Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
At least with WPA each client uses a different session key to talk to the AP. Clients can't decrypt traffic to and from other clients. Of course, there may be attacks against _that_, but they are likely to be a bit harder than sidejacking.
Old 11-02-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
BeneBrad,

Now I’ve just spent 3 hours or so reading your excellent post and I’m now convinced that I need one of your new wifi (or, as they say in the French islands, “weefee") techno marvels to boost my Skyping range while in the Carib this winter.

I think what I’ve learned from all this is that I need to order one of those 1000mm Bullet devices; an all-round, very long 12 bell antenna with female equipment on the bottom end (where it’s susposed to be, no doubt); 50 feet or so of that nice blue wire with square-type plugs on each end (I’ll follow Dog’s advice and try to find some of the tin wire that doesn’t fatigue when bent or corrode when continuously emmersed in salt water); then I’ll need one of those little $5 black boxes that Dog recommends (so I don’t have to hack up the nice blue wire like you did or demonstrate to Dog my capacity to be God’s improved idiot by blowing up my new-to-me PC); and finally, I need some wire to connect the little black box to an under-used circuit on my DC panel. Opps...almost forgot a short piece of the blue wire to go from the black box to the PC. I guess I’ll also need a method of hoisting the all-round 12 bell antenna up off the deck a bit. Will the flag haulyard do? Do I have everything?

Then, when all that’s set up (tell me if this is right -- the 12 bell is plugged to the Bullet thingie which is plugged to black box with the long blue wire which is connected to the PC with the short blue wire, and the little black box has 12V coming into the round hole on the left)? I watched a couple of You Tubes movies in languages no one in these longitudes can understand to figure out how to “plug and play” as they say -- did I get it right? Then, I dig out the 7 page installation guide Richardhula was kind enough to post and try to make his Windows 7 instructions work with XP PC. Miss anything here?

If I’m good thus far, the last thing I need to know is, if this doesn’t work as advertised, who do I get PO’ed at?
Old 11-02-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
If I’m good thus far, the last thing I need to know is, if this doesn’t work as advertised, who do I get PO’ed at?
Just yourself 'cos you will have done something wrong

Seriously though you seem to have the basics. Just one choice - do you go for the Bullet 2HP or newer M2HP (802.11n compliant) model.

It has been suggested that the M model is a tad slower with 802.11b & g connections which are still the most common in the Caribbean. I've found nothing to support this in practice, although there is the theory of greater backward compatibility overheads.

My thoughts on choosing the M model were compatibility with latest WiFi standard plus continued support I will enjoy for the newer device. Other than that the spec's are very similar. Don't look too hard for a 1000mm model though - they are shorter than that You might have trouble finding a 1000mW model as well. The true spec is 28-29dBm = 600-800mW despite the fact that Ubiquiti round it up to 1000mW in their advertising (maybe on a good day)

Would also suggest you try something a little more practical than your 12 bell antenna - might be a tad on the large side - try 12dB (deciBell) gain one instead

Even then don't use it in on full power in the USA - its only certified by FCC for use with 6dB gain antenna

Maybe I shouldn't mention this but Ubiquity provide a neat little tick (untick?) box called "Obey regulatory rules" for those less concerned with RF pollution
Familycruisers likes this.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by richardhula; 11-03-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BR—

I've got pretty good instructions for XP users on my blog.

A flag halyard would work nicely, but I'd add a line from the antenna to the cable, so that the wire's weight is supported by the line rather than the RJ45 data jack in the base of the Bullet.

What you'll need:

Bullet 2HP or M2HP
9 dB gain fiberglass antenna with N-Female connector on the base
A long ethernet cable, preferably tinned stranded wire, like Belden 1702A wire.
A 12 VDC POE injector
A short ethernet cable, again preferably tinned stranded wire, like Belden 1702A wire.

If you've got questions, give me a shout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-03-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Richard/SD,

Ok, I think I've got. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2010

sailpower is on a distinguished road
I am pretty much a novice with all this so have (at least) one question. When I connect to someone else’s wifi, is my computer visible to anyone on that same system?

I can think of major security concerns that could result.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
I am pretty much a novice with all this so have (at least) one question. When I connect to someone else’s wifi, is my computer visible to anyone on that same system?

Thanks.
Generally no unless you want it to be.

Make sure you have no file sharing set up, that you have up to date Internet security software running, & that the network you connect to is set on your PC as Public one (which most security packages will set by default).

For the record having used public WiFi networks throughout the Caribbean & east coast USA for seven years, I've never had any security issues. In the early days of WiFi I often used to see other users on shared networks, but this tends to be the exception nowadays.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Old 11-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends on what you mean by visible and also depends on what firewall software you have setup and how it is configured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post

Thanks.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-03-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Billy(S)Ruffin',

How difficult is it for you to get all the pieces delivered to you down there? Do you need someone to help be an intermediary for shipping?

A flag halyard will work, yes. And Dog's idea of taking the weight of the wire on the flag halyard instead of the connector is a really good one.

I'd go with a longer wire than 50', if you are planning to work down in the salon and routing the wire under your hard dodger. 75' would be better, I'd think.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 11-03-2010

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Mostly concerned about online banking.
Closed Thread