Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 13 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sailpower, if you have to ask you already know the answer.
"Would it make sense to figure out how to receive the hotel hotspots and save the price of cable? Would it be ethical and/or safe to do so?"
Not ethical for most of us, although your ethics might allow it. You don't mind if I sleep on your boat tonight, along with a couple of my friends, since I can get free access to it and you're not using it, right?
Safe? Well, unless you're in one of the states where mooching WiFi is specifically defined as "theft of services" and can get you prosecuted...itmight be safe, if your traffic is all encrypted and you don't have any risk of identity theft or the like.

Oh, guys, hey, he left beer and rum in the galley for us too!
Old 11-17-2010

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sailpower, if you have to ask you already know the answer.
"Would it make sense to figure out how to receive the hotel hotspots and save the price of cable? Would it be ethical and/or safe to do so?"
Not ethical for most of us, although your ethics might allow it. You don't mind if I sleep on your boat tonight, along with a couple of my friends, since I can get free access to it and you're not using it, right?
Safe? Well, unless you're in one of the states where mooching WiFi is specifically defined as "theft of services" and can get you prosecuted...itmight be safe, if your traffic is all encrypted and you don't have any risk of identity theft or the like.

Oh, guys, hey, he left beer and rum in the galley for us too!
I donít know much about wifi which is why I asked the question. Iím not looking to cheat anyone.

So, question, how is receiving free service offshore different than receiving the same signal on land?
Old 11-17-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"So, question, how is receiving free service offshore different than receiving the same signal on land?"
If someone is PROVIDING free service to you, that's fine. If you're simply plugging in and using it, that's no different onshore, offshore, inshore. You're plugging into a utility they have paid for, and you're consuming it without their permission.
That's theft of services in most places. The only question is, whether the providers wants to share it, or not. If the router's name isn't something like "Please enjoy sharing my wifi service"...you just don't know.
Old 11-17-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I generally find that if you ask them, they let you use it. Haven't had anyone say "no" yet (knocking on wood now).

I just looked at my cable bill at home. It's $45 each month for internet. Yes, I definitely have the means to grab it from someone else's open network, but I'm going to keep paying. Seems wrong otherwise.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 11-17-2010

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I generally find that if you ask them, they let you use it. Haven't had anyone say "no" yet (knocking on wood now).

I just looked at my cable bill at home. It's $45 each month for internet. Yes, I definitely have the means to grab it from someone else's open network, but I'm going to keep paying. Seems wrong otherwise.

Regards,
Brad
Thanks for your reasonable responses. I think I have the big picture and I agree with your conclusion.
Old 11-17-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Angry It Doesn"t Work.....

....so who do I blame?

I bought the bullet and the 9 dB antenna, the blue wire with network clips, and the injector. I dug out my 12V power supply and hooked it all up. I tried the PC set up the way Bene described in the OP and when that didn't work, I went to SailingDog's website and tried the Easy Net Switch method.

I got the green power light on the bullet immediately, and eventually the data light and, finally, after two days of trying I figured out exactly which things to click on in Easy Net Switch (it's different from the version on SD's blog), and then, voila, I could finally "see" my wifi in my wife's office from my new bullet/antenna on the dining room table.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT -- when I try to get to the internet I get

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

When I'm finished working my way through the "diagnose" routine, it tells me to contact my Network Administrator.

So, Network Administrator, where are you?

The bottom line is that the gear is working -- it will see all the wifi hotspots in my neighborhood. When I select my home network (the one in my wife's office), I get the signal strength, etc. on the Bullet screen on the PC.

So what's next, guys? If the new gear can see the wifi router, why can't it communicate with it and get me to the internet?

PS -- I tried sending SD a PM, but I guess he either doesn't look in his box, or he doesn't have me as one of his "friends"

Last edited by billyruffn; 11-17-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Scott,

I emailed support@ubnt.com. they opened a trouble ticket. I also registered for their forum (same look and feel as this forum). When I get my registration confirmed I'll post it on their forum too.

In the meantime, take a look at this setup guide. (Or is it what you were using already?). It is located here.

Regards,
Brad
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 11-17-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Scott,

I just heard back from them (10 or 15 minutes later). Here's the text:

Quote:
Hello Brad,

Did he follow the beginners setup guide for his configurations? What IP address is his computer receiving? It would help to see screen shots of his configurations.

Thanks,

Kevin Perry
Tech Support
Ubiquiti Networks
Support Line: (408) 942-1153
If you want, I'll give them your phone numbers so they can call you. (Or you can call Kevin at that number.) In the meantime, can you post some of the screenshots from the setup? I think you are almost there.

Regards,
Brad
Old 11-17-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Hey Bene!!!!

I was about to ask you how to post a screen shot, but figured I wouldn't embarrass myself before attempting one more time to read the directions carefully and follow them step by step. One of the problems was the screens on the guide you posted above and those I was seeing were not the same, but I figure that was a version issue. Anyhooo....

IT WORKS NOW!! I think it was the WLAN settings on the third page (Advanced?) I'll mess around with it for a while....to see if I can screw it up.

Happiness is a hot new radio rig!!

Thanks for you help,

Scott
Old 11-17-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Nice going Scott! Now can you stop by here and set the clock on the DVD player?

By the way, if you are planning to use dialectric grease, use it very sparingly on the connector/jack. They had a post on their forum about that. Probably best to not use any at all. I had problems with my first Bullet and I used dialectric grease. Maybe just a coincidence, but the springiness went out of the 8 little wires inside the jack. It got so I was wiggling things in behind those tiny little wires to get them to contact the cable's plug.

Regards,
Brad
Closed Thread