SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Help! Dropping mast with roller furling?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CalebD 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
This should be possible.. it's unfortunate in a way that the jib wasn't removed prior to haulout but I see your reluctance to unfurl it now. In a way, the furled sail may well protect the foil of the furler from being kinked one way or another. Just be sure that there's no way the sail can even try to unfurl as your boat's going upwind to Texas at 40+ knots!

Your bigger problem might be getting enough slack in the forestay to be able to disconnect it without proper access to the turnbuckle.

#3 ·
It's definitely possible - we did it the first time we dropped our stick. We transported our mast on crutches down through the Champlain Canal system and I wouldn't do it again - it was difficult to put back up due to all of the extra weight, and we had to be very careful about its positioning to make sure we didn't damage the sail. But - as I mentioned - you can do it, just be easy on the sail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.