SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Older C-Map ?'s (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/57819-older-c-map-s.html)

WheresTheBrakes 09-08-2009 12:41 AM

Older C-Map ?'s

I'm prepared to be yelled at, but here's the story:

A friend upgraded his fishing boat and gave me a Standard Horizon CP 150.
- I have no electronics on our sailboat, except a new VHF and small handheld GPS..
-I currently only sail in known waters, and use paper charts to plan wherever we go..
-I went offshore in a much larger boat and fell in love with the chartplotter and would love to snoop around the hundreds of routes and submenus... (i'm a nerd)

-I don't feel it is necessary to have the newest possible charts.. the river I keep the boat in is uncharted, as the sandbars shift so often, and I would just like to see our general position in the river, speed, course etc, on the "big screen" :)

Does anyone have a source for out of date C-maps ??

I'm sure i'll get a couple of "you're all going to die !" comments, but I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks on charts.. i need the $ for bottom paint !!! :)

Thanks in advance !
Joey

WheresTheBrakes 09-08-2009 11:11 PM

So is this some kind of Taboo ?? or should I know the answer already ??
I'm willing to hear a few "you'll poke your eye out ! "

xsboats 09-09-2009 06:15 AM

I have a set of old C-Maps covering Canada to Venezuela. While no longer accurate for navigation, they may give you hours of entertainment planning theoretical trips. What have you got for trade?

WheresTheBrakes 09-10-2009 12:00 AM

How old are they ??
I'm a photographer that likes to play with design..
I can advise you on camera/video/TV/laptop purchases, or design a business card/flyer or something small.. or an amazing 11x14 print from one of your files from a professional lab..
I'm really only interested in the area around Myrtle Beach/CharlestonSC/Savannah..

What do you think ??
Joey

roline 09-11-2009 06:20 AM

You can find used C-Map's on Ebay. I found one for the area from Charlotte harbor to Key West for my Nav6000. It was under $25. We use paper charts when navaguessing, GPS is only for second opinion. We usually have 3 or more handheld GPS units for us to review and argue over who's is most accurate.
I installed a Raymarine 630 older color chartplotter in my Cal 9.2. It can relay seatalk data from the other instruments to popup windows for reference. Its nice to have the real depth displayed to compare to the chart's depth reference especially when the TVA drops the lake in the winter. We sail all yr and need to avoid the mud and rocks that the low water bring....

xsboats 09-11-2009 06:51 AM

Joey ,I think they are from 1996 .I will get them out of my office this morning and check.Feel free to call me at 904-540-2291.I'm really interested in a new business card for my boat building/repair business. Scott

negrini 09-11-2009 03:47 PM

Moderators, I think a Trading thread would be great add to Sailnet. I really don't know how to make more out of my deep knowledge on dietary for pregnant ants .... btw, nice job Joey n Scott !