Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 12 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010
CapitalistNYC

capitalistnyc is on a distinguished road
Check into a company called Clear/Clearwire. It is not a marine device but it is an internet and phone service provider with a plug and play device that works at home or boat. Home phone rings miles off shore while pumping wireless throughout your boat (max 5 laptops). I have streamed youtube 10 miles off LI, then surfed the web on the freeway home. Great service for sailors.

They just launched Nov 1 in NYC, Has anyone used this yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Morgan 36T

Last edited by capitalistnyc; 11-14-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: error
Old 11-14-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Clearwire is partnered with Sprint to deploy "WiMax".

You can think of this as WiFi on steroids, aka "Metropolitan area Wifi". Or as just another cellular broadband data service, same thing either way. How fast the deployment goes, and whether the companies stay in business, is anyone's guess. (Sprint is using this as part of a "Hail Mary Pass" trying to gain market share, they're still losing a lot of cellular business.)
Old 11-14-2010
CapitalistNYC

capitalistnyc is on a distinguished road
Clear has partnered with sprint only in leasing 4g network capabilities in exchange for 3g coverage in markets Clear has not reached, allowing them to be nationwide. They have been in business for years and founded by the founder of nextel which sold for 10+ billion I think.

Regardless, I could care less what their background is, who their partners are, or if they will be around in a few years. My home phone rings on the boat and my laptop is connected in the areas i sail. If you sail beyond 10 miles from the us this is not a solution for you. Its less than $50/month with no contract. Works for me.

Has anyone else used this service? I think they launched the west coast years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Morgan 36T
Old 11-14-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I have Broadband wireless. Posting with it now. Verizon with a 3g card.

Haven't tested how far offshore it works, but LI sound would work. Anywhere there's cellular coverage will work. I use it on the train to/from work and other places, so not planning on cancelling yet, even though I have the long distance wifi setup. (I say "yet" because my Driod does much of what I want to do on the laptop.)

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 11-15-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalistnyc View Post
Check into a company called Clear/Clearwire. It is not a marine device but it is an internet and phone service provider with a plug and play device that works at home or boat. Home phone rings miles off shore while pumping wireless throughout your boat (max 5 laptops). I have streamed youtube 10 miles off LI, then surfed the web on the freeway home. Great service for sailors.

They just launched Nov 1 in NYC, Has anyone used this yet?
I believe they use WiMax, a not yet widely adopted wireless technology working to the 802.16m protocol.

Like the 802.11n protocol used in the latest implementation of WiFi, it uses a table of different modulation/coding to ramp up/down the available speed as signal varies. MIMO (multiple input/output) is also supported by both protocols utilising two or more antenna's to provide multiple signal paths in order to increase bandwidth.

I have hired & used WiMax hardware in Dutch Saint Martin. Pre-configured, it provided plug'n play Internet LAN connection to my laptop & worked well over considerably greater range than conventional WiFi despite the device with small integral antenna being inside my boat. Although bandwidth/throughput was modest, it was very consistent at my remote anchored location. Given the large number of mega-yachts there, conventional WiFi channels are totally oversubscribed hence the reason a local provider offered this alternative.

I was told as well as greater range it will work under near line of sight conditions unlike WiFi, & I have no reason to doubt this. To quote a WISP:
"5GHz goes through air.
2.4GHz goes through one tree.
900MHz goes through two trees.
Chainsaws go through 3+ trees"

I think at the moment 40Mbps is achievable although the standard allows for much higher so it may be the future.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Last edited by richardhula; 11-15-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2010

LITTLESHIPS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LITTLESHIPS
Wanting to spend time away from the office with my family on our ketch but really need to be on line for business... are these sufficiently stable and efficient to give good comms...( given there are wifi signals in the area) or is it best just to go with a sat unit and be done with it? As I understand you can just log on the sat unit, download all emails and then switch off....answer in your own time, log on and then uplink replies?
Old 11-15-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLESHIPS View Post
Wanting to spend time away from the office with my family on our ketch but really need to be on line for business... are these sufficiently stable and efficient to give good comms...( given there are wifi signals in the area) or is it best just to go with a sat unit and be done with it? As I understand you can just log on the sat unit, download all emails and then switch off....answer in your own time, log on and then uplink replies?
Like comparing chalk with cheese

WiFi Internet connectivity will generally depend on the throughput available from the Access Point you connect to. This in turn will depend on bandwidth of backhaul feeding it, number of people using it, protocol being used & signal strength. Although obviously dependent on location, a long range system will generally give you a choice though.

Internet connectivity via Satellite with anything but the most expensive systems will probably be good enough for emails & maybe occasional web browsing at great expense. If your business requires regular access to the web & can support annual costs amounting to thousands of dollars (not to mention enormous equipment outlay) then it may be your ideal solution otherwise forget it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Last edited by richardhula; 11-15-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2010

sailpower is on a distinguished road
How about using Wifi at home? I live less than a mile (line of sight) from two major hotels that are hotspots. I am on the third floor of a six story building.

My Dell All in One desktop does not detect them but does detect some weaker unlocked networks.

Would it make sense to figure out how to receive the hotel hotspots and save the price of cable? Would it be ethical and/or safe to do so?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
If its free wifi its free wifi-would imagine the bullet2 amplified bridge which has a theoretical range of 40 kilometers should have no problem picking up and transmitting to these wifi hotspots.
Old 11-16-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
How about using Wifi at home? I live less than a mile (line of sight) from two major hotels that are hotspots. I am on the third floor of a six story building.

My Dell All in One desktop does not detect them but does detect some weaker unlocked networks.

Would it make sense to figure out how to receive the hotel hotspots and save the price of cable? Would it be ethical and/or safe to do so?

Thanks
If you are asking the question, then you are thinking correctly, IMHO.

Go and ask the hotel if you can use their wifi on a long term basis. Look for a friendly face that works for the hotel. You may get a "yes" like I did when I asked the marina nearest us. They even told me the encryption key/word, back when they had it secured.

If it is a library or something that your tax dollars pay for, you probably don't have to ask, since you are paying for it.

I use "incidental use" as one measure. If I'm logging in a to check email, that's one thing. If I'm watching netflicks every night, that's another thing altogether. (I still pay for internet at home, even though I'm pretty sure neighbors would let me use theirs.)

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Closed Thread