Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-09-2009
MOI

MiVelero is on a distinguished road
Mine started acting as stated above, replaced the drive belt and it lasted several months before the guides inside broke off and jamed as I'm entering the harbor- Oooops!!!
The manufacturer recomends ONLY a fresh water wash and NO LUBE. So after screwing around it and checking all alignments with no success and the final brake downn, I figured it was cheaper and sure cure to replace with the new ST4000+ wheel drive..... Problem solved.
Sometimes we need to accept that they have reached the end of their life span. There is alot of plastic in there to wear and fatigue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
“I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.”
Louisa May Alcott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2009

jrezab is on a distinguished road
I am also having problems with my 4000. I am experiencing a chatter from inside the wheel unit when the 4000 is disengaged. I want to separate the 2 halves but I do not know how the wheel unit is fastened together. I am cautious about prying it apart. How have you fellows separated the wheel unit parts from each other in order to check the belt conditions?

Jerry
New Bern, NC
Old 09-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
With the old (black) ST4000 drive unit, you just pry the halves apart. One half has a slight retaining "rib" that snaps over the rollers. This is just one of the weak areas of this era of drive unit. Over time, the weight of the drive motor can put pressure on this part, and things shift a bit causing binding.

Try supporting the motor drive with a zap strap or some such.. usually the wheel brake shaft is a convenient support point for this. We got an extra couple of seasons out of ours that way, even though a couple of the rollers had broken off.

As mentioned previously, RM has greatly improved the design with the newer (gray) drive units.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-27-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
I was told by two suppliers last week that Raymarine no longer supplies the D169 refurbish kit for the ST4000.
Old 09-27-2009

ereiss is on a distinguished road
Raymarine an ST4000

My St4000 started to have separation between the halves. I called Raymarine and was told 1) there is no adjustment and 2) there no longer have spare parts but to send it in. I asked why I should send it in if 1) and 2) were true. They replied they have some stock parts that they keep for their use.

However, the flat rate cost to put in some rubber wheels and/or a new belt is $375. I have seen new ST4000 MKII wheel units for sale for about $475. Raymarine is not on my "good" list. Their repair price is just outrageous. If there were some other wheel drive that would work with the brains from my ST4000 I would buy it in a minute.

So, if anyone wants my old ST4000 wheel drive for parts, let me know. You only need pay for shipping.
Old 10-14-2009

MikeSinclair is on a distinguished road
ST4000 Autohem

I found $16 relacement belts here (buy a couple!) at shop.polybelt.com

I also discovered a few problems with the water-tightness of the console unit - it's not very. They gto a lot of trouble to put a gasket between the two haves but there are a lot of other holes the water can get into. A little salt water on the circuit boad can ruin it (personal experience here). I ended up putting a little air hose attachment on the unit and pressurized it to a few psi and used a soapy rag to find the holes -they were all over the place! Most of them were where the push-on spade connectors that commute to the outside, through holes in the plastic that weren't sealed. I sealed them with glue. A little silicone grease to the gasket helps also.

If anyone has trouble with the LCD display showing strange characters, it's probably because of the rubber Z-connector between the LCD glass and the circuit board isn't making a good connection. If you press on the front of the unit and it appears to fix the problem, then read on. All you have to do is to take the unit apart, clamp the little plastic frame holding the LCD glass and Z-connector to the circuit board and glue the frame to the circuit board.

Mike
Old 11-24-2009

dsinger is on a distinguished road
Thanks Mike. I was having trouble with my Autohelm ST4000 control head getting funny numbers and symbols on the readout instead of a heading. Your trick with gluing the frame to the circuitboard worked wonders. I am also ordering several replacement belts from Polybelt for the wheeldrive unit.
Old 11-24-2009

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
My 4000 had a similar chattering problem when the auto was disengaged. A new belt fixed that problem. The new belt does not look as sturdy as the original. So it may be that it could wear out in a couple of years.

After reading the entire thread, I now know what other problems to expect down the road. Thanks for all the great info!
Old 02-03-2010

Sailartist is on a distinguished road
Hi Ereiss,
I noticed you were willing in September to give away your old wheel drive - Autohelm 4000. I have been looking for a part for mine for weeks with no luck. Do you still have it? I am willing to pay for shipping, if it has the part that i am looking for. The part i need is inside the wheel, called the Drive wheel assembly. Part #11 on the schematic.
thanks
Sailartist
Old 04-25-2010

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
Mike, what belt id number or part number did you order from them?