Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-18-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I don't use tool boxes. They have sharp corners that not only don't fit anywhere, but have a way of banging into something that has a nice finish on it.

I use Gatemouth bags like this one:

You'll love it.
I got to thinking that canvas bags might be a better idea than tool boxes. Perhaps a couple small tackle boxes, one for electrical, one for general maintenance, one for the engine, one for the head... all in a canvas bag with the power tools.

I am still trying to wash out the conventional storage mantra of straight edges, corners and lots of space I currently have in my condo and start to see things as a little more curved and utilitarian.

Can I do without this? and Would I be at a loss without it? are my new guiding questions. I fear sorting out my kitchen, as a trained chief you wouldn't believe the number of gadgets I have accumulated over the years. First thing to do will be 'If I have not had it in my hands for the last 3 months, it can go.'
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2009

Wiley1 is on a distinguished road
You are oobviously not a tool freak. Lots to add but if you don't find you need them up to this point then perhaps you can get by. However,

I'd add: hacksaw with lots of extra blades, two quart kit A-788 Splash Zone; sealed plastic tube containing at least a dozen S.S. welding rods (welders are available everywhere specialized rods not so much); pin punch set; hole punch set, two sizes of water pump pliers (sometimes called Channel Locks); tin snips; 2 4" "C" clamps; clamp on vise; a couple sizes of spring clamps; if truly going remote, then a breast drill (Peugeot Freres still makes a nice two speed model that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) because that cordless is going to die (or the charger) or you are going to need to drill some serious holes in some hard to drill material)... I could think of lots more but I would suggest you sit and ponder "How would I repair...?" for a while and think of the tools needed. Hatchet, entrenching tool, machete, strap wrench..... and on and on.

Some tools you will perhaps never need but should you need them you will be glad you had them. During a lecture I attended given by the late Irving Johnson he was describing getting the Yankee stuck on a sandbar up the Amazon River. He went on to say how he dug out the gear he had stowed many years before for just such an predicament and proceeded to extricate the Yankee. So if you aren't going far then the specialized tools are so much needed but if going over the horizon it is perhaps an entirely different matter. Like I was told years ago when I first went to Alaska: "If you didn't bring it with you, don't expect to find it here."

Bests,
Wiley
Old 09-18-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Cafeteria tray to do the messy work on.

Rebuild the carb, clean fish, carry the varnish can, bang/saw/drill on, etc.

This week, rebuilt the furler drum on it. Last week, greased 4 winches.

I have had the same on efor 20 years and it looks terrible!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Rebuild the carb, clean fish, carry the varnish can, bang/saw/drill on, etc.

This week, rebuilt the furler drum on it. Last week, greased 4 winches.

I have had the same on efor 20 years and it looks terrible!
That would be an interesting photo! And thanks for that, I would never have thought of getting on.

Now I just have to figure out how to get one out of the mall food court.
Old 09-18-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
A co-worker boosted it from Popey's. I found itin a closet when we were moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
That would be an interesting photo! And thanks for that, I would never have thought of getting on.

Now I just have to figure out how to get one out of the mall food court.
But I am sure you could find a plastic serving tray in a kitchen store. Though I like the history behind mine better; the guy who boosted it got to do real time for bribery and INS violations years later!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
- Ratcheting screwdriver with interchangeable bits.
- Hand-drill (Fiskars type)
- Knife with a flexible blade (really old steak knife as it happens)

scrape and clean, drill, seal, attach
Old 09-18-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Everybody will carry tools for their level of ability. As jobs come up you will purchase more as needed. But here's a few I carry. Circlip pliers, jewellers files, wrenches to fit stuffing box that are small enough to be used in those confines, socket(s) for keel bolts and a ratchet big enough to move them, sockets and wrenches for all the odd things on the engine or the rest of the boat. One item I treasure is a 4" long ratchet for screwdriver bits (the hex kind), bought on impulse at the cash register of a hardware store and it's proven invaluable for hard to reach places. A Dremel with flex drive is a must have for me. I try to be organized but am currently doing a complete rewire of my 12 volt system as well as working on other peoples' boats. I like the soft bags but would want it to be somewhat waterproof. I keep all my power tools in a plastic bin under the v-berth sprayed with wd-40 where appropriate. Almost forgot - PB Blaster, rivet gun with rivets, and a few good flastlights that will stand up on their own. Clamp on types work well also.
Brian
Old 09-18-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Not mentioned so far:
- small cosmetic mirror for viewing around, under and into places you would otherwise never see
- bolt cutters for clearing away a downed rig in a hurry

Many of your cordless tools can be run directly off your 12V system even if the voltage is not a direct match.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-18-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
For wrenches, get some ratcheting wrenches. When working in a confined space where it's difficult to get the wrench on something in the first place, the ratcheting wrench is worth its weight in gold. For socket wrenches, do not get the inexpensive sets. Get really heavy duty socket wrenches. We broke several of the cheap ones and then got some Sears Craftmen socket wrenches. We can hammer on the things all day (which has happened) and they don't give an inch. On the cheap ones, you lose half your power in the flex of the handle. A rubber mallet, chisel set, etc. are very handy. I'll have to go through our kit later. For storage (in addition to the larger nylon toolbag we have), we bought these pouches from Loews. They are $12 for two. We use one for all of our pliers, another for all of our screwdrivers, another for all of our wrenches, and the last for all of our electrical connectors. By the way (no relation here), but good quality electrical supplies can be bought from GenuineDealz.com - Marine Electrical, Boat Wire & Cable, Custom Battery Cables. Oh yes - a good ratcheting screwdriver with storage for tips in the handle is very handy. Just make sure you get good quality tools. We prefer craftsmen since we can replace them, no questions asked, when we're in the US. Oh yes - other things - Black and Decker Mouse Sander (we have lots of wood), headlamps (energizer LED ones are great - the red light is really a red light, not a red plastic cover).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 09-18-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
By the way - regarding inverters and power tool charging - if you have a modified sine wave inverter it MAY burn out your chargers. It's a known issue (and unfortunately one that we have).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me