Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-02-2009

Artz is on a distinguished road
Wish I had some photos to post. Ever try to sand flies off an LP paint job? sand paper seems to clog up pretty fast. I was lucky that the owner had a heart and we split the cost of redoing the one side.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
It sands nice IF you have a about 20+ days to let it cure not so nice within the first week

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2009

Gary M is on a distinguished road
HI all I am considering doing my deck. Painted my mast and boom with a brush and Alwgrip last year and was very happy with the results.

I have an S2 and as anyone who has sailed on one knows they have a very aggressive diamond cut nonskid. What do you do with that. I know you could just grind it off but since it is really too sharp as it is what about cleaning it, priming it and then top coating it ?

Suggestions

Gary
Old 10-03-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
HI all I am considering doing my deck. Painted my mast and boom with a brush and Alwgrip last year and was very happy with the results.

I have an S2 and as anyone who has sailed on one knows they have a very aggressive diamond cut nonskid. What do you do with that. I know you could just grind it off but since it is really too sharp as it is what about cleaning it, priming it and then top coating it ?

Suggestions

Gary
I painted right over my non skid. The pattern wasn't as aggressive as an S2, but I think you can get good results. I sprayed my deck with Interlux Perfection, and the non skid areas got Intergrip added to the paint. I was very surprised and pleased with the way the intergrip sprayed out of the gun and with the way it stayed suspended in the paint (unlike sand based products).

Buy the best respirator money can buy. Epoxy paint is deadly toxic when sprayed. 202 hurts your lungs and is likely toxic as well. I bought 2 HVLP spray guns at Cummins Tools (similar to harbor freight) and threw them away when I finished with them. You can use lacquer thinner to clean them, but they're cheap guns.

The first step is cleaning. That sucked bad. You have to use Interlux 202 solvent and BRONZE wool. Pour on a little 202 then scrub like hell with the bronze wool, then wipe it off with a paper towel. You'll be amazed at how much crap will come off. Once you've scrubbed every inch of the deck, start over and do it again. Now carefully mask everything you don't want painted all the way to the waterline. I can't stress enough the importance of using good tape. Buy your tape at an automotive paint store, it's twice the money but worth every penny. Touch up any places that you got dirty. I bought a box of shoe covers at a medical supply store. I slipped them on as I was on the ladder before stepping on the boat. They saved me a bunch of problems.

I primed the deck, then waited overnight and primed it again. I didn't do any prep work in between. I used flattening agent on my deck because I didn't want the sun reflecting into my eyes. It's also easier to hide mistakes. A 50/50 mix of paint and flattening agent gave me a nice finish somewhere between a satin and semi-gloss. A pearly glow is a better description. I sprayed white paint on all areas that didn't have non skid on them. No need to tape off the non skid for this, just let it overlap. Then another coat of white. Now the real fun part. Taping off the non skid. I used 1/8 inch striping tape (blue plastic tape) around the edges of the non skid, then taped and masked off from there. That took about 10 hours, maybe a little more. Then I sprayed the non skid areas with Oyster color paint with flattening agent and a lot of Intergrip.

The result was a very grippy deck that looks great. You can still see a little bit of the non skid pattern, but it looks great.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 10-03-2009

Tommays,
I was talking about sanding off all the Flies that imbeded themsleves in my paint job. Fly guts tended to clug up the 220 grit paper.
Old 10-03-2009
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
I painted a 70 Chevelle with IMRON LP and also had a flock of flies in it. I just let it cure well and removed them from the knees up. I'm not so brave on the boat. I sprayed the transom with gelcote instead of perfection and it just needed a lite sand and buffing. I just had to wait for a quiet AM with no rain to wash the PVA off.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 10-03-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz View Post
Wish I had some photos to post. Ever try to sand flies off an LP paint job? sand paper seems to clog up pretty fast. I was lucky that the owner had a heart and we split the cost of redoing the one side.
I told my painter about this and he said " man, i would pay for pics of something like that. People have no clue what we go through!" lol
I know it sucked for you but i have a vivid mind pic of it.
Old 10-07-2009

I will Have to get some of my old photos scanned and on the computer. Non of my breaded boat.
US27inKS glad your decks came out like they did. Call me crazy but I loved doing non skid decks. I perfected a a system for taping off that made it go a lot faster. When the job is done right it looks great. reading all this is getting my trigger finger itchy. I need to get my hands on a nice big Binks sraygun again.

Last edited by Artz; 10-07-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2009

RachelFail is on a distinguished road
Dieselboy, I posted the pics of the Cal 29 transom remod on the post "over my head"

Old 10-07-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
I saw that. My boat is a bit different.. I cant do that to mine " as nice as that would be".