SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Rent truck for trailoring (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/57818-rent-truck-trailoring.html)

davidpm 09-07-2009 09:35 PM

Rent truck for trailoring

Depending on how someone wants to use a tailorable boat owning a truck that will haul it may not make sense. For example if a mooring is available an the trailering is only once a season.

Does anyone have any experience in renting a truck for this purpose?
Is it done? Or maybe the risk is too much for the rental company.

smackdaddy 09-07-2009 10:11 PM

Dude, it's the U-Haul/Don't Tell policy. $19.95 a day - and ladies will love you backing that orange and silver monster down the ramp with a sailing yacht on the back. Trust me.

Wayne25 09-07-2009 10:22 PM

I also use U-Haul each spring and fall to tow my boats. Yes, $19.95/day, but its plus mileage. I still figure its less than one months payment on a truck.

smackdaddy 09-07-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne25 (Post 520516)
I also use U-Haul each spring and fall to tow my boats. Yes, $19.95/day, but its plus mileage. I still figure its less than one months payment on a truck.

And I bet you get screaming, bikini-clad babes hovering around your beast as you float that yacht right W25? Yeah man!

See David? It's a time-honored rite-of-passage. U-Haul+Yacht=Groupies. Every time.

davidpm 09-08-2009 06:09 PM

I've never rented a u-haul before. It must come with a hitch and hookup for lights and maybe brakes?

I'm assuming they are expecting you to tow a car.

davidpm 09-08-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne25 (Post 520516)

What kind of boat what kind of truck?

I've never rented a uhaul before and don't know their rules.

Wayne25 09-08-2009 10:23 PM

I use a 1/2 ton pick up and a 14' box truck. The pick up has a 2" receiver hitch and the box truck has a 2" ball welded on the truck. It has the lights set up for standard 4 row plug. No brake set up, I have surge brakes on both my trailers. The 1/2 ton pick up has been new or almost new everytime I rented it.

I have a 22' Penn Yan inboard and a Helms 25 sailboat. Both are stored in my barn from Mid Nov to the beginning of April. Its a 300 mile round trip.

nereussailor 09-09-2009 08:35 AM

I rented a Tahoe from Avis for a trip, They were all set up for towing, but didn't have the removable ball mount. Avis also tells you that you can't use their vehicles to tow a trailer. It's pretty much the don't ask don't tell policy. They're rigged for it but you can't do it. It makes no sense.

Dave

davidpm 09-10-2009 07:38 PM

It must be an insurance thing. You crack it up towing and your on your own.
I wonder if anyone offers a truck setup for towing and allows it in the contract. I wouldn't mind paying a little more to be legal.

davidpm 09-10-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne25 (Post 520826)
I use a 1/2 ton pick up and a 14' box truck. The pick up has a 2" receiver hitch and the box truck has a 2" ball welded on the truck. It has the lights set up for standard 4 row plug. No brake set up, I have surge brakes on both my trailers. The 1/2 ton pick up has been new or almost new everytime I rented it.

I have a 22' Penn Yan inboard and a Helms 25 sailboat. Both are stored in my barn from Mid Nov to the beginning of April. Its a 300 mile round trip.

The best I can figure is that the helms 25 weighs about 3200 lbs. With trailer and rig etc I figure maybe 4,000 all together.
It looks like a 1/2 ton truck with the right package can tow up wards of 8,000 lbs so it looks like you are will within the limits.
Just the insurance question if the contract disallows it.