands are for side support, they keep the boat upright. They really don't hold the weight of the boat.

Dave