Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 19 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Nice setup estopa!

You haven't lived until you've experimented with a car battery in your house.

Regards,
Brad
Old 06-22-2011

foggysail is on a distinguished road
Just received my Bullet m2hp along with a POE box with a built in 15vdc supply. Had some initial problems getting through to the ubnt site to set the Bullet but that was a minor hold up.

My 15db antenna will be here next week!!!! Anxious to get the system up and operational. There are sooo many public sites (or at least was) over at Vineyard Haven where we plan to spend a couple of weeks. HAPPY, HAPPY I FOUND THIS SITE a year or so ago!!!

Foggy
Old 06-22-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
I hate to be a wet blanket or anything, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by estopa View Post
Those two antennas right next to each other like that aren't doing either of them any favours, performance-wise.

Jim
Old 06-24-2011

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
has anyone used the "wirie" advertised on this page for wifi access?
Old 06-24-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambianceack View Post
has anyone used the "wirie" advertised on this page for wifi access?
The Wirie is a repackaged Alfa USB wifi adapter. The repackaging includes a waterproof Pelican case, a mount, and a custom higher-gain antenna.

I have an Alfa adapter that I use as a portable range-extender. It works okay--certainly better than the built-in wifi in my laptop.

The Bullet2HP-based system on my boat is a substantial improvement over the Alfa.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2011

One can read my excitement above after receiving my Bullet. Great looking product but............

I am totally disgusted with Ubiquiti Networks support. Ubiquiti site recommends using their forum for technical questions.... Yeah, I posted two questions which received almost immediate responses from folks there providing helpful answers. My third post to communicate with one of the posters is still held up for review by a moderator!!! It along with another attempted post have not made the forum as I type. I have answers to my questions but through no help from Ubiquiti. There was nothing in my posts that would have caused concerns.

I was given a pointer to the user's manual last night in another boating forum. Best to look for technical help outside of Ubiquiti Networks.

EDIT:

UPDATE

I was able to resolve my issues at Ubiquiti. My post got hung up on a technicality, not a moderator that is now resolved. There is valuable information/instructions in this thread though so I will share my progress or lack of it when I get my antenna set up.

Foggy

Last edited by foggysail; 06-26-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Try the links to documentation on wififorboats.com . Good stuff.

The Bullet2HP is a wonderful product (I'm connected through one now). Send me a note if you continue to have problems and I'll try to help. There are lots and lots of us out there quite happy with them and pleased to have a system that works better than the alternatives.

Sorry you're having problems.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Try the links to documentation on wififorboats.com . Good stuff.

The Bullet2HP is a wonderful product (I'm connected through one now). Send me a note if you continue to have problems and I'll try to help. There are lots and lots of us out there quite happy with them and pleased to have a system that works better than the alternatives.

Sorry you're having problems.
Thanks SV---

If I stumble I will take advantage of your offer!! I want to get my antenna (next week for delivery) before I do much more with the system.

Foggy
Old 01-16-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Anything new to add to this thread?

Any interesting experiences?

I'm still messing around with a permanent installation. Just pulled the Cat5 cable out of my mast because it wasn't in the wiring race (conduit) but loose in the mast. I 0lan to redo it properly in the near future.

The "height above water" test is still a possibilty, it's just a matter of finding the time. Until I get the top-of-mast setup completed, I hang the Bullet2HP from the boom and it works well.

Here's a link to the 9db versus 12 db antenna tests. Long Range Wifi -- Antenna Tests

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 08-23-2012

RonRock is on a distinguished road
Re: Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless

I am in an attempt to set this up for a friend of mine that is getting ready to live aboard his Island Packet in the Bahamas. I have read so many threads on the setup that now I am almost more lost than when I started.

I plan to buy one of the Bullets and antenna as well as POE and Cat5.

From what I have read there is little difference between the Bullet M2HP (newer version) and the Bullet 2HP in performance. I have found that they are priced the same. So how do I decide between the two?

Antenna's seem to be a big question in this setup. From what I have read it seems that bigger is not always better in omni directional antennas. So I'm trying to decide between 8/10/12 db antenna. Please help me with that.

The POE and cable is easy enough. But If you guys could point me to a seller that has all of the pieces that would be great. Give me part numbers and I'll buy you a virtual beer. Hell I'll buy the house a round.

Part of my problem deciding on these items is that threads like this one and others discussing the Bullet were started a couple years ago. In electronics that seems to be a long time, things change. So looking for today's suggestions.

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited by RonRock; 08-23-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Closed Thread