Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
You could sell them on eBay.
After you get one that works, can you post pictures of the differences to help others avoid that problem?

Regards
In my attempts to get something that worked I got some adapters and the adapter that I got had the correct and incorrect ends on it. The online pictures are not good enough that you can tell the difference so I doubt that it will be much help. But maybe someone can put a name to the wrong one so that you can ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Bullet M2HP installation

Having recently installed a Bullet M2HP on my sailboat I have written a configuration guide to take you from as shipped to happily hooked up to a WiFi access point stage.

Richard

Last edited by richardhula; 10-10-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2010

Unfortunately being a new member forum rules require I make two plain posts before I can add any upload content so please bear with me.

Richard
Old 10-10-2010

Bullet installation configuration

OK here it is. This guide addresses issues I've not seen covered in any other.

I bought my equipment from these guys including POE box & 12db omni antenna which is supplied with bracket & fits straight on to Bullet. Total cost with 15 metres of screened Cat 5e cable $139.

Configuration instructions, which although written for M2HP will get you up & running with 2HP as well.

I have my Bullet hooked up to a surplus 802.11n router. My laptop, TV & smartphone all share the connectivity.

Richard

Last edited by richardhula; 10-17-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
One thing I noticed which bears adding here.... The Bullet2HP has to be turned on AFTER your laptop comes on. So if you have just powered-up your laptop, you have to cycle your Bullet2HP off (I usually wait a few second with it off) and then on again.

We currently have ours hoistable on a halyard. The final installation at the top of the mast will take place after I get the CAT5 cable run inside the mast. That's a 2-person job and we've been too busy having fun this past summer.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 10-12-2010

Hmm I think that might be an issue with your machine. My Bullet is left on permanently at the moment. As soon as my laptop boots up or its brought out of sleep mode, it connects. This is true with direct LAN connection or with my present setup, Bullet->802.11n WLAN router->laptop 802.11n WLAN adaptor (2x2 130Mbps).

I'm running Windows 7 x64 so that may explain why I don't have the same issue.

BTW I found that best settings for my WLAN router were with DHCP off as that task is performed by Bullet. I simply plug Bullet LAN cable into one of the four LAN sockets on router (doesn't have WAN port) & it provides transparent connection.

Would be interested to hear if you receive substantially better signal strengths with antenna at top of mast compared to say 6 feet above deck.

Regards

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by richardhula; 10-27-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
I used to own and operate a Wireless Internet company in the mid-west. I have used many of Ubiquti's commercial products with great suceess, but never the consumer line such as the Bullet.

I can tell you that things like increasing your antenna height, and higher gain antennas will all make large differences in the ability to reliably pick up a signal from a long distance.

As for the comment about avoiding high gain antennas on the water, that most definitly does NOT apply to wifi antennas. the higher the gain the better they will perform in nearly all situations.

As for the Antennas, Pacific Wireless makes very good low priced 2.4 Ghz outdoor omni antennas. They can be purchased from streakwave.com, and their sales staff is quite knowledgable (their main office is practically across the street from Ubiquiti, you won't find anyone with better knowledge).

to be clear, I do not have any affilliation with either company, but I do know people at each of them as a result of doing business with them for years.

Old 10-12-2010

Yes I agree with all your points (I too have served my time in microwave coms) although you didn't mention vertical beam width.

Rightly or wrongly I ignored popular advice on using an omni of no more than 6dB gain to avoid this issue. I have a 12dB gain one which claims an 8° vertical beam width, but so far no problems. If my boat is rolling so much at anchor that I start to loose Internet connectivity, that would be the last thing on my mind.

It's probably not practical to put a 12db gain omni at the top of the mast given its 4 foot length, so I was wondering what Brad was using.

I would be particularly interested to know how a 12dB omni performed on average at say 12 feet above the water compared to a 6dB one 60 feet up, given that most AP's are around 15-20 feet above ground in the Caribbean.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Last edited by richardhula; 10-12-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Yes I agree with all your points (I too have served my time in microwave coms) although you didn't mention vertical beam width.

Rightly or wrongly I ignored popular advice on using an omni of no more than 6dB gain to avoid this issue. I have a 12dB gain one which claims an 8° vertical beam width, but so far no problems. If my boat is rolling so much at anchor that I start to loose Internet connectivity, that would be the last thing on my mind.

It's probably not practical to put a 12db gain omni at the top of the mast given its 4 foot length, so I was wondering what Brad was using.

I would be particularly interested to know how a 12dB omni performed on average at say 12 feet above the water compared to a 6dB one 60 feet up, given that most AP's are around 15-20 feet above ground in the Caribbean.
Yes, it's 4 feet long. The mast had a "mystery antenna" mounted atop it that I took down. Everything is a match threading-wise.

I did some tests and saved screenshots. Mainly using a 9 db versus a 12 db gain antenna. i still have to post about it. Been a bit too busy to get my head around it. It's coming though. Let's just say that I hit the marina 1/2 mile away at 2.4+Mbps.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 10-12-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
Vertical beamwidth is a consideration, but I beleive the water will actually partially negate that as there may be significant multi-pathing from being reflected off the surface of the water. There is a trade off, but I think the gain from a higher gain antenna (yes, pun intended) outweighs the downside of the smaller beamwidth in the size antennas that people will be mounting on their boats.

@Bene505, As for getting connection from 1/2 a mile away... that's nothing. with clear line of sight, the 400mw transmitter (I pulled that spec from memory from some old sales material I saw when it was first coming out so it may be off), and a 12dBi antenna, you should be able to connect from 6 or 7 miles away. With properly aimed directional antennas and lower power transmitters than the bullet you have, I've completed links of nearly 30 miles

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.