Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I thought I bought a 1 Watt Bullet2HP. Now I'm going to have to look at the box again.

One of these days, I'll have a webcam on the boat, so I can check on it -- can't do that as easily without an omni-directional antenna.

Regards,
Brad
Yes, it's 1 watt (1000mW). At least according to the online sale. I would have noticed if it wasn't 1W after I received it, right?

Anyway, the website says they have 1 watt ones. Bullet | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 10-19-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

I just tried to buy one of these. I hit checkout and then had to register on their site.... and THEN it said:

Sorry, but we have minimum order sum of 200USD or 130EUR. Please add some more products to reach such TOTAL SUM.

Argh.

Need a Plan B on this one.

Regards,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Or.... click on image

and save a $

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 10-19-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Bene505;656455]I just tried to buy one of these. I hit checkout and then had to register on their site.... and THEN it said:

Sorry, but we have minimum order sum of 200USD or 130EUR. Please add some more products to reach such TOTAL SUM.

Argh.

Need a Plan B on this one.

Regards,
Brad[/QUOTE

Hmm... I bought all my stuff from their UK operation. Due to antenna OOS & me changing my mind, the order was changed several times but I don't think it ever hit that much.

Any road up as we say in Yorkshire I'm sure this sort of thing is available at a variety of outlets. Like you I was prepared to strip back the cables but for $4 it just wasn't worth it. In fact I also bought an AC powered 18v POE for testing at home.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Old 10-27-2010

Quote:
IN that case, you may have to power-up the Bullet after powering up the router. When I directly connect the laptop (via wires), I have to power up the Bullet last. THe same thin may be happening with a direct connection to the router. Not sure. It is certainly no big deal though.

Regards,
Brad
Nope - doesn't matter what order I power things up - as soon as Bullet has association with AP & local WLAN router has booted, I have full wireless Internet connectivity on my laptop. Not just once - every time.

BTW Brad have you got that 4 foot antenna at top of mast yet. Would like to know how well it performs.

On separate note I'm trying to gather facts (not theory) on performance of Bullet M2HP (which can only run in mixed b,g,n mode with present firmware) compared with Bullet 2HP. Specifically a comparison of throughput with each Bullet when connected in same configuration/antenna to same 802.11g AP running in mixed b/g mode, as most do around here.

Last edited by richardhula; 10-27-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-27-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Nope - doesn't matter what order I power things up - as soon as Bullet has association with AP & local WLAN router has booted, I have full wireless Internet connectivity on my laptop. Not just once - every time.

BTW Brad have you got that 4 foot antenna at top of mast yet. Would like to know how well it performs.
I have data (screenshots) comparing the 9db and the 12db antennas when hoisted aloft.

Last weekend I went up the mast and ran monofilament down the mast. That's for running the CAT5 cable. I was alone and actually feeding the cable down the mast (while pulling the fishing line from below) is a two man job. Oh, I could rig a block at the bottom of the mast to be able to do the whole thing from the top, but I have a friend visiting in a couple weeks and he's already been up there and done that with my wayward spinnaker line.

(There were no wave in the anchorage, and no boat traffic to speak of. While he was up there, I used a flag halyard and sent him up a beer and an opener.)

I plan on cutting one end off my 100' CAT5 cable and keeping the intact factory end at the top of the mast, and feeding the cut end through the mast. It will just fit through an existing hole at the top of the mast. The upper (intact) end I already have wrapped-up in white electrical tape, covering the Bullet2HP completely, all the way up to the antenna connector. I know they are pretty waterproof but I'm looking to improve that capability. And I don't need to see the signal strength lights -- I'm setting it to keep those LEDs turned off anyway.

Quote:
On separate note I'm trying to gather facts (not theory) on performance of Bullet M2HP (which can only run in mixed b,g,n mode with present firmware) compared with Bullet 2HP. Specifically a comparison of throughput with each Bullet when connected in same configuration/antenna to same 802.11g AP running in mixed b/g mode, as most do around here.
Looking forward to your results.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 01-16-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bene505—

I hope you got the tinned, stranded Cat 5 wire that is made by Belden. Anything else isn't really up to the task.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Bene505—

I hope you got the tinned, stranded Cat 5 wire that is made by Belden. Anything else isn't really up to the task.
No, I probably got the one that isn't up to the task!

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 10-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, a lot of Cat 5 is solid wire, which is really bad, since it fatigues really easily and will break fairly quickly if unsupported at any point. I hope you've at least got the stranded stuff, which will just corrode fairly quickly as opposed to breaking and then corroding fairly quickly.

Quote:
No, I probably got the one that isn't up to the task!

Regards,
Brad

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-28-2010

Quote:
Looking forward to your results.

Regards,
Brad
Actually was hoping someone here could tell me what they have achieved with Bullet M2HP & say 802.11g AP.

I have seen reported a real TCP throughput of 5Mbps achieved with one connected to an aging 802.11b AP. Given that the theoretical max is 6Mbps after allowing for collision avoidance overheads, this seems very good.

Old 10-28-2010
Telstar 28

Richard—

I've got a BM2HP on order...will let you know when I get a chance to test it.

Telstar 28
New England

Closed Thread