Hypalon adhesive - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-06-2009 Thread Starter

Hypalon adhesive

Can someone tell me what kind of adhesive to use for patching hypalon? The stuff that Achilles put in their repair kit came out more or less completely congealed and it doesn't say on the tube what it is so that I can go buy some more.

As an aside, I've been pretty unimpressed with Achilles' attention to detail. They also shipped my dinghy without the fitting to mate the pump to the tube valves.

Anyway, what should I get for the patch job?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-06-2009

Crazy Glue works really well on hypalon

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't
post #3 of 11 Old 09-06-2009
I'd rather be sailing

I would highly recommend the Avon repair kit. It comes with a great two part glue plus all of the patches for hypalon. If you already have the patches, get a two part adhesive such as http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|294|99399&id=97333. They are great at holding on Hypalon. In addition, follow the instructions regarding preparation of the area to be patched - sanding and cleaning (toluol/toluene). The right prep and the right adhesive make a world of difference, and it's worth taking the extra time to get it right. If you don't, it's very difficult to fix things the second time around.

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
post #4 of 11 Old 09-07-2009 Thread Starter

Crazy Glue?! Really?!

I'm currently in the MON (Middle of Nowhere). East Timor, to be precise. There's not a chandlery within two week's sailing of here! So I was looking for the specific chemical name that I could go to the hardware shop to find. You know, something like polynasty sulfamutateyourchildren.

Can you help me out?

Thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old 09-07-2009 Thread Starter

I guess my real question is, is there a specific adhesive for hypalon or could I use something else, say, the stuff that came with my PVC repair kit?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-07-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo Kazumichi View Post
...They also shipped my dinghy without the fitting to mate the pump to the tube valves.

Thanks in advance!
I thought Achilles did the same with our new dinghy. I wrapped electrical tape around one of the other fittings to make it thick enough to fit snugly. Then while cleaning up the boxes, there the fitting was! And yes, I looked all over for it, several times.

So maybe they should be accused of shipping with invisible fittings, or hard-to-see fittings. Or maybe they throw them loose in the box and not in the little package with the pump, hose and fittings.

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
post #7 of 11 Old 09-07-2009
I'd rather be sailing

I'm pretty sure (not 100%, but 80%) that Hypalon needs a different prep than PVC. Generally, you need to use MEK or Toluene of some sort to prep the area for the glue, and then you need a major adhesive to actually hold. Maybe crazy glue will work, but since different crazy glues have different chemicals I'm guessing one size does not fit all. There are definitely one part hypalon adhesives too - I've just used the two part adhesives and had good luck. Hypalon is more of a plastic than anything else, so if you think about what types of glues stick to plastic (and what kinds of chemicals melt plastic - like don't use acetone) you'll be on the right track. I wish I could tell you specific chemicals, but I'm not sure what they use in the glues. I'm guessing it would be a mixture.

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
post #8 of 11 Old 09-07-2009
Reward for lost Kraken!

"So I was looking for the specific chemical name"
You won't get one. In the US "Bostik adhesive" is often the generic name, Bostik being an adhesive manufacturer. But what you want is "hypalon adhesive" and only and exactly "hypalon adhesive" no matter who makes it--if you want a durable long term repair. The hypalon needs to be cleaned and lightly sanded before the adhesive is applied. And, they all have a limited shelf life, even sealed in the can that is something like a short two years from date of manufacture.

In a pinch I would try a traditional yellow contact cement or a urethane-based adhesive (the big brand name in the US is "Goop" actually, from a small specialty maker) but I'd really want to hold out for the real thing.

See if there are any commercial divers' supply shops in the area, some diving dry suits are made of hypalon and they'd have the same adhesive for routine maintenance and repairs on them.

I definitely wouldn't use crazy glue--that's meant for rigid, not flexible, materials.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-07-2009 Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to get something at the local hardware store and hope it works long enough for me to get back to civilization.

Cheers!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-08-2009

Edo, I was dead serious about the Crazy Glue on Hyplon, we have a shop around the corner and all he does is sell and repair dinks, ( all brands ) he turned me on to the crazy glue, has worked great for me on applying accessories, most small pinholes wont need a patch, ( still not a bad idea to use one ) just dab some glue and let it cure

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.