SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

StarBoard material?

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  CaptainForce 
#1 ·
This may have been asked in another thread, but a search brought too many references to starboard to weeed through. Anyways, why is the StarBoard material so expensive? Are there any (cheap) alternatives? I need to make new companionway hatchboards; I thought a "plastic" type material such as the StarBoard might be the way to go, until I saw the prices - ouch! Any thoughts?

#4 ·
Why not use wood? You can always paint it if you want the white color.

If you build it with either marine (preferred) or exterior plywood, make sure you seal it well with an epoxy primer or thinned epoxy resin. Once cured, sand and paint. This seems to me to be the least expensive and easiest solution.

Just a thought...

#5 ·
Starboard would be a bit heavy for companionway hatchboards in any case - and too pricey.

Standard Acrylic or Lexan (let cost be your guide) works well, and lets light in too. If you want the privacy you can get coloured acrylics, remember that even heavily "smoked" plexi is transparent when there's more light inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.