Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-15-2002

RookieHunter is on a distinguished road
I give up! Bottom Painting

I have been trying to coordinate with the local yards to get my boat on jacks to paint the bottom. It has been sanded and in my yard for over 30 days. Problem is that they don''t do weekends and I work 45-60 hours during the week with no off days. Is it possible to paint a trailerable 23'' fixed keel sailboat in your yard with jacks. Apparently the yards use small cranes to life the boat. Are there not any jacks that can lift a boat off the trailer manually. At my current rate I need to take two days off work to paint the bottom and it can''t include a weekend. Then the paint requires the boat be in the water a short time after painting. With shortened days, that is possibly another off day. I would love to paint it in my driveway on wednesday-Friday and sail on Saturday or Sunday. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2002

Peter_pan is on a distinguished road

Hi guy
Just depends on how heavy your boat is. a 5 ton floor jack can lift a small boat with ease. the trick is stabelizing it once it''s up. finding the c/g on the keel can be fun too. be sure to use at least a 2x4 between the jack and the keel.
Have fun!
Jim
Old 12-15-2002

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, choose a different bottom paint that doesn''t require getting wet after application. That way, if something comes up, you are not obligated to get it wet, or start over.
Old 12-16-2002

jparker11 is on a distinguished road

RookieHunter,

You said it was a fixed keel, 23''er, on a trailer, right??? You probably have a four pad support and a keel cradle.

If you have a four pad trailer, you should be able to stabilize the boat with a ground mounted support, allowing you to release each pad sequentially to complete the painting under the pads. You can re-extend/reload the pads with a bottle jack.

For the areas hindered by the keel cradle, I take the near empty can of paint to the launch and complete the painting at that time. If you really want to complete this prior to launch, you will need a second support to the one needed above. Jack the trailer as high as the tongue jack allows, position the supports athwartship forward of the keel, and lower the trailer tongue. This should allow painting of the forward section of the keel.

Jack the trailer back up and remove the supports. Lower the tongue back down as low as it will go, position the jackstands at the aft end and jack the trailer tongue. This should expose the back of the keel.

There are things to a look out for, such as excessive hull deflection at the support locations. I generally try to get near bulkhead locations with the temporary supports.

Just did my Cal (Displacement = 7000#) this way. Took an afternoon.

Good Luck
Old 12-16-2002

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

If your trailer has rollers instead of pads, painting the bottom is easy. First, paint all of the bottom and keel, except for the areas under the rollers and the bottom of the keel. Then connect the trailer to your tow vehicle. Lower the bar that supports the keel. Loosen the cable and safety chain that connect to the bow eye, so that there is about six inches of slack. (Only loosen them. Do not disconnect them.) Put the tow vehicle in forward gear and step on the gas gently. The boat should roll back six inches. Then loosen the cable and safety chain another six inches and roll the boat back again. That should allow plenty of room to paint under the rollers and the bottom of the keel. Be sure your trailer, winch and cable are all in good condition before you do this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.