Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-17-2002

skyamsen is on a distinguished road
Mast step Compresion?

I have just purchased a 1980 C&C 25 Mk2 It has about a 3/4" of deck compresion at the mast at deck level. The boat was surveyed by a good surveyor and he said that it souldn''t be a problem as it wasn''t stuctuaral. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I fix this soon and if so how? Do I need to get a shop to do it? Or should I just leave it alone. there are no cracks in the gelcoat at all. Thanks for any help. Is this a HUGE problem????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2002

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Mast step Compresion?

I had the same problem on my C22. There was a strong-back in the companionway under the mast step and some other rigs had been installed that were supposed to support the mast. But my suspicion was that the core material under the mast step was degrading and no shoring up from down below was going to help. I opted to take care of the problem at the deck level, with out tearing the deck apart.

I made a strong-back by laminating 6 pieces of ¼ inch thick oak, just wider then the mast step fitting and long enough to span the width of the companionway below. This allowed me to spread the compression load over good coring and to the up-rights on either side of the companionway that were originally meant to take this load. I molded it to fit the crown of the cabin top and finished it when it had cured.

This was epoxied and fastened in place with screws from below. The mast step fitting was through-bolted to this and through a doubler below. The indentation where the mast was originally stepped was filled with marine bondo. I hacked 1-½ inches off of the mast so that the rigging length would remain the same.

Now, my new mast step was far stronger then the original and it served as a great place to attach the turning blocks for the halyards to be lead to the cockpit too!

Incidentally, while I was making this piece, my step-dad and I got into a “discussion” as to its strength. To prove each other’s point we took the thing into the yard and set it up on wood blocks at each end and set another on top at the middle. On top of this, my step-dad lowered the bucket of one of his backhoes and in an attempt to break it, put on the pressure! The thing didn’t even flinch and the backhoe’s rear end was lifted clean off the ground!

You can show me all kinds of test results and paperwork from the epoxy manufacturers, but when it comes to my boat, that test superseded them all!

Old 12-17-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Mast step Compresion?

Pirate, the problem is these are short lived materials and while they may have held in the shorthaul, this is not a permanent fix. Bondo in particular has very poor charactreristics when exposed to flexing over time. Soory Dude, this is very bad advice on how to solve the problem at hand.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2002

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Mast step Compresion?

All I can tell ya'' is that it worked and held up well. 5 years and showing no signs of fatigue when I sold the boat, and I wasn''t one to baby her either. The bondo, a marine type, was used as a filler only and was not under any pressure or movement. In fact, the entire original mast step area was bridged by the new piece and all of the forces were transferred to different areas of the deck. That spot was filled only to keep moisture out from causing further damage. The oak held up well as it was laminated and sealed with epoxy, then all was sealed and painted over to match the scheme of the boat.

I suppose the other action would be to remove the fiberglass around the step and remove and replace the degraded materials and re-glass it over. Still, unless the area is built up, it would never be as strong as the original step.

Sorry to disagree with you again but if I was presented with a similar problem, I’d still respond exactly as I did then. But that’s highly unlikely as my Jes is keel stepped. What would you do if faced with this problem?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.