SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Boat Owner

946 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  roline 
#1 ·
I just bought my first boat, a 1979 S2 7.3. The boat is in great shape for it's age but could use a little TLC. The teak is in good shape but I would like to clean it and oil it if neccesary, any advice on the best way and products? Any advice on a good place to buy cockpit and cabin cushions?

Thanks

Joe

#5 · (Edited)
For teak, Many have used oil and varnish at our marina, Cetol has outlasted them all. I prefer the original heavy pigmented one for its superior UV protection. What ever you choose, it is imperative that you always give it at least an annual light sanding and a new coat to prevent the elements from breaching the coating through micro cracks in the coating. I have replaced a little of the teak with the Starboard white where the teak coating was always being an issue.
Cockpit cushions, price "Bottom siders" for coated cushions that should last quite a while. Store inside when not in use.
Stores for supplies, Defender, Layline, APS, Rig Rite, Kenyon Spars, National sail supply, Sailnet sometimes has what I'm looking for, Landfall Navigation, JSI, and West Marine. Dont forget to surf Ebay for parts, I've $aved by being patient and surfing; Blocks, line, stove, used selftailing winches, Raymarine instruments, propane locker, etc....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.