Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-18-2009

jeanfrancoissavard is on a distinguished road
redoing decks

Hi, im looking at redoing my decks next spring on my 41 morgan out/island.. i know big job! I would like to get feedbacks from people who have dealth with this kind of job. Most of the core is rotten or moist..im thinking about using close cell foam as a core instead of a wood core and add glass on ribs in between the laminates to add strenght. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I am doind the same in a few small areas. The best resources I have found are the Plastic classic forum and Northern Yacht Restoration. Here are the links:
The Plastic Classic Forum • Index page
Northern Yacht Restoration | Tim Lackey:* One Man, One Boat at a Time
Brian
Old 09-18-2009

georgefmys is on a distinguished road
Have much experience with core repairs large and small.I prefer Coosa foam panels and epoxy resin.Use their stiffest grade panel (it has glass reinforcement built in) and you wont need any other structural support ,at least in open deck areas.Read West System Fiberglass boat repair.
Old 09-18-2009

Definitely epoxy instead of polyester. Balsa is still one of the best if not the best core material. Conforms to dercks that are not flat, reasonably inexpensive, bonds well abd by design water will not migrate easily. Whatever core you use, make sure no bolts go through core - solid at those locations. If that had been done originally there wouldn't be such an industry recoring decks.
Brian
Old 09-19-2009
Member at large

GilStump is on a distinguished road
I recently redid my decks. Yep it was hard. My PO had started the repairs from below, which made it even more difficult. I like Balsa. I used Marine Grade plywood under the genny track areas and Balsa everywhere else. I overdid it with thickened epoxy and left extra room for solid core around any hole in the deck. And then I glassed upside down! Don't overthink it. Jump in. Do it. When you finish you can say, "I'm Done!" I had a helluva party afterward, let me tell you.
Please don't google me.
Old 09-19-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
One of the best things I did was set up scaffold around the perimeter, so that instead of trying to bend over on my hands and knees the whole time, I was a a very comfortable height. Purchase your own moisture meter, and learn to use it. You can easily recoup its cost by not opening areas which are sound. I used a sharpie to do readings on the entire deck, then starting at the highest readings, drilled cores, working down the #'s till I hit dry core. Several more cores from lower readings confirmed I had all the moisture. Working alone I could cut out with a skil saw, bevel deck edges with an angle grinder with a 36 grit flap wheel, chisel out wet balsa with a 1" sharp chisel and a comfottable hammer, clean up and vacuum repair area, grind smooth bottom skin, fit and bond new balsa, and bag on 2 layers of glass in 6 hours to about 20 sq ft. measure and layout everything dry before you start. Work in bite size pieces you can handle each day. If you have genoa tracks, and other assorted hardware to areas you remove, before you apply the top skin, use the old fiberglass that you removed to mark where the bolts went through, and over drill and fill with thickened epoxy. easier to do it before you glass, than after. Have fun.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2010

jeanfrancoissavard is on a distinguished road
I think i will be going with wood instead of foam ...I prefer the strengh, feel ill be more confortable working with wood... im not sure if ill use balsa or plywood. Any suggestion?
Old 02-14-2010

Balsa is a good core material. It's strong and light. Because it is end grain if any water does get in it will not travel far. Plywood is the worst core. It's heavy and if water gets in it will travel between the plies and cause big problems. Also balsa will follow the curve of the deck better.
Old 02-14-2010

catamount is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I've documented two deck-recoring projects of my own:

One where I did the work from the inside, underneath, on my San Juan 21

The Second where I worked more traditionally from the top on my Peterson 34: Start Here

Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 02-14-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
catamount

i was looking forward to learning from you pictures but there seem to have broken links today

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat