Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Actually was hoping someone here could tell me what they have achieved with Bullet M2HP & say 802.11g AP.

I have seen reported a real TCP throughput of 5Mbps achieved with one connected to an aging 802.11b AP. Given that the theoretical max is 6Mbps after allowing for collision avoidance overheads, this seems very good.
I consistently hit around 2.4Mbps using the Bullet2HP and a 12db omnidirectional antenna. The access point was about 3/4 mile away. It's really excellent throughput, IMHO. I can't wait to try watching movies using it.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 10-28-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I consistently hit around 2.4Mbps using the Bullet2HP and a 12db omnidirectional antenna. The access point was about 3/4 mile away. It's really excellent throughput, IMHO. I can't wait to try watching movies using it.

Regards,
Brad
Thanks for that, but was it b or g AP?

Unfortunately latest AirOS firmware doesn't show specifically which mode you are working with, although I have put in a request for this to be included with later versions.

If you look at AP Information (click on option at bottom of MAIN AirOS page) it lists historically the negotiated rates that your connection has achieved against signal level. If > 11M (Mbps) then you likely have g connection (max 54 Mbps).

Edit: Apologies - Bullet 2HP uses different AirOS so its Tx & Rx rate on Main page you need to look at.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Last edited by richardhula; 10-29-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-29-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Thanks for that, but was it b or g AP?

Unfortunately latest AirOS firmware doesn't show specifically which mode you are working with, although I have put in a request for this to be included with later versions.

If you look at AP Information (click on option at bottom of MAIN AirOS page) it lists historically the negotiated rates that your connection has achieved against signal level. If > 11M (Mbps) then you likely have g connection (max 54 Mbps).

Edit: Apologies - Bullet 2HP uses different AirOS so its Tx & Rx rate on Main page you need to look at.
Richard,

Not sure whether it was b or g.

I took some screen shots during the test of the 12db versus 9 db antenna. Here's one of them. Let me know if you need to see other screen shots.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 10-31-2010

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Given 18Mbps Rx rate looks like you had a g connection.

BTW what improvement on average (assuming there was such) did you get with 12dB v 9dB gain antenna?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Old 10-31-2010

ThereBePirates is on a distinguished road
I am assuming you are connecting to wireless networks in marinas or do you have a global network (mesh network) in the US which you can connect to?

Or maybe you are hacking into other peoples?
Old 10-31-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereBePirates View Post
I am assuming you are connecting to wireless networks in marinas or do you have a global network (mesh network) in the US which you can connect to?

I've thought about this a bit. There are hacking tools to break the encryption used to encrypt/protect wifii, but I don't use them. It just seems wrong. If someone is encrypting their wifi it's a sign that they don't want anyone using it.

In the summer, I have permission from the marina 3/4 miles away. In the winter, our marina includes their controlled access to any customer staying the winter.

I am also an Optimum/Cablevision customer at home which gives me access to their network of WiFi access points -- some of these access points are within reach of my long range wifi. It is also controlled access, they provide me with a password.

I also know several of the businesses/marinas in the area with wifi. If I asked, they wouldn't mind. (Don't need the connection though.) I find that if you ask nicely, that people don't mind. If in doubt, bring a bottle of wine when you ask. I would think if you buy diesel or gas there, they will let you connect -- and probably be amazed that you are the first one to ask.

Other marinas have a pay-for-service system in place. In a pinch I could pony-up and use theirs.

At home I keep the wifi unencrypted in case anyone needs a connection when they are nearby. Perhaps other home owners are doing something similar. Regardless, I'm subscribed to the backbone that is usually used in homes on Long Island (optimum/cablevision). I find that there's little reason to connect to homes, and homes usually have antennas inside, and perhaps on the wrong side of the house.

Right now, the marinas (that I have permission from) provide me all the bandwidth I need. But I wouldn't be opposed to lightly* using someone else's open connection, since that's what I do for others too. (*Lightly meaning not in a way that would affect them.)

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 10-31-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If someone has encrypted their network, hacking it is a felony. Not really a wise idea IMHO. There are usually plenty of open (unencrypted) networks in a given area that hacking an encrypted one makes very little sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereBePirates View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-31-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sd, even without encryption, in some states it is a specific count of "theft of services" or other criminal charge simply to USE someone else's wifi signal.

There's a long established convention to name wifi networks with names like "Guests Welcome" or "Free WiFi" to indicate that someone intentionally is allowing access. And, a very similar name (Free wifi network?) that is created by WindowsXP systems on their own under certain circumstances. Apparently popular enough that malware warnings have gone out about it, because folks *think* it is free wifi, while it actually is sometimes a site set up to scan and steal from passing traffic.

Caveat emptor and all that good stuff.
Old 10-31-2010

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
I'd be very careful using unencrypted wifi, unless you encrypt everything with a VPN, etc. Sidejacking attacks are fairly easy for websites that encrypt the login only, and does everything else in clear text. Google "firesheep" for more info.
Old 10-31-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I'd be very careful using unencrypted wifi, unless you encrypt everything with a VPN, etc. Sidejacking attacks are fairly easy for websites that encrypt the login only, and does everything else in clear text. Google "firesheep" for more info.
Encrypted WiFi isn't much better in that respect, since all the people connecting to the same access point or hotspot are effectively unencrypted to anyone else on the network unless they're using a VPN.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Closed Thread