Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 11 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Mostly concerned about online banking.
The better banking sites are SSL-encrypted, so that your passwords and banking info are protected. However, if you're not using a good firewall, they can often hack your computer and then steal the information from the machine directly... When using an online site for financial transactions, including online shopping, look for the little padlock icon that tells you the site is encrypted and check the certificate if it is a new site for you. The website's URL will also generally have a https: prefix to indicate that it is secure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I realized that I didn't link to the antenna test from this thread. Here is the link to it.

Long Range Wifi -- Antenna Tests

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 11-04-2010

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Belated thank you for all the info!
Old 11-04-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
I am intrigued-this does not appear to have escaped from the Americas-whilst there appear to be resellers in UK I have never come across it before-am I right in assuming its an outside amplified wireless dongle capable of acessing weaker wifi signals?
Over here in UK I have just started using Fon.com-clever in that my service provider is one of its partners which means in exchange for allowing some public useage of my landline wireless broadband I can use others which means even here in quite remote communities I can get free wifi connections wherever there is a small community.
Old 11-04-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffiill View Post
I am intrigued-this does not appear to have escaped from the Americas-whilst there appear to be resellers in UK I have never come across it before-am I right in assuming its an outside amplified wireless dongle capable of acessing weaker wifi signals?
Over here in UK I have just started using Fon.com-clever in that my service provider is one of its partners which means in exchange for allowing some public useage of my landline wireless broadband I can use others which means even here in quite remote communities I can get free wifi connections wherever there is a small community.
No if you are referring to the Ubiquiti Bullet, its not a dongle - check out picture at start of this thread. It is in fact a Wireless/LAN bridge used mainly by WISP's (wireless internet service providers).

Because of its remote powering capability, high Tx power & Rx sensitivity, as well as high level of configureability, its ideal to provide long range WiFi/Internet access on a boat, with a LAN cable feed direct to your PC or via a local WLAN network for private re-distribution within your boat.

Given its mainly professional use there is little documentation with the device itself although plenty of support is available from Wiki as well as from the Ubiquiti forum & not forgetting this thread of course.

Although Ubiquiti offer other products, the Bullet, given its shape mounts directly to the base of an antenna with popular N type screw connector thus supporting it & providing zero cable loss which is particularly important at microwave frequencies.

If you haven't discovered them already check out WiFi-Stock. Its the UK site of a US company that supplied my M2HP Bullet.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Last edited by richardhula; 11-04-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2010

Hi-thanks-just been on a tight learning curve on this over last hour or so.Looks like a really good idea which does not seem to have taken off yet in UK-probably because bulk of those who sail are based in south of England where G3/iphones etc is order of the day.
Already checked out UK site who sadly insist on a minimum spend of £50-I was just after basic model-no extras.
However came up with Greek distributor who are far more laid back in their approach.
Does it need plugging right next to aerial?-assume signal loss in coax.down mast causes a problem?
Old 11-04-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Yes I was going to mention it was a supply & demand situation that is not so apparent in Europe.

In the Caribbean there are many AP's (access points) without security who's providers generally don't mind you connecting to them. Its also expected that most marina's provide some sort of wireless Internet access. I guess the latter is no different in the UK, but have not sailed there for ten years.

WiFi-Stock in the UK supplied all my equipment but as well as Bullet you will also need antenna (aerial) & POE (power injector) which should take you well over £50.

Let us know if you require any more help.

BTW the cable from the Bullet is a LAN Cat 5e (twisted pair) cable just carrying TCP/IP data like the cable that connected your PC to router before wireless, & can be up to 300 feet long with no loss of data. It is not a coaxial one & carries no RF - all the radio stuff happens at the Bullet/Antenna.

Its a matter of preference but I have my Bullet/Antenna mounted on the pushpit about 7 feet above deck - see post #14 (page 2) on this thread. 13 metres of LAN cable feed through the deck & a hidden route to the chart table where I have located the POE adapter to feed power from DC power sockets I have available on control panel. I can then use further short LAN cable direct to my laptop or feed a WiFi router within my boat for wireless access.

This means my installation is permanent, no hoisting up & down mast with attendant wear & tear. No worries about using tall antenna's at top of mast & easy maintenance if necessary. Using the boats 12 volt system I don't have to worry about volt drop over the longer length of cable either, although I'm told the Bullet works at full power down to 10.5 volts at the device end of the LAN cable.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Last edited by richardhula; 11-09-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Billy(S)Ruffin',

How difficult is it for you to get all the pieces delivered to you down there? Do you need someone to help be an intermediary for shipping?
Brad, thanks for the offer, but I'm still in the northland. I'll order the stuff and take it with me when I go south in December.
Scott
Old 11-07-2010

Wifi stock certainly do offer best deal on on all the bits now I have familiarised myself with the system and checked out suppliers across Europe and US.
Great thing here in UK is Fon which certainly covers all of Europe and UK-its claim to be worldwide is a bit questionable.
Fon allows you free access with some limits to other users home based wifi broadband in exchange for giving up some of your own useage. Result is that even in remote areas where other systems such as mobile broadband dont work you get access.
Old 11-13-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Yesterday I anchored out and managed to "work from home" using my setup.

Didn't do any testing on the height above the deck though. I had work to do.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.