Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood1 View Post
Yeah, but all good points nonetheless. Another consideration is that it doesn't seem like the Alfa unit is weatherproof, or am I mistaken?
No, it isn't weather proof...

Quote:
I also remember reading somewhere that the high current demanded by a device like the Alfa could damage the PC USB port. Is that right?
Yes, but usually this is only a problem on older computers that don't have high-power USB 2.0 ports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, but all good points nonetheless. Another consideration is that it doesn't seem like the Alfa unit is weatherproof, or am I mistaken?

I also remember reading somewhere that the high current demanded by a device like the Alfa could damage the PC USB port. Is that right?
Rather than answer your questions with secondhand knowledge, check out this supplier of Alpha kits. I've met the guy & he has a good product but it didn't suit me for a permanent boat installation.

Some of his claims about the Bullet are untrue though particularly the bit about not be able to share a paid connection. He would have done better ignoring the competition given that there is no such thing as bad publicity

As you will see the Alpha is not waterproof per se but you can make it so & save a large sum of money over the kit price. I wouldn't worry about the USB power issue either.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Old 10-19-2010

jwood1 is on a distinguished road
Interesting.

So, which do you think would be better at providing a quality wifi connection at a distance:
Alfa + 8dBi antenna (with minimal coax connection)
vs
Nanostation 2 aimed correctly.

Assume both are mounted say, boom height.

The Alfa seems to have more power 1 watt vs 400 mw, but the directionality of the NS2 might moderate this difference, no?
Old 10-19-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
That sounds like a situation where you controlled both ends of the connection.

What about in a harbor trying to pick up a free wi-fi?
Some marinas are practically blasting their signal out over the water and would be reachable at a couple miles. This is due to having outside antennas and perhaps directional antennas to cover a large sprawling marina with several antennas.

Houses, on the other hand have their wireless access points/wireless routers inside and this result in signal loss. Those antenna are almost never directional but are rather omni-directional. So they are reachable at a much shorter distance, maybe 1/4 mile.

The third option is subscriber access points. Timewarner Cable and Optimum Online/Cablevision both have coverage in our area. I have Optimum, so there's another "free" (I pay at home) way.

with some creative anchor locating, you should be able to pick up somthing.

Best thing to do is get the highest gain antenna that you can fit (12 db), use a Bullet2HP (1 watt version) that connects right to the antenna (no cable loss) and mount it high up (N connector rivited to the mast). I like the POE injector inside the boat near the base of the mast, so if/when you have to take the mast down it becomes a natural disconnect point for the wires.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 01-16-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Bullet 2HP or M2HP are 800 mw, not 1 watt units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Best thing to do is get the highest gain antenna that you can fit (12 db), use a Bullet2HP (1 watt version) that connects right to the antenna (no cable loss) and mount it high up (N connector rivited to the mast). I like th ePOE injector inside the boat near the base of the mast, so if/when you have to take the mast down it becomes a natural disconnect point for the wires.

Regards,
Brad

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The Bullet 2HP or M2HP are 800 mw, not 1 watt units.
Now that's just plain picky

Jumping on the same bandwagon though the +/- in the spec could make a 2HP Tx 30dBm = 1 watt.

Old 10-19-2010
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Now that's just plain picky

Jumping on the same bandwagon though the +/- in the spec could make a 2HP Tx 30dBm = 1 watt.
If someone goes looking for a 1 watt Bullet 2hp... they might be looking a long time. It isn't picky, just precise.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-19-2010

Quote:
Interesting.

So, which do you think would be better at providing a quality wifi connection at a distance:
Alfa + 8dBi antenna (with minimal coax connection)
vs
Nanostation 2 aimed correctly.

Assume both are mounted say, boom height.

The Alfa seems to have more power 1 watt vs 400 mw, but the directionality of the NS2 might moderate this difference, no?
OK
NS2 Tx 26dBm + gain of its 11db dual polarity antenna's = 37dBm EIRP
Alfa Tx 30dBm + 8dB antenna = 38dBm EIRP

Scratching your bum would make a greater difference in their relative performance

I would go with the NS2 (not loco) for (marginally) best signal & the Alfa for max portability - the final choice is yours.

Old 10-19-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I thought I bought a 1 Watt Bullet2HP. Now I'm going to have to look at the box again.

One of these days, I'll have a webcam on the boat, so I can check on it -- can't do that as easily without an omni-directional antenna.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Some marinas are practically blasting their signal out over the water and would be reachable at a couple miles. This is due to having outside antennas and perhaps directional antennas to cove a large sprawling marine with several antennas.

Houses, on the other hand have their wireless access points/wireless routers inside and this result in signal loss. Those antenna are almost never direction but are rather omni-directional. So they are reachable at a much shorter distance, maybe 1/4 mile.

The third option is subscriber access points. Timewarner Cable and Optimum Online/Cablevision both have coverage in our area. I have Optimum, so there's another "free" (I pay at home) way.

with some creative anchor locating, you should be able to pick up somthing.

Best thing to do is get the highest gain antenna that you can fit (12 db), use a Bullet2HP (1 watt version) that connects right to the antenna (no cable loss) and mount it high up (N connector rivited to the mast). I like th ePOE injector inside the boat near the base of the mast, so if/when you have to take the mast down it becomes a natural disconnect point for the wires.

Regards,
Brad
Good info Brad. I've been using WiFi on a boat throughout the Caribbean, Bahamas & east coast US for seven years. Its only recently I've got around to having a long range system though.

I think way too much emphasis is put on the numbers & transmission strength of your setup. As its a two way thing, equally or more important is the sensitivity of your receiver & the gain of the antenna. Remember that many AP's you connect to will likely have less transmit power & a lower gain antenna even in marina's.

I've also found that the signal to noise ratio with any AP you are connected to is nothing like as important as the bandwidth of Internet throughput available at the AP's end. The actual "last mile" WiFi link will always have bandwidth way in excess of what's available coming in to the AP upstream, in all but worst case scenario's (i.e. weak 802.11b connection, lots of lost packets)

e.g. I am paying for access to a local AP running 802.11b about 200 yards away & am connected with a -45dBm signal. -50dBm (a weaker signal) is generally accepted as 100% signal strength, so its really blasting in, but the service although reliable is slow.

If I connect to another AP over 1km away using an 802.11g home router (I know 'cos I looked I get a signal of -88dBm, only 3dB above the noise floor. However I get considerably faster throughput from this under used AP than I do from the local one despite vastly superior signal, accepting the occasional dropout altogether. This sort of comparison bares out time & again.

Obviously with a heavily used AP the available Internet bandwidth is only enjoyed by the strongest connections. In this case power/sensitivity does count else your at the bottom of the list for sending/receiving packets, but at other times it seems not.

To sum up, subjective assessment of throughput is what counts not numbers.

Last edited by richardhula; 10-20-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.