Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 20 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless

Ron-
Bullet 2HP seems to be obsolete technology, it works with 802.11 b/g radios. For about five years now the 802.11 b/g/n standard has replaced that. The /n radios provide for greater speed and range.
If the hot spot you are logged into still uses an old router, there's no difference. If they've been keeping up with the times, the M2HP with the 802.11n ability should give you less interference, more range, faster throughput. Couple or five years down the line from now--the obsolete stuff will really be obsolete, so why buy into it now?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012

RonRock is on a distinguished road

Thanks I had read that the M2HP had the "n" ability, but was unsure if it was also able to work with the b/g standard. I'm with you on not buying old tech. So looks like the M2HP is the correct Bullet.

Now for the tricky question, what antenna?

Last edited by RonRock; 08-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Thanks I had read that the M2HP had the "n" ability, but was unsure if it was also able to work with the b/g standard. I'm with you on not buying old tech. So looks like the M2HP is the correct Bullet.

Now for the tricky question, what antenna?
I just purchased my Bulletm2hp from Islandtimepc. It is: Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC

I think it was about $250 total. You can probably build your own at a lower cost, but if your time is worth much, I would talk to Bob there. That price is for the whole system.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-27-2012

Goodtoknow is on a distinguished road

This is all greek to me. I am planning a trip from Florida to NY. Do these black boxes in the discussion extend the reach of wireless internet. How far?
Bruce
Old 08-28-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road

I just bought the kit from IslandTimePC and am happy. Bear in mind that most access points you pull in with the bullet will be WEP secured so you'll need a password from the marina to get on. I do NOT regret my purchase but just getting 50 access points to chose from does NOT ensure a fast connection. My marina where I am staging now before our cruise has CRAP internet, I get a great signal of a VERY slow connection. There are two parts to this puzzle.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

Old 11-28-2012

thesnort is on a distinguished road

Very unhappy with the overpriced, underpowered "The Wirie". And, if you don't get it back to them very quickly, they will keep your money. Count on zero refund if you fall outside their 10-day return policy.
For a third the price, you can do much better for yourself.
Old 11-30-2012

kiltym is on a distinguished road

This customer wanted to return his unit after 4 weeks of having it. We have only a 10-day return policy (which is flexible, assuming we are contacted by the customer, which in this case, we were not, he simply sent it back after having it for 4 weeks). And the unit was returned damaged.

He is upset we will not give him a refund and is now posting on numerous forums in an attempt to threaten us with bad publicity.

We will not comment further on this issue on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnort View Post
Very unhappy with the overpriced, underpowered "The Wirie". And, if you don't get it back to them very quickly, they will keep your money. Count on zero refund if you fall outside their 10-day return policy.
For a third the price, you can do much better for yourself.

- Sailing Blog
Old 11-30-2012

Seller had no complaints about the product returned to him. Then said it was damaged. Then said it had cosmetic issues.
Instead of refunding, he is sending the product back to me and keeping the money. The other forum is CF, where another forum member chimed in right away with a similar complaint.
I am not at all satisfied with the product and less satisfied to discover someone with questionable business practices.
Old 11-30-2012

kiltym is on a distinguished road

I am posting because of the false statement being provided by "thesnort".

As soon as the customer sent us an email (11/26/2012 6pm) stating he returned the product to us, we notified him immediately (11/26/2012 8pm) that we would not accept the return as it was 4 weeks since he received the item, and never contacted us to discuss the situation. We would certainly test the unit and confirm proper functionality when we received it, and then return it to him. This was the first email we ever received from him.

The email we sent him after receiving his returned unit (11/28/2012 7am) is posted on CF. I think it speaks for itself about the situation.

Please don't make up "facts". We have the entire communication thread between you and us, and I don't really think you want me to post that to set the record straight (probably nobody else does either ).

Our return policy is clearly stated on our site, and is agreed to when you checkout. We are sorry you don't agree with it, but slandering the product, after you have stated "I tried your product for a mere minutes", is a bit unnecessary as you have no idea, positive or negative, on how our product works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnort View Post
Seller had no complaints about the product returned to him.

- Sailing Blog
Old 12-01-2012

Product was purchased 10/15/12, received at least a week later. I sent product back WEEKS ago.
I would like a full refund for a product I do not want, consider enormously overpriced, and barely functional.
Your facts change to justify yourself.
Yes, please refer to the post on CF, which has been closed by a moderator.
Based on seller's business practices, I'm sure others would have chimed in as well if it had been left open. At any rate, any reasonable person can draw their own conclusions.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.